IGNORED

Youth in well-off nations smoke, drink less than in 2010: WHO

News Bandit

PARIS - The number of teenagers trying alcohol or cigarettes before they turn 14 has dropped, especially among girls, according to a World Health Organization study of 42 well-off nations.

View the full article

In Australia, where the govt beat the tobacco companies in a lawsuit over plain packaging, the mix of high taxes, education and plain packaging with graphic cancer photos is having a positive effect. 

Total %
12.8#

This is good news.young people now are so much better educated about the dangers of smoking and long may it continue.the bans on smoking is getting tighter and tighter and soon the only place you will be able to smoke is in the privacy of your own home.both my kids are in their 20s and thankfully neither have ever smoked

Oh dear, you are all so naive, aren't you? Could we hear from someone who actually knows or works with these 'young people' as they're called? So, the law and education are working are they? 'Young people' are making rational decisions and saying, "Oh, I'd better not smoke or drink too much. It's bad for me and mummy and daddy will be very angry if I do."  Bollocks! What's really driving down consumption of tobacco and alcohol in younger folk is the greater prevalence of drug use, both legal highs and illegal. Not only are they easily accessible, they're actually cheaper now because taxes on cigarettes and alcohol are much higher, putting the price up. 'Young people' can work out, you know, how long the effects of whatever drug they take will last and whether buying it is more cost effective than getting pissed. So, yes, better education has helped---with the maths

Archived