IGNORED

uk settlement/spouse visa help?

Brassmaster

From what I've read, it makes no difference to the settlement decision whether you're married or not. Doesn't seem fair or logical, but that's what they say.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, any help or advice or personal experience will be greatly appreciated. We are struggling with this visa and im reluctant to cough up the 50k fees to pay a agent, PA helped me a lot with the tourist visa we successfully applied for last year and so i thought i would ask for help again before i give up. While in the uk for 6 months last year we got married and returned to thailand for 4 months to get her settlement visa, i was under the impression that this was the easy one as we are already legally married in the uk, i was wrong...  If anyone has any experience im struggling with.

the medical fee you have to pay? so you have to pay a 30k medical insurance to the uk (you can claim this back once she has a successful medical in the uk) but do you also have to take a medical in thailand for the application or is it one or the other?

She has to provide her bank statements, the 6 months in the uk her account wasnt used at all, she put some money in when she got back but thats all gone now. For the application shall i put some money in to her account to show she has money like i did for her tourist visa? she will be allowed to work if the visa is granted so dont see why she needs money to travel with?

We are under a super short time limit, flights are booked to fly to the uk on 15th march, is there only the landmark hotel in bkk we can do the english test as there is a month waiting list??

It also states we need all original documents?? does this include passports, and my birth certificate is in england... signed photocopy's of originals were sufficient with the tourist visa..?

any help or advice is welcome, when you call a office they just tell you to to look on the website, thats if you dont speak to a robot!

thanks brassmaster

Unfortunately you have gone about it the wrong way.. Think you marriage in UK is possible illegal or not valid would be a kinder version. the embassy may well refuse any further visa if you tell them you have married on a tourist visa as you have broke the terms and conditions of that visa.  Did you contact home office before you did this.. unless you have it in writing granting you permission can not see it been valid no matter what you have been told at a registry office.  

I doubt anybody on here could help as you may need proper legal /professional advice now 

English test would have been better to have done that in the UK.  

Seriously if you are really committed use an agent I used these guys registered in UK and thailand and have UK bank account to pay into.. they did some work for me on a tourist visa was spot on. I was previously married years ago and used an agent then as well but things where easier then. 

http://www.thaivisa-express.com/uk-settlement-visa/

they charge £500 - £800  I think but no visa no agency fee ( you still have to pay for the application) but they will talk to you for free and give you advise..   seriously for the sake of £500 I would get them to sort it. Getting A settlement visa can be a fucking headache. in the grand plan of things and years of future happiness what is a few hundred quid.  but check with them to see what is included.. some thing syou have to pay for anyway that might be included in that fee like x-ray,,  english test etc

My friend got married at xmas and applied afterwards he was so pissed with Thai and embassy bureaucracy he vowed never to return it was that bad trying to do it himself. he always did the tourist visa himself for about 5 years. so wasn't shy to the visa process.  but I have heard of people doing it themselves and been successful.  but believe things have been tightened up again. 

might be best to just get married in thailand now and apply it is not a quick process. but take professional advice. 

Unfortunately you have gone about it the wrong way.. Think you marriage in UK is possible illegal or not valid would be a kinder version. the embassy may well refuse any further visa if you tell them you have married on a tourist visa as you have broke the terms and conditions of that visa.  Did you contact home office before you did this.. unless you have it in writing granting you permission can not see it been valid no matter what you have been told at a registry office.  

I doubt anybody on here could help as you may need proper legal /professional advice now 

Seriously if you are really committed use an agent I used these guys registered in UK and thailand and have UK bank account to pay into.. they did some work for me on a tourist visa was spot on. I was previously married years ago and used an agent then as well but things where easier then. 

they charge £500 - £800  I think but no visa no agency fee ( you still have to pay for the application) but they will talk to you for free and give you advise..   seriously for the sake of £500 I would get them to sort it. Getting A settlement visa can be a fucking headache. in the grand plan of things and years of future happiness what is a few hundred quid.  but check with them to see what is included.. some thing syou have to pay for anyway that might be included in that fee like x-ray,,  english test etc

My friend got married at xmas and applied afterwards he was so pissed with Thai and embassy bureaucracy he vowed never to return it was that bad trying to do it himself. he always did the tourist visa himself for about 5 years. so wasn't shy to the visa process.  but I have heard of people doing it themselves and been successful.  but believe things have been tightened up again. 

might be best to just get married in thailand now and apply it is not a quick process. but take professional advice. 

