IGNORED

Eitihad V Emirates out of Dublin

curiousguy2015

I fly from Manchester and have used both airlines.  

And they are both very good

In recent years I have been flying with Etihad but I am not a big fan of Abu Dhabi.  If my connecting flight is out of T3 I am OK but I do not like T1 and sometimes the connecting flight is out of T1

This December because of price I am flying with Emirates for the first time in years.  And I am looking forward to seeing Dubai's airport.  Is it as good as I remember.  Also between Dubai and BKK (both ways) I will be flying in a A380 plane.  Ive never flown in an A380 before so I am looking forward to flying with this plane

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The A380 is really nice.

Depends what you want in an airport. Nice and easy getting between A and B gates but like most airports its just a big shopping mall. Could do with a bar at B gates that would be my biggest complaint.

Etihad are moving to Terminal 1 in Dublin from January 24th 2016 and revert to 'permanent' double daily from 1st April.  

If they continue to use the same lounge it will be a bit of a hike back to Terminal 1.

They will be using A330 on both flights, which are better when flying economy!

Etihad are moving to Terminal 1 in Dublin from January 24th 2016 and revert to 'permanent' double daily from 1st April.  

If they continue to use the same lounge it will be a bit of a hike back to Terminal 1.

They will be using A330 on both flights, which are better when flying economy!

Where did you hear that?

Where did you hear that?

Yep confirmed - Etihad will move to terminal 1 Dublin from January.

It has been widely publicised in the last few weeks, as well as the double daily return from April. The lounge will be the same as its located on the corridor to between terminal1 and 2. The same setup as before terminal 2 was built and will still be the closest lounge to the gate. Etihad will use the 300 gates (Pier B the same as Turkish / Lufthansa / Ethiopian)

http://www.travelextra.ie/etihad-moving-t1-dublin-jan-24-dublin-abu-dhabi-returns-a330-double-daily-april-1/

Dublin airport is full especially in the morning. Anyone with semi regular experience flying with  Etihad knows it can take the plane up to an hour to reach the gate after landing due to gate availability. Hopefully things will be better from Terminal 1.

For anyone interested - there are rumors that Qatar will launch a double daily service to Dublin next year. The flights will be AerLingus codeshares. I can only see one service at most myself - six separate flights to the middle east and beyond seem excessive to me from Dublin.

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

My feedback on the Economy travel experience of the airlines serving Asia (not all Thailand) one stop from Dublin. The economy experience is very similar across most airlines that I have used and once all is ontime, the service is friendly and the aircraft are clean I am generally happy. All else being equal (especially price), below is my critical review of each airline.

Emirates - Probably the best all round airline serving Dublin. Food is ok. Great IFE.  No more free seat selection :-(

Etihad - My airline of choice due to flight times (EY Gold). Solid airline. Food is mediocre and getting worse by the day. IFE mediocre. Seat is fine  Excellent airline

Turkish - Another solid airline. I like the quick boarding in Dublin due to smaller aircraft serving Dublin (Boeing 737) but still full service. Food is good. Good IFE. Least said about Istanbul the better - not a nice airport to transit through and also the recent troubles.

KLM - Are fine . Food is poor. IFE is OK. Aircraft are OK. Not the easiest transit in Amsterdam but hopefully this will improve as KLM are now serving Dublin with their own aircraft (no more Aerlingus codeshares)  . I can update next month about the new KLM to KLM connection if people are interested as this will be by first experience of this.

BA - Just don't do it unless ridiculously cheap. Old aircraft. Always delays to/from Heathrow with missed connections. Bad Food. Bad IFE. An airline run by the accountants who miss the bigger picture. They are probably not terrible and will get you there, but my recommendation is to avoid.

Gulf Air (Via LHR) - I really like Gulf(Also Gold Card Holder). Food is excellent. IFE is ok. All flights ontime (...well except the Aerlingus legs to/from LHR=> I only had to spend most of the day in Heathrow back in March due to delays...could be worse most other AL fligths that day were canceled!)

Malaysian (Via LHR) - I also really apart from the LHR bit. Food is excellent. IFE is excellent. Service is excellent. The big plane (Airbus 380) is excellent. Unfortunately the two stops in London and Kuala Lumpur make the flight a hard sell to Bangkok.

...I really travel too much :-) ...All of the above is in the last 12months except BA and Malaysian (Bangkok / Singapore / Hong Kong / Japan).

Etihad have the best business class product...but the service to / from Dublin is always poor (or maybe they just don't like me!). I've had much better experience to / from Bangkok. Gulf Air then Emirates third. I have not flown the others in business.

Also I need highlight the decline of the Etihad Guest frequent flyer program. Its big time decline with the new announcements last week bring EY in line with Emireates.

- No more lounge access for sliver card holders (from 2017)

- No more self upgrades (via Miles) for the cheapest economy fares

- Further "additional" baggage allowance reduction.

Essentially there are no benefits worth mentioning for Silver card holders other that free luggage tags.

Sounds to me like you can disregard all other answers here and base your decision on this. Someone who know what he is talking about.

Sounds to me like you can disregard all other answers here and base your decision on this. Someone who know what he is talking about.

Not really - there are obvious omissions for others to review :-)

Air France...are probably on strike

Finnair...my boss regularly flys Business via Helsinki and rekons they are solid (a reason for me to take any other route available!)

Thai Airways...every year I say this is on my "to do" list - but I just can't convince myself to do the Heathrow connection for the premium price they charge

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

Depends on your criteria for selecting an airline is. Both are very similar.

