IGNORED

General Phuket Hotel Question

Little Evil

Hi Y'all. I've been going to BKK and Pattaya for years now, but I've never ventured to Phuket. I noticed that Phuket seems to offer a variety of hotels. I was originally looking for something funky or a new experience type of hotel. The Naka immediately caught my eye.......that was until I saw the price tag. Insane! Nearly 6x the price of my last Pattaya hotel per night, and that's the cheapest room at the Naka!

Considering this is a first time in Phuket, and possibly a one-off trip, I wouldn't mind splurging a little bit. However, The Naka is well outside of my comfort zone. Anyone have any suggestions for something maybe slightly nicer than your typically Page 10 type hotel, but not in the insane $350/night range?  Ideally within a 10 minute taxi to/from Patong beach. 

You and I might have a different idea of what qualifies as not insane, meaning I'm not sure how low you want to go, but the nicest hotel I've stayed at in Phuket was the C&N hotel which is a few minutes walk from Bangla Road. I think it was roughly $60 usd per night.

Pattaya is like enjoying yourself -it's not for everyone.

You and I might have a different idea of what qualifies as not insane, meaning I'm not sure how low you want to go, but the nicest hotel I've stayed at in Phuket was the C&N hotel which is a few minutes walk from Bangla Road. I think it was roughly $60 usd per night.

I should've said that I've never stayed in Page 10 so I've no idea how good it is or how much it cost. Maybe the C&N is too down market with its 3 stars (scores 4 and a half on trip advisor)

I should've said that I've never stayed in page 10 so I've no idea how good it is or how much it cost. Maybe the C&N is too down market with its 3 stars (scores 4 and a half on trip advisor)

Thanks for the suggestion. Page 10 is probably about the same as C&N. Around $50-65/night USD, depending on season. I used it as a baseline example, as it is a fairly popular hotel that is also clean, comfortable, and reasonable.

Wouldn't mind splurging a bit more for this one time trip, but by "crazy" I meant the over $300/night rates that I see for some "resort" places around Phuket. Maybe in the $100/night range for a splurge. 

Ah ok, well enjoy the trip & the only other thing I'd say is to check that your hotel is guest friendly. I believe some have slightly different rules than Pattaya, ie they're not all 100% cool with guests.

Maybe someone else on here can confirm or dismiss this?

Ah ok, well enjoy the trip & the only other thing I'd say is to check that your hotel is guest friendly. I believe some have slightly different rules than Pattaya, ie they're not all 100% cool with guests.

Maybe someone else on here can confirm or dismiss this?

IME, most higher end places in Phuket are not guest-friendly, and those that are limit it to one guest per day.

When I'm in Patong, I like The Senses (definitely not guest-friendly), The Lantern (will sometimes waive joiner fees during low season), and The Kee (usually charges joiner fees, although reports vary). Then again, I'm with the TGF now, so I get her to check in w/ me and there isn't a problem; if your plan is LLT, switching to a higher-end hotel after the first couple of days may be an option for you.

Salathai is supposed to be good for a GF hotel, although there was never a room available on my trips before I met the TGF.

Rates for 4-star hotels in Patong on Trivago seem to run between $70-150 CDN IME.

ETA: I would definitely try and find a place w/in walking distance; the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket has an iron grip - 200 Baht minimum w/in Patong (and they're trying on 300 for longer trips) - and it only gets worse once you're outside Patong. It was 700 baht from Surin Beach to Patong three years ago, and I can't imagine thing have improved.

IME, most higher end places in Phuket are not guest-friendly, and those that are limit it to one guest per day.

When I'm in Patong, I like The Senses (definitely not guest-friendly), The Lantern (will sometimes waive joiner fees during low season), and The Kee (usually charges joiner fees, although reports vary). Then again, I'm with the TGF now, so I get her to check in w/ me and there isn't a problem; if your plan is LLT, switching to a higher-end hotel after the first couple of days may be an option for you.

Salathai is supposed to be good for a GF hotel, although there was never a room available on my trips before I met the TGF.

Rates for 4-star hotels in Patong on Trivago seem to run between $70-150 CDN IME.

ETA: I would definitely try and find a place w/in walking distance; the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket has an iron grip - 200 Baht minimum w/in Patong (and they're trying on 300 for longer trips) - and it only gets worse once you're outside Patong. It was 700 baht from Surin Beach to Patong three years ago, and I can't imagine thing have improved.

Good tips.  Thanks!  I bringing my TGF, but much appreciated on the GF advise.  I'll have to check these out.  Saw a picture of one that had a nice pool bar.

I guess I was wondering if it would be worth it to splurge on one of those bungalow style hotels that have their own mini pool outside the room, similar to Naka, but not anything that expensive.  

