Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Must legally be able to work in Thailand without the company having to obtain a work permit

Hermansen

• Must legally be able to work in Thailand without the company having to obtain a work permit

So what does this really mean?

Possible for me as a 33 y old to to get a work permit / visa without involving an employer?

Thanks.

I would say you've read & understood that correctly.

Yes, but is the implication that only Thai nationals or foreigners already holding a permanent visa can hold the position, or would I be able to get a working visa on my own initiative?

It reads more or less how we would advertise for positions in the USA

Companies do not want to go through the hassle of applying for the visa on behalf of the foreigner or do not want to wait and complete paperwork while he gets his / her own

I would say that if you are not currently legally allowed to work in Thailand, you should not apply

If you really want yo work in Thailand, I believe it would be a good idea to contact an immigration attorney as they can point out options (or do a Google search on the topic)

Not sure how it works there but you cannot legally work anywhere other than the company that sponsored your visa here in China. Is this an English teaching gig? They might let it slide but a proper job would not be able to do that. Working there with a visa from another company is the same as not having a working visa here.

Countdown Clocks

Sounds like they want someone that is willing to work illegally. Not a good idea since only you would be in trouble if found out, not the company.

Doing so also puts the company in a good position to screw you such as not paying final salary etc. since it would be hard to complain if you aren't legal.

Yes, but is the implication that only Thai nationals or foreigners already holding a permanent visa can hold the position, or would I be able to get a working visa on my own initiative?

I would say both. Basically they want you to be able to work in Thailand legally, but they don't want all the hassle of helping you achieve that.

My info is probably out of date and might only apply to Bkk, but it used to be in order for a foreigner to get a work visa the company had to secure a U$36000 bond with the Thai government which would be forfeited if deemed the farang had fucked up in some way + many other additional hoops for the employer to jump through, ...so unless the position was really high end and/or only a farang would do, they would likely seek to steer clear of the headache. 

English teaching gig? They might let it slide but a proper job would not be able to do that. Working there with a visa from another company is the same as not having a working visa here.

...so unless the position was really high end and/or only a farang would do, they would likely seek to steer clear of the headache. 

It's not a teaching gig. It's with a large Canadian multinational and requires an MBA.

Thanks for all input! An expat told me that it was fairly straight forward as long as you have a signed contract for a position, but you have to renew every 2 years. But from the advise here, it sounds like a hassle.

It's not a teaching gig. It's with a large Canadian multinational and requires an MBA.

Thanks for all input! An expat told me that it was fairly straight forward as long as you have a signed contract for a position, but you have to renew every 2 years. But from the advise here, it sounds like a hassle.

if you sign up with a company and this company doesn't want to help you with getting your work permit, I can guarantee there is ZERO chance of you getting a work permit based on that position on your own.

the list of required documents makes that simply impossible, since three quarters of the documents need to come from the employer.

Possible for me as a 33 y old to to get a work permit / visa without involving an employer?.

No. This assumes you were not born in Thailand. I suspect that is so.

Don't just take my word for it Hermansen, my info is from nearly twenty years ago, things may have changed since then.

Archived