Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Eitihad V Emirates out of Dublin

curiousguy2015

Both seem like good airlines , both take more or less the same time to get to Thailand. Is it a case of flip a coin or is one much better than the other?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done both out of Dublin, imo no real difference. I'd just go with the cheapest.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on your criteria for selecting an airline is. Both are very similar.

Overall i would choose Emirates if flying economy. IFE is much better. their aircraft also have free wifi. Food / drink is marginally better.

Having said all that i fly Etihad because historically EY had much better flight times (one of their double dailys has recently been canceled). I liked the evening flight landing in Bangkok at 6pm. Also the morning arrival time into Dublin was awesome.

Both are good airlines so you cant go wrong.

Depends on your criteria for selecting an airline is. Both are very similar.

Overall i would choose Emirates if flying economy. IFE is much better. their aircraft also have free wifi. Food / drink is marginally better.

Having said all that i fly Etihad because historically EY had much better flight times (one of their double dailys has recently been canceled). I liked the evening flight landing in Bangkok at 6pm. Also the morning arrival time into Dublin was awesome.

Both are good airlines so you cant go wrong.

ha , does that explain why the flight i usually take at 9am ish is full this time ? is there no second flight ?

and does it explain why the flights are soo expensive this year ................... i paid 925 with emirates instead of the usual 580/630euro with etihad ?? march flights !!

bastards !

i didnt think it was possible to get flights 2 hrs shorter ................................... shorter than ?

i have done both.,and no complaints.i use ethiad now because i like the times. I get into bkk at seven in the morning so i have a rest and am ready for the first night.The flight out goes at about 8pm and gets into dublin early morning so fresh for next day if working

I'd go with Etihad based on slightly better reward programme

Done Etihad Economy again 2nd time in 3 months arrived Bangkok last tuesday. Excellent flights, some great air crew. Good food, lots to drink, entertainment especially the music so so. But IMO Etihad have the edge over Emirates.

Emirates are better in my opinion. I've flown from Dublin to Bkk on 11 different airlines in total, EMIRATES is the best, plus the A380 is such a smooth flight, the in flight entertainment is the best out there and if your flying for 13 hours its the way to go, bigger screens too. this trip I'm flying FINNAIR because it was going for €600, I'd like to try them out, but I would pay extra to fly EMIRATES because its my favourite airline.

BA flight is quicker as it is direct from LHR but the inflight entertainment on these flights is crap the screens are old and small imo

Pattayarox

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest, or consider arrival times. Arriving late at swampy sucks.

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Cheapest, or consider arrival times. Arriving late at swampy sucks.

Etihad have only the one flight now out of Dublin at 09.30, arrives BKK at 07.10. 

Coming home leaves in the evening, 20.35, back into Dublin 08.00.

Pretty good times, for me anyway.

Emirates hands down for me. But I fly from Germany. From there they operate the flights together with Airberlin, which is definately worse. Also Abu Dhabi airport is IMO a shitty place with a greater chance of delays.

Once Ive been waiting at the gate for hours. The passengers for the next flight were already queuing up. Only thing staff could answer was: We dont know where the aircraft is. No mention on the boards either. I was like how can you loose an aircraft. Not to mention other delays Ive encountered there.

I don't know now, last time in Nov 2014, I traveled with Etihad. The airlines is fine, but Abu Dhabi transit airport, I don't like it, very crowded, too small to accomodate the passengers. I heard there was renovation, so maybe now better.

• 8 months later...

Flown all the ME airlines and been a member of their various FF programmes with Emirates being the stingiest.

In saying that I'm a gold member and enjoy the use of the lounges, Emirates also have the edge on the food and in-flight entertainment. After a pleasant drive up from Kerry it's nice to have a pint and relax before your holiday.  :WinkGrin1:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

whoever is the cheapest, i got a great price on KLM  from dublin recently and they were fine also. 

My feedback on the Economy travel experience of the airlines serving Asia (not all Thailand) one stop from Dublin. The economy experience is very similar across most airlines that I have used and once all is ontime, the service is friendly and the aircraft are clean I am generally happy. All else being equal (especially price), below is my critical review of each airline.

Emirates - Probably the best all round airline serving Dublin. Food is ok. Great IFE.  No more free seat selection :-(

Etihad - My airline of choice due to flight times (EY Gold). Solid airline. Food is mediocre and getting worse by the day. IFE mediocre. Seat is fine  Excellent airline

Turkish - Another solid airline. I like the quick boarding in Dublin due to smaller aircraft serving Dublin (Boeing 737) but still full service. Food is good. Good IFE. Least said about Istanbul the better - not a nice airport to transit through and also the recent troubles.

KLM - Are fine . Food is poor. IFE is OK. Aircraft are OK. Not the easiest transit in Amsterdam but hopefully this will improve as KLM are now serving Dublin with their own aircraft (no more Aerlingus codeshares)  . I can update next month about the new KLM to KLM connection if people are interested as this will be by first experience of this.

BA - Just don't do it unless ridiculously cheap. Old aircraft. Always delays to/from Heathrow with missed connections. Bad Food. Bad IFE. An airline run by the accountants who miss the bigger picture. They are probably not terrible and will get you there, but my recommendation is to avoid.

