IGNORED

Tsunami Sushi Buffet on 3rd Road

Evil Penevil

post-9139-0-18240300-1458998380.jpg  Forgive me, reader, for I have sinned.

I made a classic beginner's mistake in leaving my apartment without checking the battery in my camera or making sure I had an extra battery.  I got to the restaurant and discovered the battery was dead.  Since I couldn't take  pics of the meal we had, I am forced to lift some from the restaurant's Facebook page.  I don't like to do this, but I doubt the restaurant will care and the use of copyrighted photos for reviews is permissible under copyright law as it falls under "fair use."  The pics are representative, but the photos of the tempura and salmon sashimi closely matched what had been served us.

Next time I visit Tsunami, I'll be sure to check my camera's battery.

post-9139-0-17103500-1458998377.jpg

Tsunami Sushi Buffet on 3rd Road featured some of the best Japanese food I've eaten in Pattaya.  Top-quality and fresh ingredients were prepared and presented properly to give us a memorable meal at the modest cost of 449 baht per person for all you can eat. Most customers will quite rightly focus on sashimi and sushi, but Tsunami's extensive menu includes plenty of tasty options.  The tempura was perfect. The slices of mushroom grilled on skewers, as well as grilled fish, were delicious. Standard Japanese "comfort foods" such as katsu don and Japanese-style curry with rice are also available, but I can't imagine why anyone would go to an all-you-can-eat sushi place and order a pork cutlet. 

post-9139-0-95580700-1458998383.jpg

The 449-baht fixed price includes unlimited Japanese tea (hot or iced) and a small dessert (ice cream/sherbert). If you want beer with your meal, a bottle of SML costs 65 baht and other bottled beers in the50-to-60-baht range. Saki and wine are also available, but I have no idea about prices.

post-9139-0-29449200-1458998388.jpg

Be aware that although Tsunami calls itself a buffet, the name is misleading to Westerners for whom buffet means customers serving themselves from tables laden with food. At Tsunami, you place your order with a waitress and she brings it to your table. Diners have 1.5 hours to eat all they can for a fixed price. You can order as many times as you wish during the 90 minutes and most customers do so repeatedly. This is a common model for casual dining/drinking in Japan.

post-9139-0-86393600-1458998392.jpg

I don't know what it is with Thais and salmon sushi/sashimi, but just like my dinner companion, the customers at all the other tables went heavy on salmon.  I certainly like salmon and would agree it's among the most flavor-packed raw fish variations, but I don't want to knock it back by the plateful. I like to include tuna, octopus, squid, shrimp, yellowtail, eel, mackerel, etc. My companion isn't a very adventurous eater.  She knows what she likes and sticks with it. Next time I visit Tsunami it will probably be a Japanese friend or a farang who knows Japanese cuisine well so we can enjoy some of the more exotic offerings on the menu. Tsunami has a lot of different nigiri (hand-pressed) sushi as well as maki (rolled) sushi and specialty items.

post-9139-0-78671000-1458998414.jpg

Tsunami is a small restaurant that seats about 30 people. It's brightly lit and space is tight. A  couple will find themselves sharing a table for four with another couple.  Western diners "of size" could find it very cramped. It's relatively new (open a few months) but has proved hugely popular with Thais.  We called at 7.00 pm on a Friday night and were told no tables would be available until 8.15 pm.  The restaurant was full the whole time we were there, with several groups of people waiting outside for a table to free up. If you're planning to eat at Tsunami from 6 pm onward (it's open from 5 pm to midnight), be sure to call ahead and reserve a table.  While I'm sure farang are welcome, I was the only Westerner in Tsunami during the time we were there.  I wasn't necessarily the only foreigner, as at least one Japanese guy was eating with a Thai female. However, the majority of guests were definitely Thai, with several family groups ranging from infants to grandmas.

post-9139-0-49354900-1458998396.jpg

The service was fast and attentive but not effusive.  The waitress spent quite a bit of time answering my companion's questions.  I don't know for sure, but I doubt the service staff would be able to answer questions about the menu in English. Our total bill was 449 x 2, or 898 baht.  No service charge or tax was added, so I paid with a 1,000-baht note and told the waitress to keep the change.

