IGNORED

Another ridiculous controversial proposal for a fee.

THAJEC

Your thoughts? I think Thailand is doing everything possible to take tourists soon "gave up", otherwise I can not explain where do these stupid silly steps.

‘Maintenance Fee’ for All Foreign Tourists Proposed by Tourism Governor

BANGKOK — A plan to charge foreign tourists 360 baht each time they enter the kingdom as a fee to maintain and improve tourist attractions has been proposed by the head of the tourism authority.

Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, suggested in an interview that money collected from the fees could be reinvested in the tourism throughout the kingdom, but almost as soon as the idea was suggested, it was played down by his own organization.

In an interview with Voice TV, Yuthasak said foreign tourists would be charged USD$10 (360 baht) each time they enter Thailand, whether by air, land or sea. Among its uses, he said, would be enhancing security measures.

“It will be collected under the name of a tourist attraction administration fee,” Yuthasak said. “We will use the money to maintain and improve security systems of tourist attractions across the country, in order to support the tourism sector, which has been growing steadily.” 

He also did the math for its potential windfall. 

“If there are 30 million tourists, Thailand will earn 10.8 billion baht per year from this fee, and it will help each province earn around 142 million baht to improve its tourism,” he said.

The plan’s prospects were unclear, however. Hours after the Voice TV published the interview, an official at the tourism authority said the idea was only Yuthasak’s personal idea.

“This is not an official policy. It still needs additional study,” said authority spokeswoman Sunantha Montri. “It’s only an idea.”

She said Yuthasak is attending a summit in the Philippines and not available for comment.

In the Voice TV article, Yuthasak dismissed any concern the fee would adversely affect tourism, saying many countries already had similar policies.

“I believe it won’t affect [tourism] that much, because at the present time many countries already collect this fee in subtle ways,” he said without elaborating. 

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

I just paid 25 euro for a Myanmar visa and last trip i paid 30 US dollars ( i think) at Siem Reap airport for a visa to enter Cambodia.

Annoying, yes, will 360 baht stop me from visiting Thailand, no!

I just paid 25 euro for a Myanmar visa and last trip i paid 30 US dollars ( i think) at Siem Reap airport for a visa to enter Cambodia.

Thanks for your opinion Andy. Not even me also stop from visiting, but fees and other nonsense, and various stupid inventions ever and ever growing

Does this mean that they are going to do away with the tourist charges at these sites  :WinkGrin1:

Your thoughts? I think Thailand is doing everything possible to take tourists soon "gave up", otherwise I can not explain where do these stupid silly steps.

‘...........but almost as soon as the idea was suggested, it was played down by his own organization.

See above.

they do similar things around Thailand already.. like you have to pay when you get off the boat at samet for use of the pier for up keep costs.. then again when you go on samet for up keep costs of the national park.. shame they don't use the money to pay to take the rubbish off the island. that place has to be the biggest joke of a national park in the world.. phi phi there is also a cost when you arrive at the island

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

The guy was suggesting the fee in addition to any visa charge already levied or re entry permits.

His "suggestion" would have ended free visa on arrivals and substituted them with an "entry fee"

Like though, many pronouncements from Thai officials, its been quickly quashed as its just a guy shooting from the lip.

Its a nothingness really but will the guy be sacked .................most probably not.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

Phuket Governor has just announced that all tourists going on a boat trip must have their passports and hold them up to CCTV before boarding.

Truly, you couldn't make it up.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Many countries have governnent taxes and charges on arrivals and departures. You just don't notice it because they make the airlines build it into the fare.

Australia, another popular tourist destination, is notorious for this.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/federal-budget/taxes-and-charges-flying-high-20120511-1yi9m.html

Indonesia also levies an arrival fee (about $30usd?) because Bali is popular with Aussies.

Have a lot of tourists? Government is going to find a way to get its share.

Many countries have governnent taxes and charges on arrivals and departures. You just don't notice it because they make the airlines build it into the fare.

Australia, another popular tourist destination, is notorious for this.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/federal-budget/taxes-and-charges-flying-high-20120511-1yi9m.html

Indonesia also levies an arrival fee (about $30usd?) because Bali is popular with Aussies.

Have a lot of tourists? Government is going to find a way to get its share.

Turkey you need a clean £10 note on arrival aswell

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

gee a new fee to help pay for the tourist attractions where falang can pay triple the thai price lol

Cite as a reason that the charge is introduced to the development of the tourist industry is stupid. You can think of dozens of similar reasons, the introduction of various charges.

It should be of interest to government officials to develop the tourism industry from its own funds and not transfer the burden on tourists, which relates to the holiday and contributing enough as his actual visit.

...   :SoWhat1:

Another ridiculous thread about fcuk all   :SoWhat1:

Maybe like this useless post. :SoWhat1:

Maybe like this useless post. :SoWhat1:

You're right.

You're right.

:ThumbUp6:  :hello09:

I enter Thailand six times a year because of my side trips to Laos, PI, Cambodia, etc. The government should at least make the fee an annual/semi annual one that could be determined by passport entry stamps. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

‘Maintenance Fee’ for All Foreign Tourists Proposed by Tourism Governor

BANGKOK — A plan to charge foreign tourists 360 baht each time they enter the kingdom as a fee to maintain and improve tourist attractions has been proposed by the head of the tourism authority

"A plan to charge foreign tourists 360 baht each time they enter the kingdom as a fee to maintain and improve tourist attractions be diverted to the accounts of the head of the tourism authority has been proposed by the head of the tourism authority." 

​Fixed that for you.   :GoldenSmile1:

This would be a slippery slope: B360 now will be B1,000 in a matter of months.

Reminds me of the pants-on-head stupidity of the NZ$50 "departure fee" at the Auckland Airport.

God I hate New Zealand.

Would be easier just to add the tax to the Airlines maybe. No one will lose sleep over 1.5% on the price of a ticket likewise bus and train entry. People don't see it directly they don't complain.

Archived