Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

METV - Don't bother!

sagitarius123

It's costly, it asks for a lot more information, and it's unnecessary.

If you want to visit Thailand for up to 180 days and don't intend travelling many times to neighbouring countries simply get a SETV from your home country before you arrive. Extend for 30 days at Jomtien. (Total 90 days), fly out on a budget airline to a country where you don't need a visa to enter. Get another SETV there and fly back. Extend again at Jomtien for another 30 days.....180 days total.

You do the maths. METV will cost you £125 as opposed to SETV, which is only £25. With a METV you still only have 60 days each visit, unless you extend at Jomtien. So you have to either do 2 border runs with no extensions, or 1 border run with 2 extensions.

I've just come back from a couple of days in HCMC. As a UK passport holder I can have 15 nights in Vietnam on a visa waiver. I just took the 30 days exempt coming back as I'm going back to England in 3 weeks.

When I come back in October I will do it this way.

SETV (UK) £25 + £10 admin

Extension 1900 THB

Flight HCMC 3640 THB (Return flight Jetstar and return bus fare from Pattaya)

SETV (HCMC) $40

Extension 1900 THB

I went into the Thai consulate in District 3 and asked if this was a problem. The lady was very helpful and said it's fine to do it this way. She did say that they are now getting busier as the Vietnamese are opening their borders and it would be necessary to drop passport off and collect the following morning. So an overnight stay is necessary.

Vietnam are only trialing the visa waiver scheme, and it could end in July. However, the lady in the thai consulate said that the Vietnam government have seen a big increase in tourist numbers and are more likely to extend the scheme after July, and increase the eligible countries. ( Not sure that they'll include the USA ). If it does end then I will do it in Penang instead.

There are people on here who live in Vietnam and know a lot more than me. (2 nights in HCMC does not make me an expert ), but I loved it. Immigration was a breeze. Straight through. All he asked for was my return flight ticket to make sure I wasn't staying more than 15 nights. No landing or departure card required.

Stayed in District 1, on the junction of Bui Ven & De Tham, next door to the Crazy Buffalo. It's a backpackers area so plenty of cheap accommodation. I went upmarket and paid 800 THB a night in the An An 2 hotel. It was excellent value and even had double glazed windows so not noisy at all.

The area was buzzing and the atmosphere was great. Half pint draught beer is 10 baht and the bottles were between 15-20 baht. Their bottles are bigger than Thailand. 45cl as opposed to 33cl. If you go into the upmarket sports bars or the pick up bars you could pay as much as 50 baht. Cigarettes are 30 baht a pack.( If you're bringing some back get them from the shop before you leave. They are twice as expensive in Duty Free!

There are maybe 7 or 8 obvious ladybars in Bui Ven and many many ladies will hand you a flyer for a massage. I didn't do any mongering there but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you the costs. But it was like Pattaya 10 years ago. The girls are young, slim, no tattoos or piercings and most of all genuinely happy to talk to you.

The Thais need to worry about Vietnam. I'm not the only one who liked what I saw. For sure I'm going to have a couple of weeks in Nha Trang this winter. And if I like it.......Who knows?

Great info on the SETV,

Having previously used double & triple entry visas was a little "peeed" off when I went on Thai embassy website to download application form to see they stopped doing the double and triple entries but hang on, multiple entry visas That sounds good I think until I read and check they want loads of info i.e. ticket booking, bank statement showing funds, letter from employer etc.

what a "ball ache' I thought and was just going to turn up and get a 30 day entry and then go talk with the visa run companies around town about doing a run to Laos etc and getting a double entry or something similar to give me a few months but as above with the SETV this is the way I will go.

Good info on HCMC and keep meaning to do a trip to Vietnam but once in LOS I get too comfortable / lazy :SoWhat1:  and end up not travelling out unless for visa runs.

This time hopefully!!

Talked to the Consulate in Vancouver here.

