IGNORED

Flooded second hand cars

TigerWoods

In another topic I got warned that their are a lot of flooded second hand cars out for resale, I always thought that a flooded car is fucked and doesn't run/work anymore - am I wrong ?

How could I find out if it is/was a flooded car ?

In Thailand there is little you can do to find out if it has been underwater,except a really good set of knowledgeable eyes on it.

Over here,the very hint of water damage and insurance companies total loss the vehicle and flag it dismantle only.

They get good salvage dollars for wet cars.

Down in South Texas, we routinely suffer flooding and are always just naturally suspicious when looking over a used car .. down there, flooded out cars are disposed of quickly .. I understand most are shipped to dealerships in non-flood prone areas, where the buyers are not so naturally suspicious of flood-damaged cars.

The absolute best method is the smell test .. mold and mildew are unpreventable in flooded out cars .. they grow in nooks and crannies .. in the floor pans .. in the upholstery and liner materials .. behind the door panels .. in the trunk spare tire well .. it is most detectable on a hot day with the windows rolled up and the car is cooking .. sit and sweat for a bit, and you will be able to smell it .. if the car is all dolled up with floral scent, pass.

Floods bring silt and debris that will settle in nooks and crannies and is not easy to get out .. in the trunk, where the floor pan meets up against the side panel .. around bolt holes .. inside the door panels .. under the carpet .. look for it.

New carpet, or upholstery in an old car, or mismatching liner materials are warning signs.

Obviously, rust .. if you can get up underneath the seat, the seat springs will be the most obvious evidence of flooding.

Any electrical system failures are cause for concern. 

Condensed water inside the dash-mounted instruments, or light fixtures .. a warning.

Another BM similarly inquiry recently about buying a used car here .. perhaps it was you .. unless you, or a trusted friend know your way around an automobile, you might do well to consider a used car certified and sold by one the major car dealers .. they are obviously a bit more expensive, but they also protect the buyer against a host of other vulnerabilities.

You obviously know the history of flooding here, and hopefully the business culture.

Good luck.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

If a car has been well repaired and prepared there is very little you can do to spot flooding. New carpets, seats that don't match or have the requisite wear, suspicious new or newer parts....

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

If a car has been well repaired and prepared there is very little you can do to spot flooding. New carpets, seats that don't match or have the requisite wear, suspicious new or newer parts....

Drain plugs beneath the carpets on the floors and below the spare tire in the trunk.

Take a really close look at them to see if the edges have been picked at to be removed.

If any of them have been removed they should show a minute bit of damage.

If all of them have damage,chances are she has been a squirter.

There is very little paint on those parts the vehicle as well,and you will see light rust if the carpets have been wet.

Around where the floor meets the inner rocker.

In another topic I got warned that their are a lot of flooded second hand cars out for resale, I always thought that a flooded car is fucked and doesn't run/work anymore - am I wrong ?

How could I find out if it is/was a flooded car ?

thais repair any car...cut and shut are rife every where in thaialnd

Motorbikes too.

Thousands of bikes get underwater almost every time it rains.

Buy new in Thailand. Even doing routine service, the Thai mechanics ruin more than they fix.

Archived