Overall i would choose Emirates if flying economy. IFE is much better. their aircraft also have free wifi. Food / drink is marginally better.

Having said all that i fly Etihad because historically EY had much better flight times (one of their double dailys has recently been canceled). I liked the evening flight landing in Bangkok at 6pm. Also the morning arrival time into Dublin was awesome.

Both are good airlines so you cant go wrong.

Thanks for the advise, well noted.

:Wassup1:  :NiceThread1:

I'd go with Etihad based on slightly better reward programme

So you have used both airlines out of Dublin Ireland then or you talking about London & rewards programs ?????

Just arrived Pattaya two hours ago. Flew with Etihad 3rd time in 12 months fantastic flight great air crew in economy. The bonus after two return flights from GB to Thailand is you get Silver status. This means fill you boots time for free in the Abu Dhabi lounges and I certainly did. Four hours between flights, great way to spend. Tea, coffee, alcohol, croissents, buns, biscuits, hot meals,plentiful fruit, and veg, sandwiches,selection of cheeses, fruit juices and much more. Showers, good free wifi and a very relaxing lounge. This airline are impressing me more and more, despite crappy music, sport and comedy on their entertainment boxes.

Just arrived Pattaya two hours ago. Flew with Etihad 3rd time in 12 months fantastic flight great air crew in economy. The bonus after two return flights from GB to Thailand is you get Silver status. This means fill you boots time for free in the Abu Dhabi lounges and I certainly did. Four hours between flights, great way to spend. Tea, coffee, alcohol, croissents, buns, biscuits, hot meals,plentiful fruit, and veg, sandwiches,selection of cheeses, fruit juices and much more. Showers, good free wifi and a very relaxing lounge. This airline are impressing me more and more, despite crappy music, sport and comedy on their entertainment boxes.

Keep us posted the stop over sounds good.

Do they have free WIFI on board or do you pay if so how much ???

Thanks.

Jack.

I am looking to fly with emirates through to Dubai and then onto bangkok. The stopover in Dubai is 1 hour 20mins. Is that enough to get on the next plane to bkk?

I am looking to fly with emirates through to Dubai and then onto bangkok. The stopover in Dubai is 1 hour 20mins. Is that enough to get on the next plane to bkk?

Yes should be ok,dont dilly dally about and you`ll have time to spare.

Yes should be ok,dont dilly dally about and you`ll have time to spare.

Totally agree good advice.

:Wassup1:

I did the RTN BKK - DUB some 2 mths ago with BA. The selling point was it was a really good value ticket well below the rest. Major inconvienence is the transfers at Heathrow, a real pain so has to be very good value to make it worthwhile.

When flying Emirates A380 economy try flights EK 376 /377 between Dubai-Bangkok which are the 2 class high density aircraft.

The aircraft offer Economy seats on the upper deck (in front of business class)

Config is 2-4-2 and some people are saying this is like 'premium economy'  Cost to book in advance will be £20 per sector per booking.

Also Emirates operate  2 class A380 ex Manchester on flights EK19/20

When flying Emirates A380 economy try flights EK 376 /377 between Dubai-Bangkok which are the 2 class high density aircraft.

The aircraft offer Economy seats on the upper deck (in front of business class)

Config is 2-4-2 and some people are saying this is like 'premium economy'  Cost to book in advance will be £20 per sector per booking.

Also Emirates operate  2 class A380 ex Manchester on flights EK19/20

Yes well pointed out & thanks for you info.

:Wassup1:  :NiceThread1:

• 4 weeks later...

Can never seem to get good deals from both etihad and emirates out of Dublin airport they are always a lot higher in price than any of the UK airports.

I booked a return with emirates for February for a month out of Birmingham for £361, the prices from Dublin were nowhere near that, I'll just get a cheap Ryanair return and its a very cheap flight.

Qatar Airways has confirmed plans to begin flying from Dublin to Doha but has yet to say when the service will begin.

The Gulf airline’s chief executive, Akbar Al Baker, had recently said that it hoped to begin flying the route in May, depending on aircraft availability.

Today, have booked my 3rd Etihad return flights from London Heathrow for travel within a period of 6 months.

Their prices are always the cheapest for me and i don't mind the stop-overs one bit.

I booked my lastest flights today for next March at only £340 from London Heathrow, in March i am on EY406

arriving at Bangkok at 08.55, and in May i am on EY402 arriving Bangkok at 07.10am and this flight cost me 

just £355 unbelievable prices and such a good airline.

And today i booked my accommodation through Agodo but what i did not know was i could get Etihad Guest

Miles with them to further help me to accumulate my Etihad mileage another great bonus from an excellent 

airline.   

Etihad > Emirates for me. One reason is Etihad is generally less full for flights I've been on.

£340 and £355 is unbelievably good especially with the GBP being so low at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Emirates have a sale on now until the 23rd and i got flights to Bangkok from Dublin in March for only €550 i think its the cheapest i ever got flights,also Etihad have flights for the same price but there departing and arrival times dont suit me...

Both excellent! It does not matter too much, i'd go with the cheapest but if the same price I'd go with Emirates merely because of the brand! Or which ever was an A380 plane.

Didn't realise there was a sale on, just booked with Emirates for March and wasn't any cheaper than normal.

Didn't realise there was a sale on, just booked with Emirates for March and wasn't any cheaper than normal.

Just check booked for March last year when it was not on sale it was about the same for cheapest but the flights I wanted time wise were about 20% dearer.

Archived