I like Sawaddi Patong hotel. Reasonable prices($60-90/day), sweet outdoor pool, 5 minute motorbike taxi ride to Bangla Road or the beach and guest friendly. Just book the room for 2 and there won't be a charge for a friend that wants to stay with you at the hotel. Quality buffet breakfast near the pool for just a few dollars. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times over the years and always had a good time there.  

Good tips.  Thanks!  I bringing my TGF, but much appreciated on the GF advise.  I'll have to check these out.  Saw a picture of one that had a nice pool bar.

I guess I was wondering if it would be worth it to splurge on one of those bungalow style hotels that have their own mini pool outside the room, similar to Naka, but not anything that expensive.  

In that case, definitely check out The Kee (if you want to be near Bangla) or The Senses (if you don't). Both have rooms w/ direct pool access (albeit not private pools). You're paying a premium for pool access, but nowhere near $300 USD per night.

R-Mar resort &ISPs, walking distance to both bangla and beach, guest friendly and

About 100-120 $ per night...

R-Mar resort &ISPs, walking distance to both bangla and beach, guest friendly and

About 100-120 $ per night...

R-Mar resort & spa

R-Mar resort & spa

Wasn't terribly impressed with R-Mar; it's fine, pleasant staff, etc. But it's a bit out of the way, and there are better options out there if GF is not your top priority, as the OP seemed to indicate.

Hey all. Thanks for all the suggestions!  Good stuff to think about--thanks all (hence all the "likes"). 

Anyone have any experiences with La Flora? It looks like a great central location. Definitely more than I'm typically willing to spend (starts at $200 USD), but this is definitely a bit of a splurge trip and only for 4 days in Phuket. Saw some very divided reviews online, so I'm kind of confused about that spot. 

Stayed at thara Patong resort back in 2013 , nice hotel upgraded us upon arrival, nice pools, good morning buffet,nice room but not guest friendly. Was in a bind and had to find a hotel on short notice due to problems at initial hotel were not resolved. Besides the joiner fee I would recommend this resort since it's close to everything as far as nightlife, beach, shopping, restaurants. Cost is about $104 usd night but I'm sure u get get a better deal if you are on the ground checking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. Thanks for all the suggestions!  Good stuff to think about--thanks all (hence all the "likes"). 

Anyone have any experiences with La Flora? It looks like a great central location. Definitely more than I'm typically willing to spend (starts at $200 USD), but this is definitely a bit of a splurge trip and only for 4 days in Phuket. Saw some very divided reviews online, so I'm kind of confused about that spot. 

Did one night at La Flora after screwing up a hotel booking (had to check out of The Kee a day before my flight left). No complaints, great location (on the beach, close to Bangla w/o being noisy), staff was polite to the TGF (which isn't necessarily a given at the better places in Patong). Having said that, I didn't necessarily feel like I was getting anything above your better 4-star places, and the price is considerably higher.

Did one night at La Flora after screwing up a hotel booking (had to check out of The Kee a day before my flight left). No complaints, great location (on the beach, close to Bangla w/o being noisy), staff was polite to the TGF (which isn't necessarily a given at the better places in Patong). Having said that, I didn't necessarily feel like I was getting anything above your better 4-star places, and the price is considerably higher.

The price must be a beach location premium then. The debate now is if that makes it worth the 1.5-2 times higher price than the other hotels listed here. Still, it is much cheaper than the Impiana next door, so La Flora is in my top 3. Leaving the second week of Feb, so I'm going to have to up my hotel picking game here and make a decision soon.

Wasn't terribly impressed with R-Mar; it's fine, pleasant staff, etc. But it's a bit out of the way, and there are better options out there if GF is not your top priority, as the OP seemed to indicate.

Out of the way?

It's 5-7 minutes walk to bangla, 2 minutes walk to restaurants , massage joints laundery etc

and 10 -12 minutes walk to the beach ...

Out of the way?

It's 5-7 minutes walk to bangla, 2 minutes walk to restaurants , massage joints laundery etc

and 10 -12 minutes walk to the beach ...

Eh, I seem to remember it being further away than that; my memory may have been affected by the fact that it was bucketing down for most of that trip.

I have stayed in BYD Loft. It is about 150 USD a night. More like a service apartment than a hotel. It is only about 5 to 10 minutes walk to Patong Beach.

• 1 month later...

I have stayed in La Flora a bunch of times. It is pretty nice and the location is great for the beach and Bangladesh road. It's expensive and it probably isn't really worth the money.....but if you are not too bothered about the cost it's a great option. Staff are friendly.

The Impiana next door is ok, but older and not as clean etc as La Flora......I would definitely choose La Flora over Impiana.

The Kee stayed once briefly and it was fine....not particularly friendly if you want to bring guests to your room.

BYD lofts is a good choice also. It's really nice but a bit further away.

Archived