IGNORED

Best Beach Hotel

slashlarue

I am looking for a hotel/resort on the beach in Pattaya or Jomtien. One with a semi-secluded nice beach.

I have looked on 'Agoda" and found these listed below. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

No preference just listed randomly,

1. Grand Jomtien Pattaya hotel
  2. Fifthe Jomtien Pattaya
  3. Movenpick Siam hotel Pattaya
  4. Pinnack Grand Jomtien Resort
  5. Rabbit Resort
  6. U Pattaya hotel
  7. Ravindra Beach Resort & Spa
  8. Z Through By the Zign hotel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't speak to any of those you listed, but I just spent 5 nights at the Sheraton in Phra Tumnak.

It is built into the side of the hill, with tons of trees, and a small private beach.  I think it is a spectacular place, and hope to go back again soon.  Big rooms, beautiful views and incredible pools.  To me, it's like being in a great resort, with the fun and debauchery of Pattaya only 15 minutes away.

BUT it is isolated -- no baht bus route near it that I am aware of.  Free shuttle runs 6 times a day to/from Central Festival (noon, 3, 5, 6, 7:30 and 9, with returns 30 min later), but they'll drop you off by Walking Street if you ask.  You're looking at 300 baht (each way) to get a taxi to take you back OR you may get away with 200 baht for a private songtaew.

I was staying on Starwood points, so the extra baht for taxis didn't bug me.  The restaurants are NOT cheap (but again spectacular views) and I ended up dropping quite a bit on room service, but as noted above the shuttle will take you to central Pattaya right around most meal times.

Also, it will no longer be a Sheraton after March 31, 2016 -- it is going to become an InterContinental.  The hassle with that is that it is not available for booking on IHG's website yet, but you can still book via Sheraton's website (although I don't think they will accept award bookings after March 31).

Personally, the shift to an InterContinental is a good thing for me -- I am Platinum with IHG, so I should get better perks when I stay there again (which I plan to do).  Also, because I have a Chase IHG credit card, I get a free night certificate every year, and I'm thinking this will be a great way to use it.

Some photos from my trip (all taken with my iPhone): 

Room - this was a standard "garden view" room; no upgrade

room.JPG

View from the balcony:

balcony.JPG

View from the lobby:

lobby.jpg

One of the pools -- I was kicking myself for not spending 2 hours every day lounging by it.  REALLY relaxing:

pool.jpg

Hey, thanks for the info footypjman. I wanted a nice place a little distance from the action and if I was to bring a "friend" to sunbathe I just wanted some privacy.

To be clear, the private beach of for all hotel guests, as are the pools.  

That said, I walked down to the beach and there were only a handful of people there - maybe 1 or 2 couples.  Will try to find a photo for you.  

They also have tables down there to have dinner in the sand.  Pretty sweet, but I'm guessing very pricey, especially by Pattaya standards.

hotel was girl friendly -- I had no issues whatsoever.  They don't check i.d., though, which some people really like.  

Also, the TG I was with ended up coming straight to my room one day (it was a little embarrassing when I opened the door in my undies and she was with her brother, sister-in-law and nephew! Then again, at least I put my undies on first!  555)

I use hotel points and free room nights, but the Sheraton (or InterContinental, depending on when you go) is expensive by Pattaya standards.  Many BMs would think it is absurdly priced, given the many other options that Pattaya has to offer.

Sounds great. I like to (if I'm going to be with someone a few days?) hang out on the beach and like them get a little tan. The reason for the privacy is that

some locals don't like to be in a swim suit around other locals. This held true in the PI, not all in the DR, some what from what I remember in LOS, but that

was many years ago. How is the attitude of most TGs about this nowadays?

I think most TGs seem to avoid the sun at all costs!  

I hate to speak in generalizations, but it is my understanding that Thais girls almost all seek lighter skin, and it is considered the "ideal" in their society.

That said, I think they love to go to the beach and have fun -- they just try to find some shade while they're there.

FWIW, I'm with you 110% -- I LOVE Thai girls with golden brown skin, and it KILLS me when they cake that white make-up on.  One of the things I really liked about the cute little thing I was with on my last trip was the fact that she often went with no make-up and bluntly said that she didn't like to wear make-up.

Then again, she had only been in Pattaya five days (I usually think that's b.s., but her FB page certainly seemed in line with that) and said she had no intentions of staying more than a few weeks.  Hell, I think she made enough off of me to go back home right away!  LOL  (....I WISH I was kidding....  LOL)

I kind of suspected that avoidance of the sun but maybe I can change that for a few short days. That white makeup sucks for the life of me I cannot figure out how they think that

makes them look good?????? Well about staying........once as you know they get a taste of the life and money (like every other human being) they cannot leave.As you see I've gotten

no more bits on the hotels I guess I'll be staying at the ICH. Funny my father worked for PAN AM and used to stay at the ICHs around the world virtually for free as PAN AM owned the

hotel change back in the 60-80's. I'm showing my age. Thanks.

I think all the hotels in Jomtien on your list, except Rabbit Resort, are on the main stretch of the beach. It's mainly full of deckchairs and Umbrellas.

Rabbit has it's own private bit of Dongtan Beach just along from the gay part of the beach. There's a wide pathway/road between the resort and beach which is pretty quiet a lot of the time. I still wouldn't call it secluded, but it was quiet whenever I walked past in July.

The pathway is closed to vehicles in the day. It makes it quiet but may mean you carrying your luggage a long way on arrival.

I think there's another way in but it's not easy to find. The resort is pretty quiet with lots of foliage. I think renovation has finished.

