IGNORED

My Way Restaurant Near 2nd Road & Soi Diana

Evil Penevil

My Way is a small restaurant that specializes in Dutch cuisine.  It's located in what's called the Central Shopping Arcade, which is across 2nd Road from Mike's Shopping Mall and runs parallel to Soi Diana. You pass KISS Restaurant, the Beefeater and Patrick on the way to My Way.

A friend from New York and I ate at My Way last night around 7,00 pm.  It had almost filled up inside and out by the time we finished our meal at 7.45 pm.  The same was true for KISS, the Beafeater and Patrick's.  The inside and outside dining areas of all three were full when we walked past.  If last night was typical, the restaurants in the Central Shopping Arcade weren't suffering this high season.

My Way is noted for its large portions of hearty Dutch food at reasonable prices.  Besides attracting Dutch visitors with a taste for home, it's popular with Scandinavians and Germans, judging by the languages spoken at the tables the times I've been there.

post-9139-0-08484800-1452679030.jpg

I decided to try the fried pork belly with stamppot, a traditional Dutch dish consisting of a vegetable or vegetable mixed with mashed potatoes.  I chose the variation with sauerkraut.

post-9139-0-06757100-1452679081.jpg

I liked it, but the stamppot would have benefitted from a bit more sauerkraut. 

post-9139-0-64167100-1452679076.jpg

The pork belly was also good, but I missed the crackling with which I'm accustomed to getting on pork belly in the U.S. or U.K.  I'm not familiar enough with Dutch cuisine to know whether pork belly is usually served without crackling.  For me, the crackling is the best part of pork belly. At 280 baht for the pork belly and 50 baht for a bottle of SML, I certainly couldn't complain,  but I doubt I'll order it again.  I will go back to try the sausage with stamppot.

post-9139-0-58772300-1452679091.jpg

post-9139-0-66830200-1452679293.jpg

My friend had the fish and chips, which he thought was very good.  The substantial slice of fish had been breaded nicely and wasn't at all oily, he said.  He also gave the thick-cut chips full marks.

post-9139-0-17809700-1452680064.jpg

post-9139-0-99730000-1452680067.jpg

post-9139-0-83762600-1452680060.jpg

A small side of garden salad was included  and he was pleased with it as well.

post-9139-0-03544600-1452679074.jpg

On earlier visits to My Way, I've usually had one of their beef tenderloin variations.  It's Thai beef that is surprisingly tender and flavorful.  At 285 baht for 180 grams, it's a good deal.  My Way also offers 300-gram portions of beef.

post-9139-0-68746700-1452679083.jpg

The tenderloin wrapped in bacon was particularly good.  Since it is Dutch style, I can accept that the sauce is poured over the meat in the kitchen.  Normally, I would ask for the sauce or gravy on the side.

post-9139-0-57627200-1452679086.jpg

I've also tried the Dutch-style tomato soup with small meatballs and it was excellent.

post-9139-0-18608300-1452679089.jpg

Bottom line:  there's nothing fancy about My Way and the dishes on it serves up aren't delicate, but it does deliver large and tasty portions at reasonable prices.  There are some Thai dishes on the menu, but I've never tried them.

Evil

devil.gif

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I doubt I'd have found this place but will try to remember to give it a try on my next trip.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Walked by it a million times (Frequent the bar complex almost next to it) but never tried this place. I will now. 

Great review. 50 baht for SML has to be applauded anywhere never mind in a restaurant.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Never knew the Dutch have "cuisine". Unless mashed potatoes with a sausage is called "cuisine" these days.

i have eaten at MY way a few times and it has always been exellent, i usually have a steak, but thai food is also good according to my lady. Worth trying i will return  ,by the way i am nothing to do with this establishment other than a satisfied customer.

It was first recomended to me by an ex pat.

Never knew the Dutch have "cuisine". Unless mashed potatoes with a sausage is called "cuisine" these days.

I'm sure the Dutch would disagree.

Evil

I've tried their Indonesian dishes there such as Nasi Goreng, Bami Goreng. I thought not very good and too greasy compared to Amsterdam or Bali. 

Also tried their Stamppot. Seemed pretty good.

Thanks Evil the pork belly looks great so good but so bad for you as many things in life

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

My Way is a small restaurant that specializes in Dutch cuisine.  It's located in what's called the Central Shopping Arcade, which is across 2nd Road from Mike's Shopping Mall and runs parallel to Soi Diana. You pass KISS Restaurant, the Beefeater and Patrick on the way to My Way.