Good post I agree 100%

Only problem is He potentialy needs to be 'unmarried' in the UK first. If indeed they made a huge error in alloying it. If He Marries in Thailand, He would need a letter from the UK embassy saying He's not Married. If He signs that He's broken British law surely?

His UK Marriage will be on the system. Easily checkable.

Get a divorce first but can that be done if the marriage isn't 100% legal?

Yes. He needs to clarify things with the Home office first then work it all out later.

On a side note. Nice to see the Calais Migrants starting to arrive in the UK. NOT. What a mess. I feel sorry for Brits stuck in this visa applications nightmare.

It's seriously NOT FAIR.

Britain is no longer for the British. Second class in that Country. The whole thing's a joke.

Can't do it anymore, they want to see all your books and that every transaction matches your bank statements.

My accountant said it could be done but would end up with me getting about a 4 grand tax bill instead of £260 so I went for the savings route.

Wankers aint they

Very hard to do these days

It is a joke mate

I've emailed the lawyer asking for all the details from the Home Office and the case number etc, I want to see the documents myself and then I'm going to get advice off of a couple of other people.

The appeal is lodged already and that should by her another 6 - 9 months. At the worst and I have to pay again at least the financial side of things will be ready by Aug/ Sept which is when I plan to go back to redo it.

I've got my fingers crossed that an Immigration Judge will have a look at it for me and give his opinion first.

:)

I've emailed the lawyer asking for all the details from the Home Office and the case number etc, I want to see the documents myself and then I'm going to get advice off of a couple of other people.

The appeal is lodged already and that should by her another 6 - 9 months. At the worst and I have to pay again at least the financial side of things will be ready by Aug/ Sept which is when I plan to go back to redo it.

I've got my fingers crossed that an Immigration Judge will have a look at it for me and give his opinion first.

I went to Immigration court in Birmingham, they couldn't let me go to the main one near Heathrow as it was too convenient for me  :Crazy1:

The woman there representing the Home Office was the most sour faced miserable looking bitch you can ever imagine, she would have shit the life out of Hitler.

The judge was nice enough but had already made his decision (not that he admitted it) before we had a chance to say anything but he did say that the only way to get leave to remain in our case was to prove very exceptional circumstances. I gave them about 10 reasons, obviously he didn't see if our way and the appeal rejection letter was in the post within a fortnight.

If you want to have a chat about it Dave just inbox me your number and we can have a chat, I have been down that route so maybe able to give you a heads up.

Best of luck anyway mate

I went to Immigration court in Birmingham, they couldn't let me go to the main one near Heathrow as it was too convenient for me :Crazy1:

The woman there representing the Home Office was the most sour faced miserable looking bitch you can ever imagine, she would have shit the life out of Hitler.

The judge was nice enough but had already made his decision (not that he admitted it) before we had a chance to say anything but he did say that the only way to get leave to remain in our case was to prove very exceptional circumstances. I gave them about 10 reasons, obviously he didn't see if our way and the appeal rejection letter was in the post within a fortnight.

If you want to have a chat about it Dave just inbox me your number and we can have a chat, I have been down that route so maybe able to give you a heads up.

Best of luck anyway mate

Much appreciated.

Thanks

Mate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've just had my wifes application refused, we've appealed but not sure if I'll get it.

Plan is now to concentrate on the finacial requirements and try again from Thailand in 6 months.

A least as we've appealed the wife can stay in the UK for now.

I'm really sorry to hear that Dave, you have my utmost best wishes for the appeal.  I too may very well return to the UK at some stage in the future to look after me mum if and when she suffers from ill health, she's currently coming up to her 86th and in good health but i live in fear of her health deteriorating and her needing 24/7 care.

I've been legally married to my Thai wifey for 9 years and would obviously want to take her with me, the thought of leaving her in Thailand just does'nt bear thinking about.

The UK Immigration system is well and truly fxxked, why should genuine cases be treated in such a manner, there is no justifiable reason imo.

