IGNORED

Buying a new car, what brand/ model?

Encora

I love Germany cars, but I'd never have one thailand... The ride is just not suitable. Audi and BMW... Definitely not, the softer mercs? Maybe, but way over priced.

The new mazda cx3 or cx5? Civic if you want a car rather than sub.

I had a Audi 4000S many years ago and It was great but it was made for smooth roads. I have had Mazda, Kia and American. I would go with Honda. Reliable and resale is better than Subaru.

I had a Audi 4000S many years ago and It was great but it was made for smooth roads. I have had Mazda, Kia and American. I would go with Honda. Reliable and resale is better than Subaru.

Agreed. both Audi and BMW are made for speed and handling on smooth, good roads.

[quote name="Syco"

Also I wouldn't keep a car as long as 8 years , I would get rid of it just before the manufacturers warranty expired .

The reason is that nowadays new cars now come with so much complex technology , like computer management systems etc.

These things are like any electronics , they are unpredictable , so they can fail at any time ,  and when they go wrong , they are very very expensive to repair . I have seen service dept. bills presented to people for multiple thousands of dollars for electrical / computer issues for vehicles that are not covered under factory warranty.

Hope that helps.

It is funny, reading responses to my own question, posteda few months ago.

This part of Syco's response did ring a bell for me, and helped me find an answer in a totally different way then I originally expected.

I go to Laos often, and that was one reason why I was looking adter a somewhat sturdier car the the Jazz.

Be ause even after 8 years, there is still a lot of life left in my old Jazz, and still fun to drive.

So, instead of forking out another 700 k baht on a one million bt replacement (assuming a resale value of 300 k on the old Jazz, I bought a second car, to complement the Jazz.

I just got a 14 year old Mitsi Strada, 4x4, four door pick up.

It is virtually all mechanical, so no expensive repairs to come on the computer based systems, traditional technology that can be fixed by any bush mechanic, and sturdy, reliable, built like the proverbial brich shithouse.

Will do fine for my long haul trips, and the bad roads in Laos, while the old Jazz will keep serving me for a few more years for the many short city trips like shopping in Pattaya or BKK.

Total capital injection, 160 K

Will revisit the new car market in another five years, I think

Money left over now for the real important things in life.

I think I need to go and make a Telephone call now.

Anyone know a nearby phone box?

I brought a brand new toyota fortuner $1.5million the best SUV I have had ,not to big great to drive very comfy ,i change my cars every 4 years ,don't lose much value that way

Archived