A friend from New York and I ate at My Way last night around 7,00 pm.  It had almost filled up inside and out by the time we finished our meal at 7.45 pm.  The same was true for KISS, the Beafeater and Patrick's.  The inside and outside dining areas of all three were full when we walked past.  If last night was typical, the restaurants in the Central Shopping Arcade weren't suffering this high season.

My Way is noted for its large portions of hearty Dutch food at reasonable prices.  Besides attracting Dutch visitors with a taste for home, it's popular with Scandinavians and Germans, judging by the languages spoken at the tables the times I've been there.

post-9139-0-08484800-1452679030.jpg

I decided to try the fried pork belly with stamppot, a traditional Dutch dish consisting of a vegetable or vegetable mixed with mashed potatoes.  I chose the variation with sauerkraut.

post-9139-0-06757100-1452679081.jpg

I liked it, but the stamppot would have benefitted from a bit more sauerkraut. 

post-9139-0-64167100-1452679076.jpg

The pork belly was also good, but I missed the crackling with which I'm accustomed to getting on pork belly in the U.S. or U.K.  I'm not familiar enough with Dutch cuisine to know whether pork belly is usually served without crackling.  For me, the crackling is the best part of pork belly. At 280 baht for the pork belly and 50 baht for a bottle of SML, I certainly couldn't complain,  but I doubt I'll order it again.  I will go back to try the sausage with stamppot.

post-9139-0-58772300-1452679091.jpg

post-9139-0-66830200-1452679293.jpg

My friend had the fish and chips, which he thought was very good.  The substantial slice of fish had been breaded nicely and wasn't at all oily, he said.  He also gave the thick-cut chips full marks.

post-9139-0-17809700-1452680064.jpg

post-9139-0-99730000-1452680067.jpg

post-9139-0-83762600-1452680060.jpg

A small side of garden salad was included  and he was pleased with it as well.

post-9139-0-03544600-1452679074.jpg

On earlier visits to My Way, I've usually had one of their beef tenderloin variations.  It's Thai beef that is surprisingly tender and flavorful.  At 285 baht for 180 grams, it's a good deal.  My Way also offers 300-gram portions of beef.

post-9139-0-68746700-1452679083.jpg

The tenderloin wrapped in bacon was particularly good.  Since it is Dutch style, I can accept that the sauce is poured over the meat in the kitchen.  Normally, I would ask for the sauce or gravy on the side.

post-9139-0-57627200-1452679086.jpg

I've also tried the Dutch-style tomato soup with small meatballs and it was excellent.

post-9139-0-18608300-1452679089.jpg

Bottom line:  there's nothing fancy about My Way and the dishes on it serves up aren't delicate, but it does deliver large and tasty portions at reasonable prices.  There are some Thai dishes on the menu, but I've never tried them.

Evil

devil.gif

Thanks Evil, for the wonderful report and the lovely pictures.

Seen the place and noted your views/recommendation.

Think I'' give it a try in Feb. - 

• 2 years later...

Just a brief update- 

I recently had nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice)  with pork satay and deep-fried shrimp chips at My Way. 

IMG_0112.jpg.7eb496b55480b76199136a9aeb30a599.jpg

It cost 325 baht, but the portion of fried rice was at least double  the size of what you get in most restaurants. It's definitely a meal you want to order when quite hungry.

IMG_0114.jpg.5880eb913ee9c2e69dc25795f2557769.jpg

I think nasi goreng is most flavorful of all Asian fried rice variations and the cook at My Way did it well.  If you enjoy nasi goreng, you might want to give My Way's version a try.

Evil

IMG_0116.jpg

I went there recently - I am a very regular customer - and recommend it to my friends

BUT I will not be going back until there is a change of management

Ordered a Chicken Schnitzel - it smelt funny from the start - then I pressed my fork on it and it was oozing oil - I tried to pat it with a napkin to get some of the oil off - but it was horrible - seems the oil wasnt hot enough in the first place - hence why it was so oily

I showed the waitress (who knows me very well) she said ok you want me to change it - I had no confidence so I changed for a pasta dish which incidentally was very watery like they had not drained the water off enough

Anyway - it is what it is - ask for the bill - and lo and behold the Chicken is there AND the Pasta dish - I queried it and got that Thai answer which was a nothing answer - solly mister cannot I no understand etc etc

Proves that Thai staff can kill your business

I will vote with my feet they lost a regular customer ....

I like their food too but if that happened to me I would boycott their business too.

But I'll still go there as it hasn't happened to me. Now I know not to order the schnitzel though. 