Apologies to the OP for any perceived TFing and i wish you every success in your application.

The whole visa system in my eyes is a way of making money and making it as difficult as possible for UK residents to bring partners\wives that are non EU. I feel the system in the past was abused a we are paying for it.

We have been successful, but at a cost. We got married in Thailand, after 2 vistor visas, she was happy to bring her daughter to lie in the UK. We applied ourselves after much research, I am lucky as i meet all the criteria, as she does as well, we had all the original documents.

What has really pissed me off, is we had to to apply for the 2nd part of the FLR route and had to pay £500 NHS surcharge each for both my wife and daughter. This seems particually harsh as she is working and paying tax already. She then had to take an English test again, as the original was over to years old so invalid, the cost £150, it was a waste of time, she passed easily, she is talking English everyday at work, so another way of getting more money, I would of thought it stands to reason, if you passed 3 years ago and been living on England, you would obviously pass again, she said the questions were far easier than the original test.

You are then required to apply for a Biometric Resident Permit ( introduced last September ) this is done after you send application to Home Office, they send you a form with a reference, then off to the Post Office to pay another £40.

We got the reply back last week, it was extended, but they dont put the visa stamp in the passports anymore, you have to produce this BRP card now, if you wish to travel abroad.

We did all the paperwork ourselves, as if you employ a visa agent, all they do is fill the form in and charge you £800, you still have to get all the documents together. The whole process still cost £2,500 to complete.

Thank god its over for another 30 months, by then the rules will have changed again.

The whole visa system in my eyes is a way of making money and making it as difficult as possible for UK residents to bring partners\wives that are non EU. I feel the system in the past was abused a we are paying for it.

We have been successful, but at a cost. We got married in Thailand, after 2 vistor visas, she was happy to bring her daughter to lie in the UK. We applied ourselves after much research, I am lucky as i meet all the criteria, as she does as well, we had all the original documents.

What has really pissed me off, is we had to to apply for the 2nd part of the FLR route and had to pay £500 NHS surcharge each for both my wife and daughter. This seems particually harsh as she is working and paying tax already. She then had to take an English test again, as the original was over to years old so invalid, the cost £150, it was a waste of time, she passed easily, she is talking English everyday at work, so another way of getting more money, I would of thought it stands to reason, if you passed 3 years ago and been living on England, you would obviously pass again, she said the questions were far easier than the original test.

You are then required to apply for a Biometric Resident Permit ( introduced last September ) this is done after you send application to Home Office, they send you a form with a reference, then off to the Post Office to pay another £40.

We got the reply back last week, it was extended, but they dont put the visa stamp in the passports anymore, you have to produce this BRP card now, if you wish to travel abroad.

We did all the paperwork ourselves, as if you employ a visa agent, all they do is fill the form in and charge you £800, you still have to get all the documents together. The whole process still cost £2,500 to complete.

Thank god its over for another 30 months, by then the rules will have changed again.

We paid the surcharges also, bio-metric, NHS and the English test.

I assume that I'll have to pay all of that again when we apply as it will probably be a year since our refused application.

Its bollocks as we've been married for over 12 years, All because I lived in Thailand and not the UK.

If I'd of brought her back originally she'd have a passport by now for sure.

We paid the surcharges also, bio-metric, NHS and the English test.

I assume that I'll have to pay all of that again when we apply as it will probably be a year since our refused application.

Its bollocks as we've been married for over 12 years, All because I lived in Thailand and not the UK.

If I'd of brought her back originally she'd have a passport by now for sure.

You shouldnt have to pay the NHS surcharge again as that lasts for sometime, as long as you have the reference number, the same with the English test that covers 2 years, again you will need the reference e mail or certificate.

Sorry you got refused, its not right when murderers from the EU just come in with no checks at all!!!!

My wifes Thai friends she has made here, had it much easier than us, all of them have got UK passports now, some speak little English and cannot read English at all.

Yes, 12 years ago was easy compared to now.

Ouch ouch ouch and ouch again.  You may not have broken any hard and fast rules but by marrying in the uk whilst on a Tourist Visa you'll be made to jump through hoops to obtain a settlement visa now.

You have given the ECO the perfect arranged marriage excuse to veto it.

