IGNORED

Retiring to Thailand in 2 months, help me out, oh knowledgeable members.

dilloss

Will be moving out to Patts in March after taking early retirement.

I'm 53 and married to a thai, we married in the UK.

What visa will I need?

Can I get it from the UK?

Do I need a thai address to get a long stay visa?

Do I only need £8000 in thai bank account because of thai wife? ( I'll have the £16000 in April but could deposit £8000 in march).

Can I get a visa before I go and then upgrade when I'm there?

Is there anything I've forgotten to ask?

Thanks for any info

Try to get an O visa before you come to save converting a Tourist Visa.

From the O Visa you apply for a One Year Extension. at Jomtien.

Retirement is easier than Marriage Extension but yes the money in bank is 800k instead of 400k.

IMO much better to be on a retirement visa than a married visa. I'm not married at present time but was in the past and I disliked having my visa tied up with my wife and I disliked the disrespectful way immigration treated her (this was not at Jomtien). Put the 800K into a Thai bank and go the retirement route. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

What visa will I need?

Do I only need £8000 in thai bank account because of thai wife? ( I'll have the £16000 in April but could deposit £8000 in march).

Thanks for any info

There is something you've forgotten to tell ... Which is, why you left it so late to cover the fundamentals.

There is nothing like being prepared and this is nothing like it. You really need to do some research yourself post haste, have you looked at the Thai embassy website which explains much of this?

For such an important matter you should be seeking answers to these questions from official sources rather than relying on a mish-mash of forum responses.

Some how I envisage panic-stations.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

What visa will I need?

Thanks for any info

Congrats.

Got any hot pics of the wife?

Get yourself a non imigrant O 12 month visa based on marriage .  Apply at the london embassy  . You don't need to take your wife along and you don't need to show money in bank . [ in my experience anyway ]  you just need her thai id card and your marriage licence .

If you think to be travelling when in Thai get a multiple entry visa . Cost  £ 125 .  You will still have to do visa runs every 90 days but that's no problem .  

The retirement visa is much more complicated IMO with doctors cert. needed , bank details  , police check  

Apply in person one day , collect passport with visa following day . So stay one night in london .

good luck ,  and happy days ahead  , kiss goodbye to uk weather 

Why not just delay your leaving to Thailand with a month , so I think that the 800 000 bhat then is full is available and fits with the 2 months seasoning period ....(have you a Thai bank already ..? :Think1: .

So you can take the easy ( and independent from....Y ..) retirement route ..which can also be good for future grandfathering rule if Thai immigration changes the financial needs ..

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Get yourself a non imigrant O 12 month visa based on marriage .  Apply at the london embassy  . You don't need to take your wife along and you don't need to show money in bank . [ in my experience anyway ]  you just need her thai id card and your marriage licence .

If you think to be travelling when in Thai get a multiple entry visa . Cost  £ 125 .  You will still have to do visa runs every 90 days but that's no problem .  

The retirement visa is much more complicated IMO with doctors cert. needed , bank details  , police check  

Apply in person one day , collect passport with visa following day . So stay one night in london .

good luck ,  and happy days ahead  , kiss goodbye to uk weather 

Did you mean to write "You will still have to do the 90 day address report"?  There is no need to do visa runs on a Non-O visa.

As others have said, obtaining a retirement visa - and subsequent in-country annual extensions - is the way to go. 

I used the Thai consulate in Hull and, even without mentioning Big Reg's name, was in and out in less than a day.  Suggest you check out the consulate website for procedures and documentary requirements.

There is something you've forgotten to tell ... Which is, why you left it so late to cover the fundamentals.

There is nothing like being prepared and this is nothing like it. You really need to do some research yourself post haste, have you looked at the Thai embassy website which explains much of this?

For such an important matter you should be seeking answers to these questions from official sources rather than relying on a mish-mash of forum responses.

He's not coming until March and if he comes in on an O Visa or even if the comes in on a 60 day or ME Tourist Visa and converts to a 90 day O Visa he has loads of time.

If he was planning to apply for a Retirement Visa in UK then yes it's tight (6-8 weeks for CRC) but nobody here is suggesting that.

Research would be good of course and a chat with Hull as suggested  plus there's lots of good information on Thaivisa if you can wade through the 'mish mash' of answers there also.   :WinkGrin1:

At Thaivisa best to skip to the answers given by the Mods, who do know what they're talking about.

