IGNORED

Teaching English in Thailand

After working as a programmer for 4 years I'm now finally fed up being stuck in a tiny office cubicle all day. I've traveled around the world by myself and worked in different western countries, but now I'm keen to try something completely different. So I'm considering signing up for a TEFL course for a month in Thailand next April and perhaps look for some work as a English teacher after.

I've got a degree in computer science (BSc) and I've been in the process of learning to read/write/speak the Thai language for about a year now (I've had my patches of months where I've slacked off, but all in all I'm going okay).

I've been to Thailand 3 times before and absolutely love it. I love being surrounded by the Thai people, I really get a good vibe from them and enjoy their friendliness and sense of humor, it reflects well on me and I just find it really pleasant when I'm over there. And of course the Thai girls are amazingly hot, I would be lying if said that wasn't an incentive!

However, I know this won't be the same as previous trips I've had, but I'm really looking forward to the experience, whatever it may bring. It's a chance to experience living in a foreign culture and I see it as a huge and potentially rewarding challenge. It's worth giving it a shot, right?

I have a few questions for those who have done this before:

• Is it easy to teach English with limited knowledge of the Thai language?
  • What sort of pay will I be looking at as a beginner with a TEFL qualification and university degree?
  • Is it possible to teach other subjects over there (eg. computers/IT) ?
  • I enjoy kids a lot, but I'm not sure if I can handle a classroom of 60 of them, is it really difficult teach that many? Would I be better suited to teaching English to a smaller group of a adults? and which of these options has a higher demand?
  • What sort of lifestyle can you live while working as a teacher? I'm trying to gauge the salary and cost of living expenses. I'm planning to take $25k over with me too. Ideally I don't want to blow all of that though - I've got to get over to Canada next year for a wedding, which will cost me an arm and a leg.
  • Whats the deal with the working visa when you're an English teacher? Do I have to do one of those crazy border runs every so often?
  • Can you recommend any good places to get my TEFL (or something similar) qualification? Is it worth doing on the internet before I travel to Thailand? Is 4 weeks going to be too crammed to do the course in? information overload?

Thanks heaps in advance fellas!

I have seen some jobs in Bangkok, About 40,000 baht a month 31 days not weekly as in every 7 days, You will have to find you own accomadation, You can take a test or go on a course in Thailand to Teach , Dont think its that hard, You will not make a good living , The boarder run has to be done every 90 days , But thats not a problem just a pane in the arse , They are looking into it to change a few things, The kids are the same as anywere else as they do kids things , dont listen, ignor you ,Insult you in Thai .Its a mine field , Think some teachers or old teachers on this site will tell you , It depends what you want out of it , Best of luck

Two sites that will help answer all of your questions:

1) http://eslcafe.com

Great ESL resource for all countries. There's a subforum for Thailand although it's not always very active. Still, this will make you aware of all the pros and cons of teaching ESL, best way to find a job, what to look for/avoid, etc.

2) http://ajarn.com/

This site is specific to ESL in Thailand and will provide you with lots of great info.

I was considering a career change to ESL in Thailand as well, but decided I would not be happy with the lousy pay. I make good money where I live (working in a tiny cubicle like you) and am just not willing to work for peanuts.

Good luck in your exploration and whatever you decide to do.

How can you tell if your wife is dead?

The sex is the same, but the dishes pile up.

You have asked the right questions. I wish you luck if you go the teaching route. You should be aware that several new teacher qualification regulations have been proposed, and no one knows if they are going to be enforced. The worst case scenario is that you would have to attend a 2 day Thai culture course and take a test (cost about 6000 baht) and take a teacher certification exam (5000 baht cost). The big issue has been that the teacher certification exam is very difficult and the course to study for the exam is 6 months-1 year long and costs at least 60,000 baht. It is believed that none of these new regulations will be enforced when they go into effect in May '09, but some provinces, including Bangkok immigration, may require a teacher's certification to renew your visa. Keep informed with ajarn.com on these requirements going into next year.

Is it easy to teach English with limited knowledge of the Thai language?

No Thai skills are required (I have none). In fact, some schools prefer their native English speakers not to speak Thai to the students in the classroom. There is, however, an advantage to understanding spoken Thai, so that you're students aren't screwing around behind your back.

[*]What sort of pay will I be looking at as a beginner with a TEFL qualification and university degree?

Depending on where you work. Bangkok starting entry level teacher's pay is 40,000-50,000 baht per month. Other provinces range from 25,000-35,000. I have one year under my belt now and am earning 70,000 baht/month.

Is it possible to teach other subjects over there (eg. computers/IT) ?

Definitely, but the problem is that schools prefer to hire computer/IT teachers from the Philippines, many of whom have a B.Ed., the preferred degree for all teaching jobs. You will find it easier to land a job teaching English than computer/IT, and the entry-level pay will be better. You might eventually locate a 2nd tier international school or university that needs a native speaking computer/IT teacher. It will be easier to land that kind of position once you have one or two years of teaching in Thailand under your belt. Second tier international school and university salaries are 60,000-80,000 baht/month.

I enjoy kids a lot, but I'm not sure if I can handle a classroom of 60 of them, is it really difficult teach that many? Would I be better suited to teaching English to a smaller group of a adults? and which of these options has a higher demand?

No classroom should have 60 students. You might see as many as 55. With that many students in a class, you shouldn't accept the position unless you are assigned a Thai co-teacher for classroom management. I have occasionally taught in that situation, and it isn't as bad as it sounds. The real downside is that many activities and games cannot be used in large classroom settings. You would only see large classes like this in the biggest government schools. My school (the largest government school in Rayong province) has classes as big as 54 students, but most classes are about 40 students. My largest class is 26 students, and my smallest is 20.

