IGNORED

Are the courses too long for the average golfer?

osofedup

I have played a few courses in the area and think that for most golfers of a certain age and handicap (I am 60, play off 18) the courses are too long.

In general I am a pretty straight  but short hitter, driver circa 200 yards, then 3 wood, circa 170 yards, which usually leaves me a pitch onto the green on most of the par fours

Other than the par 3s it seems that I may as well play with about 5 clubs in my bag!!

Anyone else experience this? Are there any short course recommendations that may help me enjoy the experience a little more and maybe even use all my clubs!!

I find it the same, the solution is to chip and putt better.

just play from the advanced men's tee.

the problem from my point of view is that many top courses keep their fairways very moist with the effect of most of my shots getting zero roll.

I hit 220 yards with a driver - with no roll from the white tees on the Siam courses and Laem Chabang this means nearly always hitting a long iron or a 5 wood to reach the par 4s - it's a difficult challenge.

Played the blue tees a couple of times - a humbling experience.

I was doing a solo round when I caught up to another solo female player.

I asked if I could play on with her instead of playing through.

She was having trouble too reaching the greens so I offered her some advice.

"Hold the club firm but not tight...like you might hold your husband's cock"

So she had a swing and came up about 25 metres short of the green.

"How was that!" she said

"Great"  I replied..."But you may have made the green if you take your mouth off the grip" 555!

I am not inplying that this may be your Achilles heel!  :GoldenSmile1:

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

Yes they are long but the more times you hit the ball the better value you're getting

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Golden ferret golf society, Peter runs it. They p,at from the front tees, not a long hitter. Check with him, he knows the shorter courses, a lot of the players in his group are older, short hitters, really nice people.

play from the reds if it makes you enjoy it more

And wearing a short skirt is quite pleasant on a hot day

been going up to Pattaya for 7 years, twice a year. In my group of 4 we have a couple of shorter hitters, so we tend to go for the white tees (or yellow).

Apart from when there's been a lot of overnight rain , we've found we get reasonable roll on the fairways.

An 18 handicapper is not meant to get on any green in regulation anyway....that's why we have handicaps. If an 18 handicapper gets on a par 4 in 3, in reality he's on in handicap regulation.

Just sayin'

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I have played a few courses in the area and think that for most golfers of a certain age and handicap (I am 60, play off 18) the courses are too long.

In general I am a pretty straight  but short hitter, driver circa 200 yards, then 3 wood, circa 170 yards, which usually leaves me a pitch onto the green on most of the par fours

Other than the par 3s it seems that I may as well play with about 5 clubs in my bag!!

Anyone else experience this? Are there any short course recommendations that may help me enjoy the experience a little more and maybe even use all my clubs!!

been going up to Pattaya for 7 years, twice a year. In my group of 4 we have a couple of shorter hitters, so we tend to go for the white tees (or yellow).

Apart from when there's been a lot of overnight rain , we've found we get reasonable roll on the fairways.

An 18 handicapper is not meant to get on any green in regulation anyway....that's why we have handicaps. If an 18 handicapper gets on a par 4 in 3, in reality he's on in handicap regulation.

Just sayin'

Precisely !!

As an 18 marker, with a shot on each hole , you expect to hit the green in regulation !   If this is a realistic expectation , your handicap is wrong.

IF your handicap is accurate , you are expected to play "bogey golf".

Make me laugh , when I see & hear this common complaint whinge , fact & fiction blurred at the edges.

I have zero sympathy for you , by your own admission you have a "pitch" to the green for your GIR shot , while the lower marker has numerous mid to long iron (or more) shots to hit the green in their GIR.

What about the shortish par 5s of < 500 yards , you have a shot & by your reckoning , have a 130 yard 3rd shot to be on for 1 under your GIR.  Course management , taking into account your handicap allowance is the formula for success.  Play the course , with your handicap in mind , and you may not be beaten before you tee it up , because you can't hit the majority of par 4s in 2 , boo hoo for you .

btw , I am 60+ , single figure marker , 

*GIR , Green in Regulation

ps , failing being able to come to grips with being an 18 (or more) handicapper who cannot hit all the greens in par regulation, there is always bowls , croquet , or maybe knitting.

No offense but if you are an 18 that means you should not reach most greens in regulation.  So hitting it 200 and 170 and having a pitch left is about right.  One aspect of golf there is some of us are used to roll in our home countries.  I know I can get 30 yards more in AZ on a well trimmed fairway.  Fairways in Thailand usually don't give any roll so we find ourselves hitting the ball shorter.  

