IGNORED

New Overstay Thailand Regulation & Passport Rules

Sick Water Buffalo

So now Immigrations is making YouTube videos outlining the latest overstay sanctions (that go into effect next month --> see below).

Also from the Samut Prakan Immigrations webpage...

Q. Do I have to carry my passport at all times?
A. Foreigners must carry their passport or a photocopy at all times. If they go away somewhere overnight, they should also take their passport. For photocopies, you need to show the photo page and the latest extension of stay. Violators could be detained and told to pay a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht.

They also want a physical photocopy (of the data page and stamp page), NOT a photo of them on your phone. Which matches up with apparently what happened in Pattaya and Chiang Mai yesterday.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/02/one-day-overstay-in-thailand-could-mean-a-5-year-ban/

Over the last few weeks, the Thai newspapers have been writing stories about a crackdown on foreigners overstaying their visas. This is in advance of what they call “D-Day” on 20th March 2016, which is when foreigners could face a ban of re-entering Thailand. One Thai headline I saw put it this way: “If a foreigner is caught overstaying by one day, they will be banned from re-entering for five years”. Is this crackdown against normal foreign tourists? No. They say they are targeting foreign criminals who are operating in Thailand without proper paperwork. The recent renewed search for foreigners overstaying their visas is due to the capture of the suspect in the grisly murder of a Spaniard. Immigration police say that the suspect had overstayed his visa. There have been other examples recently. My opinion is that when visiting any foreign country, it is advisable to carry some form of photo ID at all times. This is especially true for Thailand as we are under military rule. Like citizens of some other countries, Thais have to carry their ID cards at all times. So, it would make sense that foreigners should also do the same. In fact, many embassies urge their citizens to carry their passport while in Thailand. Obviously, this is not always practical, so Immigration police have come out to say that it is acceptable to carry a photocopy of your passport. However, your passport should be nearby. This means that if you go away somewhere overnight, for example to Pattaya for the weekend, you should take your passport too. I have traveled all around Thailand and I have always used my Thai driver’s license as a photo ID. This has been accepted on domestic flights, hotels and even at banks. A couple of times I have been stopped at police and army checkpoints and they accepted my driver’s license as a form of ID. However, if they are specifically looking for overstayers, they will insist on seeing your passport. That is why I always carry a photocopy of my passport and visa page just in case. To make it more convenient, I shrank this down to credit card size and laminated it. As a back up, I also have a digital copy of my passport and work permit on my smartphone. Friends have told me that they have used this successfully at checkpoints. I am sure there are many people like myself who have said they have never been stopped and asked for a passport. But, times are changing. Just yesterday, there were two newspaper reports of foreigners being detained for not carrying passports. First one is from Chiang Mai Citylife. In their story (see here), they said armed police officers raided an entertainment complex and rounded up all the foreigners who weren’t carrying their passports. The second story comes from Khao Sod (see here). In this case it was a raid at a nightclub in Pattaya. About 30 foreigners were detained for not carrying their passport and were taken to the police station. In both cases they were released once they could produce their passport. This clearly illustrates that you shouldn’t go too far from where you are keeping your passport safe.

Come next month, if you overstay EVEN ONE DAY, if you're caught/arrested for a crime you might be banned from Thailand for FIVE YEARS. You don't want that, do you?

CboFchzWwAAevok.jpg

They also want a physical photocopy (of the data page and stamp page), NOT a photo of them on your phone. Which matches up with apparently what happened in Pattaya and Chiang Mai yesterday.

I have never understood the logic behind this. It is easier to forge details in a photocopy than in a photo because when you photocopy something it is flatter so easier to edit it without making it very obvious that it has been edited.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

This puts a whole new complexion on the "I will be 1 or 2 day overstay, do I need a visa" arguments. !!

The old advice was nearly always to pay at the airport.

If you are past your visa/30 day entry expiry date and you head out one night before you leave to a WS disco/club that gets raided then you are gonna get a five year ban. ??? Seems really harsh to me though.

If you are past your visa/30 day entry expiry date and you head out one night before you leave to a WS disco/club that gets raided then you are gonna get a five year ban. ??? Seems really harsh to me though.