Did you mean to write "You will still have to do the 90 day address report"?  There is no need to do visa runs on a Non-O visa.

No I meant leave the country .  I have recently had to go to Laos and back in . I only got 90 days in bkk and then 90 days again at Nong Khai   .

On a 12 month retirement visa you can report but not on the non- im  O visa  .    This is what happened to me the last 2 years  . 

There's category O   and there's category  O -A      different visas

I came in on a non-imm O visa I applied for and received outside of Thailand. I have done four in-country 12 month retirement extensions. I use an Embassy income letter, and never have more than 100,000 baht in a Thai Bank. And so far, I have never left the country on a 'visa run'. My 90 reporting is a 15 minute diversion on my way to coffee.

I recommend doing the same. Get a non-imm O visa in the UK. Do the less complicated retirement extensions after you get here.

I am here right now from the USA on a 60 day tourist visa. I am now here on day 11 of my 30 day extension.

To get my "retirement visa" I understand I have to get a Non-Im O-A visa and THEN get a "retirement visa" endorsement/addtion ??? 

I have to get a notarized letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok for my monthly income. That has to be done in person and I am scheduling that as we "speak".

Question is, once I have that letter can I then get the Non-Im O-A AND the retirement visa (endorsement) at the same time, right there in Bangkok ?

Or do I have to convert the tourist visa to an O-A first and THEN go to Bangkok Immigration (again ?) or return to Patts and go to Jomtien to "add"/file for the retirement "endorsement" (for lack of a better term) ?

TIA

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

I am here right now from the USA on a 60 day tourist visa. I am now here on day 11 of my 30 day extension.

To get my "retirement visa" I understand I have to get a Non-Im O-A visa and THEN get a "retirement visa" endorsement/addtion ??? 

I have to get a notarized letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok for my monthly income. That has to be done in person and I am scheduling that as we "speak".

Question is, once I have that letter can I then get the Non-Im O-A AND the retirement visa (endorsement) at the same time, right there in Bangkok ?

Or do I have to convert the tourist visa to an O-A first and THEN go to Bangkok Immigration (again ?) or return to Patts and go to Jomtien to "add"/file for the retirement "endorsement" (for lack of a better term) ?

TIA

The correct term is 'Extension of Stay (Retirement)'

You used to be able to convert TV to O at Jomtien, but due to 'irregular practice' you now have to go to Bangkok for that.

When you get it, I believe it is for 90 days and during that time you can apply for the Extension - don't wait until last minute.

AFAIK you don't need the embassy letter until you apply for the Extension  - not sure how long it's valid for.

Jeezus H Crist - how complicated is all that?? I once tried to read Stephen Hawkins 'A Brief History of Time' I hardly understood a word of it but I understood it better than I now understand visas in Thailand. It's almost as complicated as Thai girls....

The correct term is 'Extension of Stay (Retirement)'

You used to be able to convert TV to O at Jomtien, but due to 'irregular practice' you now have to go to Bangkok for that.

When you get it, I believe it is for 90 days and during that time you can apply for the Extension - don't wait until last minute.

AFAIK you don't need the embassy letter until you apply for the Extension  - not sure how long it's valid for.

Yes, I understand I need that US notarized letter to get the (final step) Extension of Stay (Retirement)

Just to be sure I understand you.

I have to convert TV to O-A at Bangkok Immigration (Jomtien can NOT do it).

The O-A IS a 90 day extension of stay itself ?

And before THAT 90 days is up I have to apply for Extension of Stay (Retirement) ? And THAT I CAN do in Jomtien, correct ?

So right now I am in the first 3rd of my 30 day extension (of TV). As I mentioned, I would LIKE to go to Bangkok, get the US Embassy letter of funds, apply for the O-A AND get the "Extension of Stay (Retirement)" all at once.

Is this possible ? You said once I get the O-A I should NOT wait "until the last minute" for the "Retirement Extension" ? So can I go for the Retirement Extension right away ? i.e. as soon as I get the O-A ?

Sorry if this sounds nit-picky but the LAST thing I want to do is make a mistake and have everything unravel. 

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Yes, I understand I need that US notarized letter to get the (final step) Extension of Stay (Retirement)

Just to be sure I understand you.

I have to convert TV to O-A at Bangkok Immigration (Jomtien can NOT do it).