I suggest you go to that Keyvisa place who by all accounts are very helpful

Just a money making scheme.

All the refugees coming don't have to pass any English tests.

Anyone from the EU can come here and not have to know any English.

It is amazing how many can't understand anything but they know how to claim benefits 

Ouch ouch ouch and ouch again.  You may not have broken any hard and fast rules but by marrying in the uk whilst on a Tourist Visa you'll be made to jump through hoops to obtain a settlement visa now.

You have given the ECO the perfect arranged marriage excuse to veto it.

I suggest you go to that Keyvisa place who by all accounts are very helpful

I can't see how anyone can get married on a tourist visa, surely the place they registered the marriage with has guidelines they have to adhere to and checks they have to make.

You shouldnt have to pay the NHS surcharge again as that lasts for sometime, as long as you have the reference number, the same with the English test that covers 2 years, again you will need the reference e mail or certificate.

Sorry you got refused, its not right when murderers from the EU just come in with no checks at all!!!!

My wifes Thai friends she has made here, had it much easier than us, all of them have got UK passports now, some speak little English and cannot read English at all.

Yes, 12 years ago was easy compared to now.

I'm glad we done it 11 years ago. It did cost a lot as we did the fast track visas at the Public Enquiry Office. The place where a little window opens up and they take your application then make an immediate decision. Luckily the twice we went there we got the same official. He lived in the next street to us and recognised me and Her. Twice we got this fellow to make the decision and He was more interested in talking about Killie (Kilmarnock football club) then going through all our paperwork. 

When we went in for the ILR (residency) He shouted her to His window and said... "sorry it's bad news I'm afraid. You're going to have to stay with this guy, I'm jealous" lol that was funny. 

I'm not in entire agreement with many on the thread that the marriage is illegal in the uk despite the links. I get the distinct impression the list of "can not do" is part of the different types of Visa set up not the law.

Surely anyone anywhere in the world "who are free to marry" can do so lawfully ??

In addition the Registrar is the individual who checks the paperwork. If he/she was good to go than that is that

In addition theres a reason why they want you to apply for a Fiance Visa as going from memory its 8 times more expensive than tourist visa

I can't see how anyone can get married on a tourist visa, surely the place they registered the marriage with has guidelines they have to adhere to and checks they have to make.

See #67 Llloydie

I'm glad we done it 11 years ago. It did cost a lot as we did the fast track visas at the Public Enquiry Office. The place where a little window opens up and they take your application then make an immediate decision. Luckily the twice we went there we got the same official. He lived in the next street to us and recognised me and Her. Twice we got this fellow to make the decision and He was more interested in talking about Killie (Kilmarnock football club) then going through all our paperwork. 

When we went in for the ILR (residency) He shouted her to His window and said... "sorry it's bad news I'm afraid. You're going to have to stay with this guy, I'm jealous" lol that was funny. 

I have a mate living in Dubai thats supports Killie

Must be 3 of you

I'm not in entire agreement with many on the thread that the marriage is illegal in the uk despite the links. I get the distinct impression the list of "can not do" is part of the different types of Visa set up not the law.

Surely anyone anywhere in the world "who are free to marry" can do so lawfully ??

In addition the Registrar is the individual who checks the paperwork. If he/she was good to go than that is that

Registrars are well clued up on Marriages. Plus they need to prove they are NOT Married. They check everything. No registrar would miss these points. I'm starting to think there might be something 'fishy' about this thread. Where's the O.P.?

See #67 Llloydie

If our Government state you can't get married on a certain type of visa then I can't see how it can be legal.

Or am I missing something?

I have a mate living in Dubai thats supports Killie

Must be 3 of you

I actually don't bother about football but we lived about 5 minutes walk from the Killie ground.

Registrars are well clued up on Marriages. Plus they need to prove they are NOT Married. They check everything. No registrar would miss these points. I'm starting to think there might be something 'fishy' about this thread. Where's the O.P.?

Maybe lurking in the shadows

If our Government state you can't get married on a certain type of visa then I can't see how it can be legal.

Or am I missing something?

Nope. I don't see how a register would or could miss that. They Marry people every day. They MUST know the Law on this.

Archived