Perhaps but it is very easy to avoid the situation in the first place.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

The Youtube video is simple and clear. Just obey the law. And to those Europeans who are bitching about the new RULES, how many Syrian refugees are you sheltering in your houses?

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mind any clear RULES. Just their talent to make a big show out of it .

And Syrians, None. Would you leve them at your house back at home while you are in thailand ?  :Think1: 

• 3 weeks later...

New regs coming in tomorrow and expecting to see many pulled who had previously had Passport Visas renewed without leaving the Country. Immigration been very discreet in their enquiries its clear

New regs coming in tomorrow and expecting to see many pulled who had previously had Passport Visas renewed without leaving the Country. Immigration been very discreet in their enquiries its clear

If I am reading it correctly it started today!

i have never carried my passport around simply cos it's likely to either get lost or at best suffer wear and tear but it might be worth it for at least the next couple of weeks.

it seems to me that the immigration dept/police whatever will be keen to show the media that they are on the case and mean business

Just seems ridiculous to get tourists to carry their passports especially in places where tourists will be going to the beach every day or out partying to the early hours. Might be an idea to provide this info to all tourists as they enter the country or to smply announce it as the plane arrives.

The Youtube video is simple and clear. Just obey the law. And to those Europeans who are bitching about the new rules, how many Syrian refugees are you sheltering in your houses?

Video very clear to avoid to be in sutch  video here ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuJx91t7yI  :Think1:( Immigration detention center )

Expecting " sweeps" after 20 march ........

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

i have never carried my passport around simply cos it's likely to either get lost or at best suffer wear and tear but it might be worth it for at least the next couple of weeks.

Just seems ridiculous to get tourists to carry their passports especially in places where tourists will be going to the beach every day or out partying to the early hours.

Just carry a copy of the necessary pages (main information page and the visa or stamp page).   :Think1: Leave the actual passport in the loom.

Just carry a copy of the necessary pages (main information page and the visa or stamp page).   :Think1: Leave the actual passport in the loom.

Not an issue for me but I do wonder if first time or sometime tourists will know to do this.

I'm going through immigration on the 30th day but leave early flight on the 31st day 2 am do you thing I will be ok or should I go to jomtien office

I'm going through immigration on the 30th day but leave early flight on the 31st day 2 am do you thing I will be ok or should I go to jomtien office

Just hope check in is open  early enough ,and no delays by immigration , and above all that they allow you to go as early to air side ,but no problem I think ....

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Just make sure you are at immigration by midnight. Even then officially you are deemed to have over-stayed as it is when your flight leaves that is important. You probably will not have an issue though.

Thanks for that I don't think il have a problem iv been told by friend but I'd hate to get banned for a year for a few hour overstay

Thanks for that I don't think il have a problem iv been told by friend but I'd hate to get banned for a year for a few hour overstay

they are trying to go after serious overstayers not those with a few hours.

nothing to worry about

Ok cheers il post here when I get back let people know how it goes. Il just enjoy holiday thanks for your reply

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to apply for a tourist visa extension before leaving the airport on the first day of arrival??

PH

no.

and at jomtien they do not like doing them until your current stay is almost up esp during high season

no.

and at jomtien they do not like doing them until your current stay is almost up esp during high season

So, If I arrive on 6 June, I would have to go to Jometien days before 5 July to apply for an extension?

Do I need to have departing ticket when I go for an extension?

Thanks for the info...

PH

So, If I arrive on 6 June, I would have to go to Jometien days before 5 July to apply for an extension?

Do I need to have departing ticket when I go for an extension?

Thanks for the info...

PH

you get 30 days on landing........which is 29 nights................that would take you till 5 july a tuesday . i would go the 1st or the 4th

there is no need to have or to show jomtien immigration an onward flight but they do now require evidence of where you are staying.

but you may have an airline problem at check in as they may want proof of onward travel from LOS if your return ticket is more than 30 days. better to get a single entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate before you travel and that would save you both a trip to immigration and 1,900 bht at jomtien

Archived