The METV 6 month visa is actually good for 8 months.(if you enter on the last day of the 6 months you have the additional 60 days)

cost  CD$200  issued 2 Business days

copy of your Bank statement showing 200 000 baht in bank

Round Trip ticket and copy of hotel reservation.

The O-A visa is good for 12 months cost $Cd200 , issued in 2 business days

800 000 in bank or 65 000 in income. Statement from your bank (Canada)Signed by a bank officer. Vis Form signature must be guaranteed by notary.

I think its a lot easier to do it in your home country instead as in Thailand . You deal with your own people, bank, notary

Unfortunately applying in Canada you need a criminal record check ,$75, Prohibitive  medical check $75 and $50 for notary. Expensive , but only required 1st time as you can apply subsequently in Thailand without it.

For the extra 4 months for me the METV would be a lot less hassle and cheaper. If applied in October it would give you unlimited entry's till may the following year.

A friend of mine who lives in pattaya pays 12000 Baht for a 15 month Retirement Visa. he uses M.T.T Soi Post office. Never had any hassle

• 3 weeks later...

It's costly, it asks for a lot more information, and it's unnecessary.If you want to visit Thailand for up to 180 days and don't intend travelling many times to neighbouring countries simply get a SETV from your home country before you arrive. Extend for 30 days at Jomtien. (Total 90 days), fly out on a budget airline to a country where you don't need a visa to enter. Get another SETV there and fly back. Extend again at Jomtien for another 30 days.....180 days total.You do the maths. METV will cost you £125 as opposed to SETV, which is only £25. With a METV you still only have 60 days each visit, unless you extend at Jomtien. So you have to either do 2 border runs with no extensions, or 1 border run with 2 extensions.I've just come back from a couple of days in HCMC. As a UK passport holder I can have 15 nights in Vietnam on a visa waiver. I just took the 30 days exempt coming back as I'm going back to England in 3 weeks.When I come back in October I will do it this way.SETV (UK) £25 + £10 adminExtension 1900 THBFlight HCMC 3640 THB (Return flight Jetstar and return bus fare from Pattaya)SETV (HCMC) $40Extension 1900 THBI went into the Thai consulate in District 3 and asked if this was a problem. The lady was very helpful and said it's fine to do it this way. She did say that they are now getting busier as the Vietnamese are opening their borders and it would be necessary to drop passport off and collect the following morning. So an overnight stay is necessary.Vietnam are only trialing the visa waiver scheme, and it could end in July. However, the lady in the thai consulate said that the Vietnam government have seen a big increase in tourist numbers and are more likely to extend the scheme after July, and increase the eligible countries. ( Not sure that they'll include the USA ). If it does end then I will do it in Penang instead.There are people on here who live in Vietnam and know a lot more than me. (2 nights in HCMC does not make me an expert ), but I loved it. Immigration was a breeze. Straight through. All he asked for was my return flight ticket to make sure I wasn't staying more than 15 nights. No landing or departure card required.Stayed in District 1, on the junction of Bui Ven & De Tham, next door to the Crazy Buffalo. It's a backpackers area so plenty of cheap accommodation. I went upmarket and paid 800 THB a night in the An An 2 hotel. It was excellent value and even had double glazed windows so not noisy at all.The area was buzzing and the atmosphere was great. Half pint draught beer is 10 baht and the bottles were between 15-20 baht. Their bottles are bigger than Thailand. 45cl as opposed to 33cl. If you go into the upmarket sports bars or the pick up bars you could pay as much as 50 baht. Cigarettes are 30 baht a pack.( If you're bringing some back get them from the shop before you leave. They are twice as expensive in Duty Free!There are maybe 7 or 8 obvious ladybars in Bui Ven and many many ladies will hand you a flyer for a massage. I didn't do any mongering there but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you the costs. But it was like Pattaya 10 years ago. The girls are young, slim, no tattoos or piercings and most of all genuinely happy to talk to you.The Thais need to worry about Vietnam. I'm not the only one who liked what I saw. For sure I'm going to have a couple of weeks in Nha Trang this winter. And if I like it.......Who knows?