Did a review of that meal on Thailand Wine And Dine, I was there with Socrates. The Schnitzel was swimming in oil - he tried to soak up the excess from the breadcrumbs with several paper serviettes but it had been cooked way under temperature. Waste of time, inedible.

Waitress clearly offered to replace it. He asked for the pasta (almost same price) instead.

Absolutely amazed when both were billed. You've got a guy who eats there regularly for years and introduces lots of people to the place, then treat them like that? 

Feel sorry for the owner, not present and apparently extremely ill. 

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

1 hour ago, socrates said:

I went there recently - I am a very regular customer - and recommend it to my friends

Ordered a Chicken Schnitzel - it smelt funny from the start - then I pressed my fork on it and it was oozing oil - I tried to pat it with a napkin to get some of the oil off - but it was horrible - seems the oil wasnt hot enough in the first place - hence why it was so oily

I showed the waitress (who knows me very well) she said ok you want me to change it - I had no confidence so I changed for a pasta dish which incidentally was very watery like they had not drained the water off enough

Anyway - it is what it is - ask for the bill - and lo and behold the Chicken is there AND the Pasta dish - I queried it and got that Thai answer which was a nothing answer - solly mister cannot I no understand etc etc

I was in the restaurant that night. I was having the pepper steak, chips and salad which I thought was really good. 

After you and your mate left two other guys arrived and ordered their meals. Guess what they ordered...yep the chicken schnitzel. After their meals arrived they just sat there, I was wondering why they weren't eating. The waitress hadn't given them cutelry lol. Was a good few minutes before they could start their meal.

Also when the waitress took the bill folder from your table she walked past a fan. As she opened it several 20bt notes blew out and onto the floor. I felt a bit sorry for her at that point. By then she was also serving two full tables outside. She really needed another waitress to help.

1 hour ago, TWD said:

Did a review of that meal on Thailand Wine And Dine, I was there with Socrates. The Schnitzel was swimming in oil - he tried to soak up the excess from the breadcrumbs with several paper serviettes but it had been cooked way under temperature. Waste of time, inedible.

Waitress clearly offered to replace it. He asked for the pasta (almost same price) instead.

Absolutely amazed when both were billed. You've got a guy who eats there regularly for years and introduces lots of people to the place, then treat them like that? 

Feel sorry for the owner, not present and apparently extremely ill. 

Yep. Must be Thai tradition to ask the customer to pay for inedible meals that are sent back to the kitchen. Even to the regular customers like me. I tip pretty good too.

Happened to me at Opal, Soi 7 Beach Rd. Jomtien.....About 5 years ago.

One spoon of the TOM yum soup. Yuk,  my lady speculated that limes were expensive this time of year and they likely used bottled lime juice. The chef really fucked up the dish.  

The manager insisted we pay so I said, fine, then put it in a take away. ...”but we threw it out” she said.

We’ll make me another soup, if I’m paying,  i want it. LOL. They made the soup and I just left it on the table. By by. No tip for you! 

Wonder if they miss my weekly visits? 

Lets see...52 weeks per year X 5 years...

Do they care?

2 hours ago, socrates said:

Funny you mention this.

i was in  My Way about a week ago I have been a very regular customer for many years also.

I ordered the 180g pepper steak medium rare the steak came out pretty much well done but this was not the major issue the steak was tough as old boots could hardly cut with the knife.

i complained to the waitress who apologised and advised the kitchen was a man down so the chef was very busy and she would get another steak cooked for me .

The replacement steak was served after a good 30 minutes and was cooked perfectly..

i asked for the bill and was charged for 2 steaks I queried this and was advised I ordered 2 steaks I told her 1 was a replacement all of a sudden her English skills had totally disappeared so I told her in Thai the issue then could not understand my Thai. 

I eventually  gave up and paid the extra 325 Baht no point arguing over £7/8 proper piss take.

I will not be back.

Wow. That's pretty shocking.

Honestly if that happened to me (similar things have at other places) I would have insisted on not paying for two dishes. I find if you hold your ground they eventually Cave, even in Pattaya. But then you have to decide whether to return and risk eating their body fluids. Usually not. 

BTW, the one time I got their steak I ordered it medium actually wanting medium rare but thinking if I ordered it medium rare it would be served very rare which I hate. It came medium rare as I liked, so lucked out there.

I recently read an article about a trend in the restaurant industry to cook down from the request because you can fix an undercooked steak but you can't fix an overcooked one. I don't think My Way is really following such trends but it was interesting.

7 hours ago, socrates said:

The management will not change very fast there.

It’s run by a former sailor from Rotterdam and his not so young Thai wife.

The owner is often sat outside, smoking.

You should’ve complained to him.

Archived