I'll try to find some photos of the beach and post them.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Main part of beach with chairs & lights for volleyball further down:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Further down past Rabbit at dusk:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The pathway down past Rabbit and the cut-out in front of the resort next to it's restaurant. I whitened out friends!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What, what, what was that "Gay part of the beach???" just kidding. Thanks for the info and pics it helps a lot.It seems fairly busy on the beach. On of the hotels I looked at

backed right up to the beach, I have to look I cant remember.

I see how the pics that you guys have sent are more realistic then the resort pics on Agoda.

In Jomtien, the beach road runs between the buildings and the beach for a long way down. The only exceptions are that pathway on the Rabbit side and right at the other end a lot further than any baht bus route.

TBH I saw more Russian families with kids on the 'gay' part of the beach than anyone else. :-)

I think some newer hotels up Naklua way may be right on the beach? Wong Amat beach.

You'll need to find out if these hotels are all 'guest friendly'. I'm not sure all of them are.

Thanks davidge, you say Naklua way and Wong Amat beach. I am unfamiliar with this area sorry. The times I was in Pattaya I never left the central city. Please bare with me.

Again thanks.

Only been there a handful of times in about 50 visits!

North Pattaya.

Go up Second Road to the Dolphin Roundabout and keep going.

Roughly the red circle

image.jpeg

Thanks, I need to lead by the hand sometimes!

As I said, you'll definitely need to try and check if hotels up here are GF - and some of those in Jomtien.

As I said, you'll definitely need to try and check if hotels up here are GF - and some of those in Jomtien.

Advice well taken thanks.

The Sheraton is looking for $260.00 a night. Don't know if I want to spend that much per night.

The Sheraton is looking for $260.00 a night. Don't know if I want to spend that much per night.

I knew it was pricey, but that is pretty absurd, especially for Pattaya.  

Maybe wait until April 1, when it converts to an InterContinental and check then?

Keep in mind, if you're booking over NYE (as your sig implies), you'll be paying a higher rate at most places.

Also, think about getting the IHG Rewards credit card from Chase -- I think you'll get a free night certificate, plus a boatload of IHG points that can be used to book the room.  I'd expect that hotel to come it at 35,000 points per night and they may be offering 70,000 points once you hit minimum spend requirements (I think $1,000 or $2,000 over the first 3 months).  If it comes with free night certificate too (not certain on that), that's 3 free nights and cuts your "cost per night" dramatically.  

PM me if you want a link or more details -- I don't want to go too far astray in this thread.

You will need to think about transport as well.

I make sure I'm never too far off a regular baht bus route as I will NOT ride a scooter or use a mototaxi. I also don't want to walk too far in Pattaya - especially when going out at night.

I avoid Pratumnak and Naklua because of this. Although the baht buses go up Naklua Road it's a bit of a trek down some of the Sois and they can be a bit isolated at night. You really need to do a private hire to get to some of the Pratumnak hotels, although some have their own shuttles which are of limited use.

Jomtien beach road is on a regular baht bus route and there are plenty of them. However, even in low season, it took me 30 minutes to get to Pattaya on a couple of occasions due to tour buses! It can be very slow in high season.

Can't speak to any of those you listed, but I just spent 5 nights at the Sheraton in Phra Tumnak.

It is built into the side of the hill, with tons of trees, and a small private beach.  I think it is a spectacular place, and hope to go back again soon.  Big rooms, beautiful views and incredible pools.  To me, it's like being in a great resort, with the fun and debauchery of Pattaya only 15 minutes away.

BUT it is isolated -- no baht bus route near it that I am aware of.  Free shuttle runs 6 times a day to/from Central Festival (noon, 3, 5, 6, 7:30 and 9, with returns 30 min later), but they'll drop you off by Walking Street if you ask.  You're looking at 300 baht (each way) to get a taxi to take you back OR you may get away with 200 baht for a private songtaew.

I was staying on Starwood points, so the extra baht for taxis didn't bug me.  The restaurants are NOT cheap (but again spectacular views) and I ended up dropping quite a bit on room service, but as noted above the shuttle will take you to central Pattaya right around most meal times.

Also, it will no longer be a Sheraton after March 31, 2016 -- it is going to become an InterContinental.  The hassle with that is that it is not available for booking on IHG's website yet, but you can still book via Sheraton's website (although I don't think they will accept award bookings after March 31).

Personally, the shift to an InterContinental is a good thing for me -- I am Platinum with IHG, so I should get better perks when I stay there again (which I plan to do).  Also, because I have a Chase IHG credit card, I get a free night certificate every year, and I'm thinking this will be a great way to use it.

Some photos from my trip (all taken with my iPhone): 

Room - this was a standard "garden view" room; no upgrade

attachicon.gifroom.JPG

View from the balcony:

attachicon.gifbalcony.JPG

View from the lobby:

attachicon.giflobby.jpg

One of the pools -- I was kicking myself for not spending 2 hours every day lounging by it.  REALLY relaxing:

attachicon.gifpool.jpg

According to an article in The Nation today, InterContiental plan to refurbish the hotel over the next 2 years. Expect that must mean some noise & disruption for a while!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/InterContinental-opens-in-Pattaya-Bay-30279962.html

According to an article in The Nation today, InterContiental plan to refurbish the hotel over the next 2 years. Expect that must mean some noise & disruption for a while!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/InterContinental-opens-in-Pattaya-Bay-30279962.html

I was thinking about that while I was there -- the rooms and facilities are great, but there is no lounge (something I think most InterContinental hotels have) and the sliding glass doors all have the Sheraton logo etched onto them and, presumably, will have to be replaced.

The article mentions "introduce the Club InterContinental range of VIP benefits and privileges into the resort."

I guess the lounge is part of that?

The only time I can remember using an Intercontinental is in Saudi which is unlikely to be very typical of the brand!

Archived