Gulf Air (Via LHR) - I really like Gulf(Also Gold Card Holder). Food is excellent. IFE is ok. All flights ontime (...well except the Aerlingus legs to/from LHR=> I only had to spend most of the day in Heathrow back in March due to delays...could be worse most other AL fligths that day were canceled!)

Malaysian (Via LHR) - I also really apart from the LHR bit. Food is excellent. IFE is excellent. Service is excellent. The big plane (Airbus 380) is excellent. Unfortunately the two stops in London and Kuala Lumpur make the flight a hard sell to Bangkok.

...I really travel too much :-) ...All of the above is in the last 12months except BA and Malaysian (Bangkok / Singapore / Hong Kong / Japan).

Etihad have the best business class product...but the service to / from Dublin is always poor (or maybe they just don't like me!). I've had much better experience to / from Bangkok. Gulf Air then Emirates third. I have not flown the others in business.

Also I need highlight the decline of the Etihad Guest frequent flyer program. Its big time decline with the new announcements last week bring EY in line with Emireates.

- No more lounge access for sliver card holders (from 2017)

- No more self upgrades (via Miles) for the cheapest economy fares

- Further "additional" baggage allowance reduction.

Essentially there are no benefits worth mentioning for Silver card holders other that free luggage tags.

I'm here for a fun time not a long time!  

I've flown Emirates, Eitihad, BA and KLM from Dublin to Bangkok over the past 4 years. Most of the time I've been fortunate to fly business class.

I won't fly BA anymore due to constant hold ups and I find LHR a pain the ass to transit through. They are consistently the most expensive option as well.

Emirates and Eitihad were comparable but I tended to use Emirates because their flight times and options suited me better. Pricing tends to be similar. I loved the A380 from Dubai.

I have recently started using KLM as I prefer a short haul flight followed by one long haul flight if I can fly business. KLM have good pricing if you are flexible on dates and they have introduced upgraded seats and layout on their 777s from AMS to BKK. They also have a new DUB to AMS service with business class coming on stream which I will be using for my next trip in December. Transfer in AMS is smooth with no security screening on the way out unlike in Dubai and LHR.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

My feedback on the Economy travel experience of the airlines serving Asia (not all Thailand) one stop from Dublin. The economy experience is very similar across most airlines that I have used and once all is ontime, the service is friendly and the aircraft are clean I am generally happy. All else being equal (especially price), below is my critical review of each airline.

Emirates - Probably the best all round airline serving Dublin. Food is ok. Great IFE.  No more free seat selection :-(

Etihad - My airline of choice due to flight times (EY Gold). Solid airline. Food is mediocre and getting worse by the day. IFE mediocre. Seat is fine  Excellent airline

Turkish - Another solid airline. I like the quick boarding in Dublin due to smaller aircraft serving Dublin (Boeing 737) but still full service. Food is good. Good IFE. Least said about Istanbul the better - not a nice airport to transit through and also the recent troubles.

KLM - Are fine . Food is poor. IFE is OK. Aircraft are OK. Not the easiest transit in Amsterdam but hopefully this will improve as KLM are now serving Dublin with their own aircraft (no more Aerlingus codeshares)  . I can update next month about the new KLM to KLM connection if people are interested as this will be by first experience of this.

BA - Just don't do it unless ridiculously cheap. Old aircraft. Always delays to/from Heathrow with missed connections. Bad Food. Bad IFE. An airline run by the accountants who miss the bigger picture. They are probably not terrible and will get you there, but my recommendation is to avoid.

Gulf Air (Via LHR) - I really like Gulf(Also Gold Card Holder). Food is excellent. IFE is ok. All flights ontime (...well except the Aerlingus legs to/from LHR=> I only had to spend most of the day in Heathrow back in March due to delays...could be worse most other AL fligths that day were canceled!)

Malaysian (Via LHR) - I also really apart from the LHR bit. Food is excellent. IFE is excellent. Service is excellent. The big plane (Airbus 380) is excellent. Unfortunately the two stops in London and Kuala Lumpur make the flight a hard sell to Bangkok.

...I really travel too much :-) ...All of the above is in the last 12months except BA and Malaysian (Bangkok / Singapore / Hong Kong / Japan).

Etihad have the best business class product...but the service to / from Dublin is always poor (or maybe they just don't like me!). I've had much better experience to / from Bangkok. Gulf Air then Emirates third. I have not flown the others in business.

Also I need highlight the decline of the Etihad Guest frequent flyer program. Its big time decline with the new announcements last week bring EY in line with Emireates.

- No more lounge access for sliver card holders (from 2017)

- No more self upgrades (via Miles) for the cheapest economy fares

- Further "additional" baggage allowance reduction.

Essentially there are no benefits worth mentioning for Silver card holders other that free luggage tags.

thanks for the info, i have booked K L M  for my next trip, next year,let us know how you get on, particularly when you transit through amsterdam.

Not flown from Dublin, but much prefer Abu Dhabi to Dubai for any length of time waiting.

Archived