Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

young Thai man have to stay in Temple as a Monk

I understand that most young 20 year old Thai men, have to spend some time ( months ) living in the temple .

a big party is given at the time of going in , paid for by the parents of the Boy.

can anyone tell me more about this, is it forced or voluntery. or in place of conscription into the Armed Services

all info would be greatly appreciated.

There is no law about becoming a monk. Young men / children might be forced within familiy because this ceremony has big "face" value for parents. Traditionally one would enter monkhood during rain season (July) for 3 months however serving time has been decreasing fast (currently accepted minimum is 1 week). Becoming a monk has nothing to do with military conscription; those who serve in the army usually become monks afterwards.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Many thanks for that niccodemi, I have been looking into this with various results and what you tell me is very useful, it seems that it gives the parents a higher standing in the villages,

when it is preceded by a big party lasting two or three days, thanks again for the reply

I was "captured" in my TGFs village by the mother of a young man becoming a monk. Dragged me onto the back of a pickup and plied me with a beer but she let me off the truck when we went past   the right house. 

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

Voluntary

yes NC , but it does seem that the parents might put some pressure on the lad, what do you think ?

I did initially think that if they went into the monkhood for a few months it might get them off the draft lotttery, but it seems that is not so

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every Thai Buddhist man will ordain at least once as a way to make merit for their Mothers who are obviously unable to Ordain. The party is sadly often used by the family of the man ordaining as a way to show their wealth and status. I have heard of parties lasting 1 week and costing 100's of thousands but most are simple covering the cost of robes and bowel along with a food donation for the Monks at the Temple he will ordain/stay at.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Almost every Thai Buddhist man will ordain at least once as a way to make merit for their Mothers who are obviously unable to Ordain. The party is sadly often used by the family of the man ordaining as a way to show their wealth and status. I have heard of parties lasting 1 week and costing 100's of thousands but most are simple covering the cost of robes and bowel along with a food donation for the Monks at the Temple he will ordain/stay at.

thanks Para, yes it becomes a big 'Face thing' for the family, to the point it seems , that they will even get into debt to do it .

now with the info that I have had from others as well as yourself , it is nothing like what I first thought, it goes a lot deeper , and takes a bit of understanding .

but , you know , when I look around me in the UK these days, I see a similar thing ,

some folks will take on big debt to have a car newer or better than the neigbours, or a house way out of their earnings range , buy their kids the latest gizmo or designer clothes.

its still a face thing really. its all about others thinking you are 'up there' . ha , its a funny thing, ego, and looking good.......thanks for the reply mate

thanks Para, yes it becomes a big 'Face thing' for the family, to the point it seems , that they will even get into debt to do it .

now with the info that I have had from others as well as yourself , it is nothing like what I first thought, it goes a lot deeper , and takes a bit of understanding .

but , you know , when I look around me in the UK these days, I see a similar thing ,

some folks will take on big debt to have a car newer or better than the neigbours, or a house way out of their earnings range , buy their kids the latest gizmo or designer clothes.

its still a face thing really. its all about others thinking you are 'up there' . ha , its a funny thing, ego, and looking good.......thanks for the reply mate

Considering the foundations of Buddhism is to extinguish ego the whole extravagant show not with with Ordaining but also with making merit  through Dana has on occasions saddened me.

Looking in from outside is almost impossible to grasp just how intertwined Thai life and Buddhism are. If you want to PM me feel free I had the pleasure of Ordaining not so long ago.

With metta

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow I'm invited at that monk party. Not only I'm invited, I'm paying for that party (I borrowed to his parents 15k, so they can throw that party).

So after tomorrow I will be able to tell you more.  :GoldenSmile1:

23 24 25 26 27 28 years old farang & living in Pattaya north Thailand. :Finger4:

And I ride Kawasaki KSR only!

Tomorrow I'm invited at that monk party. Not only I'm invited, I'm paying for that party (I borrowed to his parents 15k, so they can throw that party).

So after tomorrow I will be able to tell you more.  :GoldenSmile1:

I will be looking forward to your report, many thanks Lth, although I think 15k is very cheap from what I hear, some of these parties last some days ,

and cost around 40k with all the trimmings that are required plus the food and booze for the whole village and its cousin

Archived