post-9139-0-56636900-1458998404.jpg

The biggest downside at Tsunami was the noise level.  So many people talking at once in a small space raises the decibel level to (for me) an unpleasant level. Of course, many Asian eateries are noisy, brightly lit and cramped, with strangers often sharing table space. It's a different sort of restaurant experience than most Westerners are accustomed to. 

post-9139-0-51636900-1458998409.jpg

Bottom line: great Japanese food in hectic surroundings. If you're expecting any sort of romantic or un-rushed ambiance, then there are better choices.  But for Japanese food, Tsunami ranks highly.

Evil
devil.gif

Tsunami is located on the east side of 3rd Road, not far from the intersection with Soi Chaiyapoon.

post-9139-0-04123800-1458998372.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

No we cant accept your apology! You will just have to go back and take pictures soon! :)

To your query on more exotic Jap cuisine , I once had Sea Urchin roe. Damn stuff cost about USD100 for about the size of a golf ball! But it was damn good!

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

Please remember to like and subscribe.

excellent report, Thank you...

Went there for a couple of months ago, excellent place with fantastic food, loved all the salmon, tempura and wagu beef sashimi..

Is it just me,or is anyone else seeing the irony of the name?

Sounds like a decent place, I'm not too familiar with Japanese food so I am in two minds on whether to try the place, pics look good tho and I do love a good tempura.

I thought that too , strange choice of name , don't advise them to open a branch in Phuket.

• Like 2

I was very pleasantly surprised at the range and quality of Japanese food on my recent Bkk trip. It was much better than Australia and one place was even comparable to Japan ! The penny dropped when I realized they're mainly about catering to actual Japanese. I had a chat to a young Thai sushi chef who explained they get trained by Japs in pretty much the same way as in Japan. He politely intimated that this was a touch gruelling but meant he would always be regarded as properly trained and able to work elsewhere.

My objection to these places is that you have to order by the plate which severely limits the possibility of tasting many things, not the mention the disappointment if you order a plate of something that you dont like. I like to be able to sample a tiny portion (literally one very small spoonful) of many different things and then go back for more of the things I like.

I suppose it is better suited to Asian clientèle as Asians always seem to do everything in groups, and a group can order many different plates.

My objection to these places is that you have to order by the plate which severely limits the possibility of tasting many things, not the mention the disappointment if you order a plate of something that you dont like. I like to be able to sample a tiny portion (literally one very small spoonful) of many different things and then go back for more of the things I like.

I suppose it is better suited to Asian clientèle as Asians always seem to do everything in groups, and a group can order many different plates.

I am sure you order by the piece. In America they started doing this too. Their reason is to keep the food fresher. It is a buffet, you can order as many times as you want. Don't feel shy!
  • Like 1

Being a fisherman, I will give it a try. Eating sushi is like owning a BOAT ( Bust Out Another Thousand).

I had dinner last night, I give a thumbs up.

Edited by artie1234

Being a fisherman, I will give it a try. Eating sushi is like owning a BOAT ( Bust Out Another Thousand).

A big hole in the ocean where you throw your wallet.

I was going to name my Japanese dog "Tsunami" and was warned not to do it, sore point for the Thais.  Surprised they did this

Not really into sushi but looks like some stuff I can eat...... great pictures

Edited by just hanging

My objection to these places is that you have to order by the plate ,,,

You DON'T have to order by the plate.  There are a few "sampler" sets of different types of sushi and some (small) plates of sashimi that you can order if you want, but mostly you order by the piece or two pieces. There's no limit on the number of times you can order.  Many diners will order one piece to taste a certain type of sushi, then order more of the same if they like it.  Others will order many different kinds of sushi, tasting their way through the menu.

Evil

You DON'T have to order by the plate.  There are a few "sampler" sets of different types of sushi and some (small) plates of sashimi that you can order if you want, but mostly you order by the piece or two pieces. There's no limit on the number of times you can order.  Many diners will order one piece to taste a certain type of sushi, then order more of the same if they like it.  Others will order many different kinds of sushi, tasting their way through the menu.

