Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

uk settlement/spouse visa help?

Brassmaster

Hello, any help or advice or personal experience will be greatly appreciated. We are struggling with this visa and im reluctant to cough up the 50k fees to pay a agent, PA helped me a lot with the tourist visa we successfully applied for last year and so i thought i would ask for help again before i give up. While in the uk for 6 months last year we got married and returned to thailand for 4 months to get her settlement visa, i was under the impression that this was the easy one as we are already legally married in the uk, i was wrong...  If anyone has any experience im struggling with.

the medical fee you have to pay? so you have to pay a 30k medical insurance to the uk (you can claim this back once she has a successful medical in the uk) but do you also have to take a medical in thailand for the application or is it one or the other?

She has to provide her bank statements, the 6 months in the uk her account wasnt used at all, she put some money in when she got back but thats all gone now. For the application shall i put some money in to her account to show she has money like i did for her tourist visa? she will be allowed to work if the visa is granted so dont see why she needs money to travel with?

We are under a super short time limit, flights are booked to fly to the uk on 15th march, is there only the landmark hotel in bkk we can do the english test as there is a month waiting list??

It also states we need all original documents?? does this include passports, and my birth certificate is in england... signed photocopy's of originals were sufficient with the tourist visa..?

any help or advice is welcome, when you call a office they just tell you to to look on the website, thats if you dont speak to a robot!

thanks brassmaster

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it easy to get married in the uk on a tourist visa, I seem to remember something about it being against the many rules the British government put in our way. Don't get me started on the government though, bunch of self righteous self centred scum bags that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Rant over

Hopefully someone will be able to advise you on here... Good luck

Hello, any help or advice or personal experience will be greatly appreciated. We are struggling with this visa and im reluctant to cough up the 50k fees to pay a agent, PA helped me a lot with the tourist visa we successfully applied for last year and so i thought i would ask for help again before i give up. While in the uk for 6 months last year we got married and returned to thailand for 4 months to get her settlement visa, i was under the impression that this was the easy one as we are already legally married in the uk, i was wrong...  If anyone has any experience im struggling with.

the medical fee you have to pay? so you have to pay a 30k medical insurance to the uk (you can claim this back once she has a successful medical in the uk) but do you also have to take a medical in thailand for the application or is it one or the other?

She has to provide her bank statements, the 6 months in the uk her account wasnt used at all, she put some money in when she got back but thats all gone now. For the application shall i put some money in to her account to show she has money like i did for her tourist visa? she will be allowed to work if the visa is granted so dont see why she needs money to travel with?

We are under a super short time limit, flights are booked to fly to the uk on 15th march, is there only the landmark hotel in bkk we can do the english test as there is a month waiting list??

It also states we need all original documents?? does this include passports, and my birth certificate is in england... signed photocopy's of originals were sufficient with the tourist visa..?

any help or advice is welcome, when you call a office they just tell you to to look on the website, thats if you dont speak to a robot!

thanks brassmaster

Did She enter the UK on a fiancee visa? If not your Marriage isn't legal. Could you clarify this please. AFAIK you CANNOT Marry on a tourist visa. We've been down this road and needed a fiancee visa.

Was it easy to get married in the uk on a tourist visa, I seem to remember something about it being against the many rules the British government put in our way. Don't get me started on the government though, bunch of self righteous self centred scum bags that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Rant over

Hopefully someone will be able to advise you on here... Good luck

You CANNOT Marry on a tourist visa AFAIK. Why there are fiancee visas and you must Marry during the time of the visa. First thing immigration asked my girlfriend at Heathrow was the date of our Wedding.   

Did She enter the UK on a fiancee visa? If not your Marriage isn't legal. Could you clarify this please. AFAIK you CANNOT Marry on a tourist visa. We've been down this road and needed a fiancee visa.

we married on a tourist visa, we did ask in the uk and got told it was no problem...????

