IGNORED

Naklua Fish Market (Lan Pho Market)

While on the Naklua market I was there today with GF and as we wondered though to the back of the market we came across some large seashells for sale. I picked one of them up and put it to my ear and my GF laughed and said " New phone " I replied " Yes it connects me to the sea" and then handed it to her to try. She put it to her ear and listened the look on her face was priceless. " How, how, how it do this! " Mind officially blown. I'll explain it to her in a few days but for now it sits on the kitchen table with her giving it suspicious looks.[emoji4]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few weeks ago after a lovely afternoon “reunion” shag, my Thai GF treated me and her friends to a feast of seafood from Naklua Fish Market (Lan Pho Market).

I was very excited to go as I had heard about the place from a very good friend of mine and had been meaning to try it out for quite some time. It did not disappoint! Amazing crabs, lobsters, shrimp, clams, oysters, etc. All freshly caught -- alive and kicking when they take them out of the tub, not docile like the ones you see in most restaurants aquariums.

There are little stands just outside the market where they will grill them right up for you over charcoal for 30 baht per kilo (I think that's the price - my TGF paid).

There is a park there where many Thais picnic so you can eat it there. Or take the food home as we did for a real feast with her friends. 

It was some of the best seafood I have ever had. Absolutely delicious. And the guys at the stand grilled it to perfection. Not too dry as is sometimes the case with grilled selfish. Moist and succulent. 

The only down side is that this place is a pain in the ass to get to. At least a 20 minutes drive from the center of town. We went with her car. But it was so damned good it would be worth it to take a taxi there. Especially if going as a group. 

I have since broken up with this girl. My only regret is not taking advantage of the fact that she has a car to make a few more visits to this wonderful place! 555

PS: If someone could explain to me how to rotate images so they don't come out sideways I would be eternally grateful. I have tried numerous methods but I can't figure it out for the life of me :( 

Thanks!

Yes great place for seafood for sure, i was there this morning 300 Baht for a kilo of prawns and 30 baht to get them grilled on the barbie, 150 baht or a bag of approx 50 small oysters, great tasting lunch.....

Seafood????

75% is from the freshwater farms.

I have no knowledge, but assume the prawns at least are farmed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have no knowledge, but assume the prawns at least are farmed

But you wont find River Prawns for sale in Naklua.

But you wont find River Prawns for sale in Naklua.

You find both river and sea prawns in Naklua.

Second that, i 've forgotten how i could spot the difference but the river prawns are better.

That said, plenty of fresh seafood in Naklua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second that, i 've forgotten how i could spot the difference but the river prawns are better.

That said, plenty of fresh seafood in Naklua

River prawns are bigger and green, blue-ish and as i said, they taste better

Well, taste is obviously subjective, but wild sea prawns are generally considered far superior. 'River prawns' that you see in the market are all farmed.

The prices at the Naklua Fish Market are all relative!  The price per KG  of a good prawn is the same as a good lobster! And on par to western prices around the $30 mark!... :GoldenSmile1:

The prices at the Naklua Fish Market are all relative!  The price per KG  of a good prawn is the same as a good lobster! And on par to western prices around the $30 mark!... :GoldenSmile1:

And Lobsters were 1400 baht a kilo on my last visit.

img_4068.jpg

They sell frogs in that market too.

Anyone tried one of those grilled? :)

They sell frogs in that market too.

Anyone tried one of those grilled? :)

I didn't have them there butI ahve eaten them in Vietnam a few times. To me they taste a lot like chicken and are very bony.Nto a whoel lot of meat.  So nothing special. 

• 3 weeks later...

It opens very early, probably about 5-6am and finishes early evening 7-8pm ish, anytime in between is good, less popular stuff may sell out, but the main stuff is always plentiful.

What time do they fire up the grills

I don't know, Naklua is a hive of activity at about 5am, people readying themselves for the day.

I would hazard a guess at 8 to 9am, definitely going well at 10am (earliest I have been)

I don't know, Naklua is a hive of activity at about 5am, people readying themselves for the day.

I would hazard a guess at 8 to 9am, definitely going well at 10am (earliest I have been)

Thanks, that's about when I wake so can head straight over for breakfast

• 1 month later...

Doea anyone know what the seating area around here is like during songkran days?

No seating area, but plenty of park land, live like the natives :)

Doea anyone know what the seating area around here is like during songkran days?

I have used the park during other Thai holidays, and its not the seating that is the problem.

Its the availability and price of seafood in the market.

You will always find a spot to sit down in the park.

e53d6841fbcb3707ce9ccc6471cea420.jpg

First time I've noticed this sign, so went and had a look, its at the head of the second car park.

6d050f90663542993530f76d9f5a91ec.jpg

That's the place looks like it was finished for the day (5pm) 50 baht starting is a bit expensive but the free salad and fruit may make up for it.

One time I ate here and it was excellent, the following time I said never again. This restaurant is up the spiral staircase.  Maybe it is good now, nice breeze comes through there.

I was meaning, is it a songkran war zone or not?

The 19th will be a bit of a war zone, but the rest of songkran not so much, although you probably still will get wet

I was meaning, is it a songkran war zone or not?

Naklua celebrates Songkran on the 18th, so that day will be a war zone for sure.

Been there this afternoon with the GF and another lady.

At 6pm u still can purchase and eat ur grilled food there.

A very cool place and a nice change for a lunch.

I buy 1kg of Kung at 280 baht/kg, 500gr squid at 220 bah/kg , and 1kg of clams at 160 baht..?

They also sell spicy sauce at 50 or 100 baht

With some sticky rice on the side.. More than enough to feed us.

There's also a 7/11 nearby to buy beer etc..

A well recommanded place !

Archived