IGNORED

Don Mueang Airport.

udontony

I travel through Don Mueang airport many times every year, knew my way through all of it until last week.

What a change to everything there, so many different retail and food shops plus much larger open spaces.  The old domestic departure entrance is now International departures only and the domestic you will have to look out for the signs as it is all very different.   Love to hear what others think about the changes.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I travel through Don Mueang airport many times every year, knew my way through all of it until last week.

What a change to everything there, so many different retail and food shops plus much larger open spaces.  The old domestic departure entrance is now International departures only and the domestic you will have to look out for the signs as it is all very different.   Love to hear what others think about the changes.

Not been through there in many years, i thought it was just domestic flights there now.

Not been through there in many years, i thought it was just domestic flights there now.

Mainly budget airlines and Charters:

image.jpeg

image.pngimage.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

My thoughts after going to and from over the new year:

Plus points - the new domestic terminal t2 check in is light and spacious, much more pleasant than the check in area then t1. the security queues are about the same, airside there's noticeably several more shops and many more eating and coffee places now to stop off at. the negatives - the check in process is now a longer queue (at least for nokair), its not obvious with the process to see if your checked-in luggage has now passed security (yes, i knew before so ok).  airside the shop prices continue to rise (especially the perfume shop) and in the downstairs area for bussed flights its getting even more crowded. my main issue though is with the new arrivals setup for taxis in t2 - the terminal was not finished with its soft opening,  poor signage, and the taxi queue was bad here even compared to my worst experiences in t1 or swampy. we are talking 40-50 minutes on a sunday evening @ 6pm to queue for a taxi. it may well be quicker to walk back to t1 if you want one.

My thoughts after going to and from over the new year:

Plus points - the new domestic terminal t2 check in is light and spacious, much more pleasant than the check in area then t1. the security queues are about the same, airside there's noticeably several more shops and many more eating and coffee places now to stop off at. the negatives - the check in process is now a longer queue (at least for nokair), its not obvious with the process to see if your checked-in luggage has now passed security (yes, i knew before so ok).  airside the shop prices continue to rise (especially the perfume shop) and in the downstairs area for bussed flights its getting even more crowded. my main issue though is with the new arrivals setup for taxis in t2 - the terminal was not finished with its soft opening,  poor signage, and the taxi queue was bad here even compared to my worst experiences in t1 or swampy. we are talking 40-50 minutes on a sunday evening @ 6pm to queue for a taxi. it may well be quicker to walk back to t1 if you want one.

Avoid all the taxi queues by going up to departures and walking out of the door there.  I do this many times every year and never have to wait even seconds to be able to get a taxi there.  They have just dropped off customers and love to get a return fare.   Think they are not really supposed to stop there but they always do.

Suvanabhumi was too small for purpose when it opened and after mothballing Don Mueang they had to quickly reopen it.  Then they forced out some of the domestic airlines who also flew international as well.  Bit by bit they are trying to get more and more flights from D.M. again because Suvanabhumi can not cope.   Another terminal is planned but still in planning stage and will not open for a long time, so expect even more flights from D.M. in near future.

I'll be glad when they button it up and are 100% done with the renovations.  Other than the basics, I could care less about the amenities of most airports, it is a transient point, not a destination.

• 3 months later...

I arrive here at 3am then fly 2pm same day from here. Any ideas around Don Mueang for some quick action at this time of the morning? Or do I need to go into Bankok and come back in traffic?

Archived