The O-A IS a 90 day extension of stay itself ?

And before THAT 90 days is up I have to apply for Extension of Stay (Retirement) ? And THAT I CAN do in Jomtien, correct ?

So right now I am in the first 3rd of my 30 day extension (of TV). As I mentioned, I would LIKE to go to Bangkok, get the US Embassy letter of funds, apply for the O-A AND get the "Extension of Stay (Retirement)" all at once.

Is this possible ? You said once I get the O-A I should NOT wait "until the last minute" for the "Retirement Extension" ? So can I go for the Retirement Extension right away ? i.e. as soon as I get the O-A ?

Sorry if this sounds nit-picky but the LAST thing I want to do is make a mistake and have everything unravel. 

The 90 day O Visa is a stand alone proper Visa, not an Extension.

You need that in order to get the 12 month Extension of Stay.

The rest is correct AFAIK.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can get the Extension at Bangkok at the same time.

Logically I think not, because I believe you have to apply at the office where you live, which I'm assuming is Pattaya.

If I'm right about that, apply at Jomtien for the Extension as soon as you get back (they run consecutively so you lose no time) so that your embassy letter doesn't 'expire'.

You cannot apply for the visa more than 3 months before you intend to travel. So now is the earliest I can apply.

I was only given confirmation of early retirement on the 4th of January.

I think the mish mash of replies cover everything I asked, and are much appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies.

My brain hurts..... :Crazy1:  I'm definitely only ever going to Thailand for a holiday

Try to get an O visa before you come to save converting a Tourist Visa.

From the O Visa you apply for a One Year Extension. at Jomtien.

Retirement is easier than Marriage Extension but yes the money in bank is 800k instead of 400k.

Yes get the 3 months Non Immigrant O- visa in UK.

When you get there in March open a Thai bank account (if you dont have one). Deposit about £8000.

In April deposit a further  £8,000. you should then have more than 800,000 Baht in the bank 2 months before you apply for 1 year Extension Retirement Visa.

Straightforward at Jomptien Immigration. Cost 1900Baht.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Yes get the 3 months O- visa in UK.

When you get there in March open a Thai bank account (if you dont have one). Deposit about £8000.

In April deposit a further  £8,000. you should then have more than 800,000 Baht in the bank 2 months before you apply for 1 year Extension Retirement Visa. Straightforward at Jomptien Immigration. Cost 1900Baht.

Think this is the route I'll go. There's a thai consulate in Cardiff and I've just emailed them to book an appointment.

My brain hurts..... :Crazy1:  I'm definitely only ever going to Thailand for a holiday

555 same here

Got a mate who's just trying to get his TG over for a visit, he's got no idea what's ahead of him if he's hooked on her 55

The 90 day O Visa is a stand alone proper Visa, not an Extension.

You need that in order to get the 12 month Extension of Stay.

The rest is correct AFAIK.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can get the Extension at Bangkok at the same time.

Logically I think not, because I believe you have to apply at the office where you live, which I'm assuming is Pattaya.

If I'm right about that, apply at Jomtien for the Extension as soon as you get back (they run consecutively so you lose no time) so that your embassy letter doesn't 'expire'.

Actually, I believe the income letters from the Embassy are only good for six months. However, like all government offices in Thailand, there's the rules, and then there is how each individual office interprets the rules. (And unfortunately sometimes how each clerk, in each office interprets the rules.)

As you recommended, personally, I would not worry about the income letter until I was ready to start processing the retirement extension. Ideally you schedule it for when the US Embassy is doing a Pattaya Outreach visit, and then you don't have to deal with going to the US Embassy itself. They will be in Pattaya on Feb 5th. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

I've heard of converting tourist visas to non-imm O's in Bangkok, but all the people I personally know have all done theirs by going to the Thai Embassy in Lao, and doing it there. I did mine in the US, before I moved here so I never had to do that initial conversion.

Jeezus H Crist - how complicated is all that?? I once tried to read Stephen Hawkins 'A Brief History of Time' I hardly understood a word of it but I understood it better than I now understand visas in Thailand. It's almost as complicated as Thai girls....

I have Key Visa take care of my annual retirement extensions. In the morning I give them my passport and a balance statement from my Thai bank account, and later that day my passport is returned with a further 12 months extension, plus a multi re-entry visa. I pay a little bit more but get fast streamlined service. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Archived