Evil

Great review evil and I'm glad you finally made it up there but quit disappointed you took zero pictures as that's your specialty.. that said I found the food was presented very close to there promotion pictures.. yes it can get pretty noisy in there but when I've gone you don't really share a table as there built for 2 or slide together for 4 people.. they are close though so you could easy feel like everyone is dinning together..

But for 450 baht all you can eat hot dishes, salads, dessert, drink and of course sushi in all forms... the noise and plan Jane rectangle room is easily forgotten and you spend your time stuffing your face...

I'm a westerner and I found the waitresses to be great and very attentive which can be a rarity in pattaya.. the English is not great but on there order tablet if your not sure what something is they'll pull up a picture so you can decide if it's something you want.. I to findicate a verity much better and not just a slab of salmon.. also the seafood sales are really tasty.. great review evil glad you got in there...

Question.. comparing all things tsunami or fuji.. for you now?

Fair enough. I've driven past this place loads of times and never gone in because I assumed it was by the plate even if the price was all-inclusive. They should make it clearer.

Edited by KittenKong

Are you insinuating the place is washed up? :GoldenSmile1:

Are you insinuating the place is washed up? :GoldenSmile1:

In bad taste , I know of an active BM on here that lost someone close to them in the 2004 Tsunami , I know he wouldn't find your one liner funny.

In bad taste , I know of an active BM on here that lost someone close to them in the 2004 Tsunami , I know he wouldn't find your one liner funny.

Not at all directed or intended that way.  No reference to Tsunami causing harm just a play on words. 

Edited by gimmesum

Not at all directed or intended that way.  No reference to Tsunami causing harm just a play on words. 

OK I apologise if it wasn't meant in that vein , it's just that subject is very sensitive for a lot of people.

Question.. comparing all things tsunami or fuji.. for you now?

In terms of quality sushi/sashimi at a reasonable price, it would be Tsunami every time.  The main reason I have eaten so many times at Fuji is because of my companion's preference.  She likes to eat at Fuji.  I think she'll be willing to eat more often at Tsunami, but the cramped quarters and noise level are a bit of a downer for her as well, plus she enjoys Central Festival. If I want to have Japanese food in more serene surroundings, I'd pick Yamato on Soi 13/1 or Chimaki on Soi 3.

Regarding the name:

I agree it's an unfortunate choice. What I've heard is that it is a reference to a famous Japanese woodblock print, Great Wave Off Kanagawa.  They use a similar image  on their Facebook page.

post-276-0-53067700-1459057731.jpg

The original:

post-276-0-63309900-1459057726.jpg

Many people who look at the print think it portrays a tsunami, but art scholars feel it's just, as the title says, a great wave.  It would have been better if they'd called the restaurant Great Wave Sushi Buffet.  Perhaps not the catchiest name, but it would avoid the unfortunate associations of tsunami.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

In terms of quality sushi/sashimi at a reasonable price, it would be Tsunami every time.  The main reason I have eaten so many times at Fuji is because of my companion's preference.  She likes to eat at Fuji.  I think she'll be willing to eat more often at Tsunami, but the cramped quarters and noise level are a bit of a downer for her as well, plus she enjoys Central Festival. If I want to have Japanese food in more serene surroundings, I'd pick Yamato on Soi 13/1 or Chimaki on Soi 3.

Regarding the name:

I agree it's an unfortunate choice. What I've heard is that it is a reference to a famous Japanese woodblock print, Great Wave Off Kanagawa.  They use a similar image  on their Facebook page.

post-276-0-53067700-1459057731.jpg

The original:

post-276-0-63309900-1459057726.jpg

Many people who look at the print think it portrays a tsunami, but art scholars feel it's just, as the title says, a great wave.  It would have been better if they'd called the restaurant Great Wave Sushi Buffet.  Perhaps not the catchiest name, but it would avoid the unfortunate associations of tsunami.

Evil

Couldn't agree more.. Yamato for the traditional sushi dining experience and great quality and you do pay for it..

And tsunami is the go to spot for quality product in a much more casual sometimes yes noise environment. But for 450 baht your not getting a better deal in this town, fresh well presented fish and much much more...