You CANNOT Marry on a tourist visa AFAIK. Why there are fiancee visas and you must Marry during the time of the visa. First thing immigration asked my girlfriend at Heathrow was the date of our Wedding.   

so you got married in the uk on a tourist visa, got a settlement visa granted then on the way back to the uk she got questioned about the wedding?? was she allowed in the uk?

so you got married in the uk on a tourist visa, got a settlement visa granted then on the way back to the uk she got questioned about the wedding?? was she allowed in the uk?

No. My fiancee entered the UK on a fiancee visa. You CANNOT Marry on a tourist/visitors visa. We Married before the 6 Months expired then She got 2 years FLR (further leave to remain) then ILR (indefinite leave to remain) then UK Nationality. That's how it works or used to!

http://www.siam-legal.com/UK_Visa/uk-visa-visitor.php

Activities not permitted on a general visitor visa

• Must not intend to study in the UK
  • Must not intend to charge the public for services provided or goods received
  • Must not intend to undertake business, sport or entertainer visitor activities
  • Must not intend to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK
  • Must not intend to receive private medical treatment during your visit to the UK
  • Must not be a transit passenger to a country outside the Common Travel Area

we married on a tourist visa, we did ask in the uk and got told it was no problem...????

Did you get a certificate of approval from the Home office Brassmaster?

UK Government website. Is this the visa you Married on?

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

What you can and can’t do

You can:

You can’t:

• do paid or unpaid work
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • get public funds
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

No. My fiancee entered the UK on a fiancee visa. You CANNOT Marry on a tourist/visitors visa. We Married before the 6 Months expired then She got 2 years FLR (further leave to remain) then ILR (indefinite leave to remain) then UK Nationality. That's how it works or used to!

http://www.siam-legal.com/UK_Visa/uk-visa-visitor.php

Activities not permitted on a general visitor visa

• Must not intend to study in the UK
  • Must not intend to charge the public for services provided or goods received
  • Must not intend to undertake business, sport or entertainer visitor activities
  • Must not intend to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK
  • Must not intend to receive private medical treatment during your visit to the UK
  • Must not be a transit passenger to a country outside the Common Travel Area

Same now apart from its now 5 years to get ILR which is fair enough. You get 2 FLR's before the ILR at 5 years.

Same now apart from its now 5 years to get ILR which is fair enough. You get 2 FLR's before the ILR at 5 years.

Is that so. Cheers.

Let me tell you sometimes even the people working at the Home Office get it wrong and make mistakes.

Here is an extract from an email I got from the Home office regarding a British passport for my Son. We weren't Married when He was born. Anyhow, here was my reply from them...

Dear ****** *******

Thank you for your enquiry of date ** ** ****

Your child will not be entitled to apply for British

Nationality after your marriage.

Your child will become eligible for British

Nationality will his mother becomes eligible.

This will be after mother and child obtains Indefinite

Leave To Remain.

Yours sincerely

Beverley Evans

Managed Migrations

-----------------------------------------------------

This advice was WRONG. The UK embassy in Bangkok told me so. And so did the UK passport office. On the date we Married in the UK that legitimized our son and He was entitled to a British passport. That was the Law then. Now children are automatically entitled. Married or not. As long as the Dads name is on the birth cert.

Not everybody working at the home office OR registry Marriage offices knows the Law.  This is the point I'm trying to get across.

Think about this. If any EU member (except a Brit) living in the UK for 90 days or more can take any partner from outside the EU into the UK without a visa, a fee or a health check. The EU member can even be unemployed in the UK. No job required. And after 6 months the, let's say Thai lady gets ILR and can claim benefits etc. The EU member can also take Her extended Family into the UK.

It's called the EU Family permit.

The EU citizen could take the Thai partners whole Family into the UK. Read it. No English test. No health checks. No fee.

Do you still think the 5 years is fair for a Brit?

Did you know this? Outrageous isn't it!

By the way an Irish citizen with British and Irish Nationality can use this EU Law and get around the visa applications by using His Irish passport while entering the UK with His Thai or whatever non EU girlfriend. 

