IGNORED

Fav' Thai eatery

Mr magoo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally tried the Vientiane restaurant the other evening. We had the larp pla duk (catfish), a somtum each, mine was somtum thai, tirak had her somtum with blue crab, we each had a "takip" of sticky rice, plus we had 2 large Heinekens. That added up to 510Bt, but when they boy bought the bill it was 750 Bt. I always reckon bills up in my head before I order the check bin, so I have an idea of the ballpark figure. Anyway, the boy took the 750 Bt bill back and bought a new one for the correct price. So I say watch them, if I was just a fresh tourist in town they would have done me for an addition 240Bt.

Food as good but not exceptional. Next time we'll try the chor chang somtum yok krok that jay5335 has recommended.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Best Isaan place I know in Patters is opposite the village on Third Road. Much cheaper than Central I'm guessin'. Don't go at noon unless you want to wait a long time. Lots of lovely nurses from the nearby hospital though so the wait ain't so bad.

Some suggested dishes:

sum tom kapote kai kem (corn sum tom with salted egg) 50 baht

Tom Saep graduuk moo (Isaan hot and sour soup with ribs) 60 baht

Tons of other Isaan standards. The popularity of the place, filled with Thais with a rare Farang, lets you know you're on the right track.

Here's the location on google maps street view--wasn't there when this photo was taken, was a different place, Wokichiw?

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9259986,100.8849527,3a,43.7y,1.17h,87.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz09Q_l3-iQ8x8iGHxTKJ3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know this Isaan restaurant and have eaten there a couple times. They are cheap and the food is really good. Also they don't sell beer but you can buy your own from the 7 across the road and that makes it a real cheap meal. My only complaint, and the reason we don't go back now, is the owners keep several cats and the place smells of cat piss. Also last time we had dinner there one of the cats was puking up some disgusting shit on the floor next to our table.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

marine seafood,    good thai food and lots and lots of girls walking by

Archived