IGNORED

Play Laem Chabang under flood light ?

mark-19

Folks,

I just saw that Thai-ger Line offers for this Saturday to play Laem Chabang at night.

From what I understand you tee off at 4 pm and play the front nine in daylight and continue with the back nine with course being lit up by flood light.

Now, long time I did skiing under flood light --only on a small slope though -- still a very memorable experience. So now I am wondering whether:

Has any one has done before ? here ? or elsewhere?

what is it like?

is it one of those things in golf you want have done at least once in your life?

Thx

A long time ago I used to play a course in the PI (St Helena?) where we invariably came in on the last 2/3 holes or so in the dark - they had floodlights on the last 4 from memory.

I used to hate it. Unless you were very straight it was a pain finding the ball and putting under floodlights was worse then the shadows you get with the sun some times.

Laem Chabang  is a great course but it is expensive enough, and tough enough, that I would not want any more handicaps even if their floodlighting is very good.

Up to you as they say :GoldenSmile1:

Edit - absolutely no comparison to skiing !

I'm pretty sure they would use special balls and markers on the course.

These would cost extra for the round I'm sure.

That what I thought as well, some kind of special balls required- but I told "no, it lit up light a football arena, so no special anything needed".

No Special Balls but Very Expensive to play..Powerful Lights so your game looks as if in the Daytime..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

thanks, Lok Jit.

Thai-ger Line is quoting 4100 Baht, which is their normal price for Laem Chabang on the weekend.

So, yes, expensive - but no extra cost for the floodlight option.

Just wondering- if it looks like daylight, then probably not such a "special" experience to play at night, other than the fact that it may be a bit cooler? 

at 4100 baht,its daylight robbery,if you pardon the pun,add transport,caddy fee and tip,the odd drink,about 135€,is expensive golf.i know laem chabang is class,but not value.imho

Jack Nickalus Designed course the only one around here and they stay busy most of the time even at these rates....Stay in the Fairway and hard to tell it is Dark..Those lights must have cost a Mint as well as the Power to use them

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

the 4100 Baht includes transport, green fee and caddy fee.

I think i'll do it - just for the heck of it

I played night golf elsewhere and did not really like it for a few reasons.  First, if your ball goes off the fairway it can be hard to find as most lighting is on the fairway and close rough areas.  Elsewhere there is not much light so easy to lose.  Second is the shadows on the ball.  Light should be concentrated on the greens and you can have shadows in 4 or more directions from which lighting originates.  Different for sure and can be off putting.  Last is there are usually more insects and bugs around at night so bring spray.  Probably worth doing once for the experience but not sure if many are repeat players unless they are daytime workers and this gives them another opportunity to play. 

If you try it please post your experience for Laem Chabang. 

Common sense is not very common.

Hi Hawkeye,

yep- I try it today and I am looking forward to it. With a depoarture of 3 pm, one good thing is, I good a good and long sleep before (which with morning departures often is not the case).

I already had figured to bring mosquito protection.

thanks for hints re light/shadows: I will just take easy then and (will try) to play conservatively to be in the fairway.

And yes, I will report.

Hi Hawkeye,

yep- I try it today and I am looking forward to it. With a depoarture of 3 pm, one good thing is, I good a good and long sleep before (which with morning departures often is not the case).

I already had figured to bring mosquito protection.

thanks for hints re light/shadows: I will just take easy then and (will try) to play conservatively to be in the fairway.

And yes, I will report.

So how was it?

So how was it?

Overall, i am glad i did it - and i will try to post some pics once i figured out how that works from my iPhone. .

We tee-ed off around 4:15pm. It had rained heavily in the morning, so it was wet and damp. The course is really in fantastic condition, i can see and do value the extra cost to play there. The fees actually include a mandatory cart. Usually i walk but this course has some lenghty transtions, so it makes sense.

The front nine were a bit slow so at the 9th hole it was almost dark, the flight behind actually had to abandon their balls after hitting from the tee - it was simply too dark to find them. To play in the evening had the advantage, that it cooled down a little bit, this and driving fast in the cart helped to deal with very high humidity in the air and the absence of any wind.

Then we headed into the action under the flood light. It feels very different and exciting. E.g. in the transitions between some of the holes it is actually pitch dark, whereas tees, fairways and greens are well lit! Luckily in our flight we managed to stay on or near the Fairways, so we progressed quite well. The flight behind lost a few more balls as off the fairways it is somewhat dark. Even if you find the ball there, it is harder to hit it, as you you see less good.

So we were good in hitting fairways, but i was not good to avoid the Bunkers. And these bunker are Jack Nichlas' size and depth. Not only that, i had extremely challenging lies, near the fringes, or buried in, or in front of big lips. As i was out there to enjoy myself, i took those bunker challenges (and 3 of them were the hardest i have ever encountered) just as that - interesting challenges. same goes for the greens - a lot of variations, some very ondulated, some very subtle, but all quite hard. And i guess at night even harder to read them. My caddie was a great help there, but i was sh*t in executing what she advised.

All ended on the terace of the club house overlooking the flood-lit course with some live music ...with everybody being happy- a great way to round off a enjoyable and challenging round of golf at Laem Chabang.

Well done mark.....funnily enough, me and my mates play LC every year (twice) and one of my mates says EVERY time "we should play here at night"....then I remind him of Soi 6 (...and Sois 1,2,3,4,5) and then we say "nah, fuck that"

But interesting to read your report.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Well done mark.....funnily enough, me and my mates play LC every year (twice) and one of my mates says EVERY time "we should play here at night"....then I remind him of Soi 6 (...and Sois 1,2,3,4,5) and then we say "nah, fuck that"

But interesting to read your report.

We were back around 22:30, at bit late for Soi 6 , but perfect for Soi LK Metro !

And u could do a sexy massage before departure.

• 2 months later...

me - trying to insert a foto for the first time

IMG_0452.jpg

ah - the foto upload worked  :GoldenSmile1:

the foto gives you an idea how bright its on fairway and tee-off ... and how dark it is outside these areas.

here is 1 more- I made the guy a bit invisible as I am not sure whether he would be comfortable to be shown on PA

IMG_0469.jpg

Brilliant photo's thanks , 

I hope one day to play Laem Chabang but my game doesn't warrant it at the moment .

Will stick to Eastern Star , Bangpra etc. for the moment .

Mikeyboy

Brilliant photo's thanks , 

I hope one day to play Laem Chabang but my game doesn't warrant it at the moment .

Will stick to Eastern Star , Bangpra etc. for the moment .

Mikeyboy

If you can play well at those two courses then no reason why you would struggle at LC - apart from the cost. If anything I would imagine the condition of LC would be much better than either of those two which can get very bare, very quickly especially in the current very dry conditions. 

• 6 months later...

Has anyone ever stayed over night in the LC hotel?

Must be very quiet- so any good to get a rest from Patty?

• 2 months later...

what a great idea looks like a lot of fun what days do they do this?

RT 

what a great idea looks like a lot of fun what days do they do this?

Everytime we return from any of neaby golf courses in late afternoon, passing LC i saw the floodlights- so,i assume this is on every evening.

Archived