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

Applying as a family member or extended family member

The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

• be in the UK already
  • be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application

If they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months they must either:

• be a ‘qualified person’ (working, looking for work (read unemployed), self-employed, studying or self-sufficient)
  • have a permanent right of residence

Qualifying as a family member

You must be the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or their spouse or civil partner) as their:

• child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • dependent parent or grandparent

Should of got married in Thailand then processed a spouse visa. That's what I did.

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

You can't legally marry on a tourist visa, it needs to be done on a fiance visa

Agree with that.

No response from the O.P. surprising. Be nice to read more about this.

Agree with that.

No response from the O.P. surprising. Be nice to read more about this.

Yes it would be interesting what's happens

Where as the OP gone?

Citizens Advice I hope

Yes it would be interesting what's happens

Where as the OP gone?

Citizens Advice I hope

We Married up in Fort William registry office and we had to give them everything. If my memory serves me right the Thai needs a document from Her Amphur (area she's registered) stating She is NOT CURRENTLY MARRIED. And this has to be translated by a legal person. 

So, my birth cert. My divorce decree. My fiancees birth cert and the letter from Her Amphur. And all the info on Her Family. Mum and Dad even though deceased. Names, D.O.B. place of birth etc. They check everything.

To just waltz into the UK and Marry there must have been a right bloomer made. Unless the Law has changed but not according to the UK Government website.

By the way out of it all the HARDEST part was Her getting a UK passport, not Citizenship. The red tape and identity checking was a right pain in the arse. They take the applicant into a room and in Her case produced a map of Thailand and asked so many questions to cross check Her identity. Even though She was a British Citizen. Madness...Lol

The government announced this week that spouses will have to sit an English test half way through the initial 5 years and 'may' be deported if they fail.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The government announced this week that spouses will have to sit an English test half way through the initial 5 years and 'may' be deported if they fail.

Is that so. To gain citizenship they have to pass the life in the UK OR go to an accredited college and gain units in English. Writing, reading, comprehension etc. That's what Ouy did. Langside collage in Glasgow full time. 

I doubt the policy is thought through. Little this government announces/does is.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

You sure of this? You can marry in the UK on a Visitor Visa although it gives you no right to remain in the UK beyond the end of the Visitor Visa. In fact there used to be (and possibly still is) a UK Visitor Marriage visa specifically for people who wish to marry in the UK but then leave.

We Married up in Fort William registry office and we had to give them everything. If my memory serves me right the Thai needs a document from Her Amphur (area she's registered) stating She is NOT CURRENTLY MARRIED. And this has to be translated by a legal person. 

So, my birth cert. My divorce decree. My fiancees birth cert and the letter from Her Amphur. And all the info on Her Family. Mum and Dad even though deceased. Names, D.O.B. place of birth etc. They check everything.

To just waltz into the UK and Marry there must have been a right bloomer made. Unless the Law has changed but not according to the UK Government website.

By the way out of it all the HARDEST part was Her getting a UK passport, not Citizenship. The red tape and identity checking was a right pain in the arse. They take the applicant into a room and in Her case produced a map of Thailand and asked so many questions to cross check Her identity. Even though She was a British Citizen. Madness...Lol

Before I got married in Thailand I had to sign paperwork at the British Embassy in Bangkok to state I was not married.

The law hasn't changed, you need to be on a fiance visa to get married in UK and it has to be done within 6 months of entering.

A visitor marriage visa can also be used but does not have the same benefits as fiance visa

You sure of this? You can marry in the UK on a Visitor Visa although it gives you no right to remain in the UK beyond the end of the Visitor Visa. In fact there used to be (and possibly still is) a UK Visitor Marriage visa specifically for people who wish to marry in the UK but then leave.

Pretty sure, it needs to be a visitor marriage visa not a standard visitors visa.

Or a fiance visa which has more benefits than the visitor marriage visa

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

Clearly states that you cannot get married on a Standard Visit Visa. (See link below)

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

If you were somehow able to get married whilst on the Visit Visa, it would almost certainly affect any subsequent Visa application as you would have broken Immigration Rules and that is a clear ground for refusal.

Archived