Unfortunately us from the states even though we send money to Vietnam in aid are still stuck paying for a visa and some other fee.. it's expensive so myalasia or Singapore are the only free be visa countries for us.. Cambodia and Lao both 35 bucks.. as far as Vietnam goes I'm getting real tired of our idiot government sending out 10s of millions of dollars to places like that and they can't even waive the tourist visa... we send a shit pot of money to Thailand also and there nice enough to give 30 days..

Unfortunately us from the states even though we send money to Vietnam in aid are still stuck paying for a visa and some other fee.. it's expensive so myalasia or Singapore are the only free be visa countries for us.. Cambodia and Lao both 35 bucks.. as far as Vietnam goes I'm getting real tired of our idiot government sending out 10s of millions of dollars to places like that and they can't even waive the tourist visa... we send a shit pot of money to Thailand also and there nice enough to give 30 days..

I could well imagine been a yank sucks, but now you've explained that you're still sending guilt-trip money yet they continue to give you the middle-finger shines a slightly newer light on why you're not so welcomed in that part of the world as the majority of other farang.

Next.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

Yes , good post.

Do you know if aussie residents can apply in places such as cambodia , vietnam etc for SETV . i get one before i leave home but always stay in thailand longer than 90 days.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the METV.  I got mine in January.

If you work it right you only have to leave 2 times in 9 months.

Just get 2 extensions which will give you 90 days each visit.

Enter the day before it expires for another 60 days.  Then get another 30 day extension.

I can go anywhere and no hassle getting the SETV.

Maybe don't bother to get the METV or a 60 day visa if you don't mind getting refused entry into the country, which almost happened to me and for no reason as far as I was concerned. I spent four months in Pattaya last October through January leaving every 28 or 29 days for a week at a time to get 30 more days when I arrived back. I then went back the end of February, on an unplanned trip,  for one last 3 week visit with a friend that was able to get off work. When I went through Immigration the officer was very rude, condescending and arrogant while grilling me on why I came to Thailand and why I come, go, come back as he put it. He told me to get visa before I come back again. There was no doubt in my mind that he was wanting me to argue or get smart with him so he could put me on the next plane back to the states but I didn't fall for it, remained calm, polite, bit my lip, agreed with him and told him I would do as instructed, which I will. Obviously, that is his right as the Immigration Officer to demand I get the required visa but just thought it was odd as I had previously, a year earlier, obtained a four month visa that was available through the Thai Embassy at that time. So, bottom line, I will obtain either a 60 or the 6 month METV visa in order to avoid any possible issues in the future. Again, I'm, not questioning the right of the Immigration Officer, although I thought he came off a little too much in my face, but I have never overstayed and have come and gone several time a year in the past with no issues until now. So, yes the METV is a hassle and overpriced, but I will conform as required.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I was under the impression a SETV was only issued in your resident country. Anyone ever applied for and got one outside their resident country?

Interesting thread. I was under the impression a SETV was only issued in your resident country. Anyone ever applied for and got one outside their resident country?

I believe previously Vientiane (Laos) was a hot spot for SETVs & it was certainly not restricted to Lao citizens only.  

................................................................................................................

I'll be staying for just under 60 days next month, and I'll be applying for an SETV here in Egypt (I'm Australian). My travel agent seems to think it won't be a problem at all, as long as I can show LE10,000 in my bank account (around US$1,000).

I'll keep you updated if you'd like?

One other thing I should mention is that in theory it's not actually necessary for me to get a visa, as I should just be able to enter on my visa-free 30 days and extend once I'm there.

However, I have been to Thailand over seven times in a twelve-month period, amounting to well over 90 days. After hearing that pressure is mounting on people like me using their visa-free option several times in a year, I figured I'd play it safe and get a visa this time.