There is equally high demand for teachers of adults and children. There are four basic teaching venues: government schools, language centers, universities and international/private schools. Typically, adults are taught either in a language center or at their place of work (like a factory). Corporate teaching pays well, but it is difficult to obtain employment that will provide a work permit/visa, as most corporate/adults only take classes in the evenings and on weekends. Most corporate classes are 8-20 students. Adults also take classes at language centers, but you could just as easily teach smaller classes to children of any age group at a language center. Language centers are exempt from a lot of the new requirements being suggested for teachers at government schools, because their teachers work under the label of "consultants" and not teachers. International schools and private schools have smaller classes (no more than 30 students). At international and private schools, you have to deal with a lot more demands from parents and school administration. University teaching is a possibility, and the pay is good, but you may have difficulty getting hired without a master's or B.Ed.

What sort of lifestyle can you live while working as a teacher? I'm trying to gauge the salary and cost of living expenses. I'm planning to take $25k over with me too. Ideally I don't want to blow all of that though - I've got to get over to Canada next year for a wedding, which will cost me an arm and a leg.

That depends where you live. In Bangkok or Pattaya, you would have to be very frugal your first year teaching and U.S. $25K is not going to get you through your first year, especially if you take a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA course, and will not teach your first 3 months in Thailand. Living expenses, especially housing in Bangkok and Pattaya, is very high compared to outlying areas. In the outer provinces, 30,000 baht/month is a tough go, but 50,000 baht/month is manageable. You are not going to get rich teaching, but, after a few years, you can live comfortably.

Whats the deal with the working visa when you're an English teacher? Do I have to do one of those crazy border runs every so often?

I obtained a Non-Immigrant Multi-Entry "B" Visa in the U.S. I had to make one border run after 3 months, because my work permit was not yet tied into my visa. It was not that bad actually. Once you get your work permit tied into your visa, you won't have to make a border run, unless you have an unanticipated change of employers (which revokes your work permit). You will have to complete a 90-day reporting form at immigration every 3 months, and your school needs to make a run once a year to immigration and the ministry of labor to renew your visa and work permit. Some schools require that you do this yourself, or go with their paperwork person, so that you can sign your work permit. The 90-day reporting requirement is mandatory for all foreigners and is painless. The once a year WP/visa run is somewhat of a hassle, but it's tolerable, and only requires you go to the main government offices in the province in which you work.

Can you recommend any good places to get my TEFL (or something similar) qualification? Is it worth doing on the internet before I travel to Thailand? Is 4 weeks going to be too crammed to do the course in? information overload?

A TEFL/TESOL/CELTA is not required. Your Bachelor's degree is enough to get teaching jobs everywhere but international schools and universities (which are looking for a B.Ed. and master's degree). If you intend to teach in countries other than Thailand, get your TEFL certificate in the U.S./U.K. or Australia. A TEFL from Thailand is worthless in any other country.

If you want to get a TEFL in Thailand so that you are prepared to teach on Day 1, take a 6-10 week course which has substantial evaluated teaching practice. There are several good schools like Text and Talk, International House, ECC and AUA. Do not take an online course or cram course. You're just throwing away your money. A good TEFL course will teach you fundamental teaching theory, Thai cultural awareness useful in classrooms, and provide actual classroom teaching experience.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

Great feedback :Party1:

thanks heaps fellas!

zaphodbeeblebrox,

How long have you been teaching English over there?

What do you miss from your former country?

And what do you like most about teaching English over there?

Edited by another_addict

This job ad was posted today on ajarn.com. If I were you, this is exactly the type of entry-level position I would take.

Full Time MEP Computer Teacher - SS High School - Chonburi (Thailand)

We are looking for an English native speaker to teach Computer and English classes in our MEP. Starting salary is 30,000 baht a month. Contract is for the next semester commencing this November. Our School is located near Pattaya City in Chonburi. We are a big High School and have 8 foreign teachers at the moment. Successful applicant will teach 25-35 students, about 20 hours per week in air-conditioned classrooms equipped with audio visual aids. We need someone with education and/ or experience in IT field, knowledgeable in various computer applications. A Bachelor degree is required. Visa and work permit will be processed and paid for by the School.

No TEFL/TESOL/CELTA required. Your students will be the top students in the school and their parents probably pay about 40,000 baht/year to get them into the MEP program. Notice the limitation on class size. You get to teach IT/Comp Sci and English. Once you put in some time at this type of school, you could qualify for one of those second tier international schools or university at at least double this pay scale.

zaphodbeeblebrox,

How long have you been teaching English over there?

What do you miss from your former country?

And what do you like most about teaching English over there?

I moved to Thailand in July '07 and began teaching in September '07, about two weeks before I completed my TEFL.

The things I miss from the U.S.: rock concerts and Hawaii (Thailand is close to Hawaii in natural beauty, but I miss the HRC cuisine). I also miss Boddington Pub Ale, but that's a Manchester export and not from the U.S. All in all, I don't miss that much. It would be nice to get a little more sports coverage on TV, but I've adjusted by becoming a big fan of the EPL, NRL and F1 racing.

The thing I like the most about teaching English is the freedom and satisfaction from teaching material that I enjoy. Yesterday, I taught my MEP students about the British invasion of rock music from 1964-1967. For the most part, I am supposed to create my own curriculum (I am a little more restricted when teaching business English to corporate clients). Teaching western culture is required pursuant to the Thai national education standards. This Friday, I will be teaching about Halloween. MEP students are great and a lot of fun. Out of a school of 5,000 students, I have often been told that my 90 students are the happiest students in the school.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com