You could move up a set of tees.  Its a game and meant to be fun so up to you.  Of course that isn't an answer unless your playing partners are also moving up.  And some courses still don't have senior tees and the stigma of playing the "women" (red) tees doesn't appeal to most of us.  

Honestly, at 60 off an 18 I wouldn't feel badly if you can't reach half the par 4s in regulation.  I know.  Not much help am I.   :GoldenSmile1:

All that goes out the window though when you regularly 4 putt !!

All that goes out the window though when you regularly 4 putt !!

Sounds like time to get a different caddie :ThumbUp6:

Just sayin'

You've never seen an 18 cap 3 putt? An 18 cap will probably hit at least a 3rd of greens in regulation with some 3 putts and also have some other high scoring holes. 

I'd recommend playing off white or even shorter tees. You could even do a combo by playing the par 5's and shorter par 4's from the blues, but whites or shorter for the long par 4's. Love the game, but it's no fun if its too frustrating or hard for you. 

Sounds like time to get a different caddie :ThumbUp6:

That would work, get someone else to do the putting ! I nominate Mr J Speith please.

You've never seen an 18 cap 3 putt? An 18 cap will probably hit at least a 3rd of greens in regulation with some 3 putts and also have some other high scoring holes. 

Yes, I've seen many 18 handicappers 3 putt. I've also seen them 4 putt. I've also seen them drain a one putt birdie.

That's why they're on 18...they're erratic.

But that's not my point....the OP was saying the courses in Thailand seemed to be a bit too long for an 18 handicapper...meaning he can't reach the greens in regulation. My point is, he's not supposed to. Even though occasionally he will. 

Happy golfing :GoldenSmile1: .....which is what golf is all about at the end of the day....having fun with 3 (or more) like minded mates.

I remember playing a stable ford match a long time ago, playing off 28 handicap, when I 'blobbed' a par 5 and on the next par 3 hole I scored 5 points. I invented the word erratic lol

I am by no means a golfer. Basically, I suck at it, but I have a lot of fun playing. I have played Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, and of course in the US.  No, I don't think the Thailand course are too long, or that much different than others that I have played. Actually, the hardest courses I've played are in Taiwan.  From a distance standpoint, I don't have the much trouble reaching the green in regulation. However, accuracy, consistency, and control is another story. Yes, I can improve those if I give up distance, which I do from time to time. Only been playing for a year. I think the focus should be on having fun and improving my skills, not complaining about the courses.

Then again, just my opinion....

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

I have yet to play in Patts, but plan to this vaca…can't one play just 9 holes?  Most times I play in US, only opt to play 9.  In the sun and heat and having been drinking, etc, 9 holes is plenty for me, plus-lots of time involved (cc 2 hours vs. 3.5).  Anyone else think like this? or am I a Sally?

I have yet to play in Patts, but plan to this vaca…can't one play just 9 holes?  Most times I play in US, only opt to play 9.  In the sun and heat and having been drinking, etc, 9 holes is plenty for me, plus-lots of time involved (cc 2 hours vs. 3.5).  Anyone else think like this? or am I a Sally?

The only 9 hole course I know of sucks.  And i don't know if the other courses will sell you a 9 hole green fee.  For me it's 18 anyway.  If I get organized to play I'd rather play a full course.  Teach his own though.

18 holes is a breeze in Thailand if you hire a cart, plenty of "halfway houses" if you want to keep your beer supply up.

Even some of the caddies will have a beer with you....providing you pay of course.

Played Burapha St Andrews 2000 Siam old course and Khao Keow last month and found them all very playable and enjoyable. I play off 18 and found them no different or any harder than any of the courses I've played at home- it all depends on chipping and putting- some of the greens are very tricky!!!!

I'd recommend playing off white or even shorter tees. You could even do a combo by playing the par 5's and shorter par 4's from the blues, but whites or shorter for the long par 4's. Love the game, but it's no fun if its too frustrating or hard for you.

There's a good game we used to play,there are a couple of names for it that we used,red,white and blue or 666,pretty simple but enjoyable,judging the Holes by your playing skills and or Course Handicap you choose to play from the Front tees(red)medium tees (white) medal tees(blue) or whatever Colour formation the Course has,all you need to do is choose which Holes matches your skill or handicap then play 6 holes from each of the tees, front,medium back we thought it was a better way to enjoy a different approach.

Archived