I would really like some concrete evidence on what this new rule is. Is it about the number of accumulated days? Is it about extend your visa whilst there? Is there a set number of times in a year that you can use your visa-free?

As with most things in Thailand, it's incredibly confusing. And no two people can give me the same answer.

I'll be staying for just under 60 days next month, and I'll be applying for an SETV here in Egypt (I'm Australian). My travel agent seems to think it won't be a problem at all, as long as I can show LE10,000 in my bank account (around US$1,000).

I'll keep you updated if you'd like?

Be interesting to see how you go. Plenty of aussies working overseas so was wondering how they go about getting a visa.

I believe previously Vientiane (Laos) was a hot spot for SETVs & it was certainly not restricted to Lao citizens only.

Yeah few mates went to Savannakhet in years gone by and got a 3 month visa. Don't know if they still do them.

I arrived back in Pattaya on Friday. While waiting on my ANA connection to Bangkok at Hanenda, I was called to the counter and asked to produce a visa. This is the first time that has happened. I had a 60 day visa but proof again that Thai Immigration is getting serious about those like me that make several trips a year. I was told by Immigration in February to get the necessary visa before I came back to Thailand. I am glad I listened to them.

One other thing I should mention is that in theory it's not actually necessary for me to get a visa, as I should just be able to enter on my visa-free 30 days and extend once I'm there.

However, I have been to Thailand over seven times in a twelve-month period, amounting to well over 90 days. After hearing that pressure is mounting on people like me using their visa-free option several times in a year, I figured I'd play it safe and get a visa this time.

I would really like some concrete evidence on what this new rule is. Is it about the number of accumulated days? Is it about extend your visa whilst there? Is there a set number of times in a year that you can use your visa-free?

As with most things in Thailand, it's incredibly confusing. And no two people can give me the same answer.

As info it happened to me for the first time as I was asked to produce a visa before boarding my ANA connection to Bangkok. In all fairness, I was told by Immigration last February to get a visa the next time I visit Thailand. Like you, I don't know the number of trips that triggers them requiring a visa but I must have hit it.

I arrived back in Pattaya on Friday. While waiting on my ANA connection to Bangkok at Hanenda, I was called to the counter and asked to produce a visa. This is the first time that has happened. I had a 60 day visa but proof again that Thai Immigration is getting serious about those like me that make several trips a year. I was told by Immigration in February to get the necessary visa before I came back to Thailand. I am glad I listened to them.

Not sure I understand your post, sorry. Are you saying your airline wanted to see your visa? I have always been asked when checking in to the airline to produce a return or onward ticket and/or visa orherwise they would not fly me.

runner, just curious but what have your recent trips been in terms of frequency and duration?

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

Not sure I understand your post, sorry. Are you saying your airline wanted to see your visa? I have always been asked when checking in to the airline to produce a return or onward ticket and/or visa orherwise they would not fly me.

Yes. This is the first time in 5 years I have ever been asked to produce a visa.I am positive I was tagged by Immigration last February when I was told to get a visa for my next trip. It was too much of a coincidence.

runner, just curious but what have your recent trips been in terms of frequency and duration?

Two years ago I stayed 6 months but had a four month visa which has since been discontinued. Last year I made 3 or 4 trips with the longest being four months with no visa. The other trips were for 30 days.

A note to any of us travelling in and out of the country multiple times a yr, they are defiantly tagging and defiantly clamping down again.

I do 5-6 trips a year usually 25ish days each. I've been winging it on 30 day visa free entries for the last 7 years as I was always away working in between trips for at least a month.

2nd to last entry in Feb I got a few questions at to what I was doing in thailand and I remember he seemed to be scrolling around on the computer in the visa stamp booth and typing.

On arrival 3 weeks ago I narrowly missed non-entry. Was taken to a side office space and asked reasons for coming so often. Had they not called my GF in the early hours and asked her our status, about my work etc I really think I'd have been sent back. Likewise, I was told get a proper tourist visa or no entry next time.

Archived