IGNORED

Where to buy

Mark1

And I guess should I buy. A friend of mine asked me to pick up a lens while I'm here. I guess he was going to purchase one in the states and then saw it was made in Thailand. Not sure that will have a effect enough on the price to make it a better purchase for me to get it here.

Anyways it's a NIKON AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1g lens and he mentioned "full frame format" I have no idea about these things. But any help as to a shop that sells this item and if it's a better buy here or there.

Many thanks

Horrible prices on these goods in Thailand due to taxes and Nikon in particular will not service it ever if broken. Also high risk it is faked.

It won't be under warranty and not even if you pay for it, or offer to, since you can't pay since they will refuse to service it. They consider Nikon-Asia a completely different company than say Nikon USA, Canada, Europe etc. They are the only company I know of that will refuse to take money to fix something. 

Of course you can fly to Thailand to get it fixed. Outside Thailand, no chance. Same issue arises with Nikon goods in HK. Might be the same Nikon Asia, maybe, maybe not. Like it helps.

And in more developed areas they offer 5 year warranties and for Asia, 1 year. Pretty sucky. 

Please note that Nikon does not make a Nikkor f /1.0 50 mm lens. Making it more of a challenge for sure. Buying the impossible, is, well, impossible.

If he is in the USA tell him to go to B&H and buy the lens with a Nikon warranty.

Despite what Rich says the camera prices here are very good if you know where to buy. I bought a Canon 60D and lens for 60% of the cost in the UK. The only problem is you will not get an international warranty, but for a 50mm lens probably not much chance of a fault. Try digital2home on the web. They have a shop in Sri Racha.

Despite what Rich says the camera prices here are very good if you know where to buy. I bought a Canon 60D and lens for 60% of the cost in the UK. The only problem is you will not get an international warranty, but for a 50mm lens probably not much chance of a fault. Try digital2home on the web. They have a shop in Sri Racha.

That is because UK prices are so ridiculously high. But from my extensive search recently Thai retail prices are no lower then US prices, and warranty issues make buying it here not a smart thing to do.

I won't swear to this as I'm no camera pro, but I believe the Nikon lenses are F1.4 or F1.8 format.  I have an F1.4 myself, which I purchased online through a reputable supplier here in Aus'.

His best bet is still probably to use an online retailer back home.  You'll get the native product with a valid warranty, internet discounts are good compared to full retail.  

You can judge the pricing in Pattaya, if that's where you are, by having a wander around TukCom which has a floor of electronic retailers including several photographic shops.  From memory, nothing there is particularly cheap though.

Cheers

Perthie 

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Just did a check on the camera i bought a Canon 70d (latest model) with 18-135 lens is 939 GBP in Jessops in the UK = @ 48,000 baht. The price in digital2home is 36,000. Worth taking the risk on the warranty IMO to save 25%. I certainly have had no problems with my canon.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly Big C near Soi 3 and 2nd Road has a Nikon store( 2nd floor).

babydollsaddict.gif

• 4 months later...

Try MBK in Bangkok. Maný Nikon and Canon shops. Question is, if you purchase camera in Thailand, is there international warranty? Does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

looked  at  prices  seem more expensive  in thailand than in uk  and  get  a  warranty  at  home

Archived