Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Cathay 1st class ? Thoughts

HimBadMan

Thought I would spoil myself for my April Trip, I have enough AAdvantage miles for a 1st class tick from LA to BKK. I wanted biz but no award seats were available but they had 1st class. 1st class was just 12k more miles so I took it.

I looked at the fair and it's a $17,000 ticket ! Wow! They only have 6 total seats in 1st class.

My 1st trip last year to Bkk I booked a biz class on Eva s d thought that was amazing.

Anyone have the privilege to fly Cathay 777 1st class ? It looks great. And for a $17000 price tag it better be haha

If it is only 12k more miles sounds like a good deal. Never did first class but considering the difference in price between biz class and first class, and what else you going to get with 12k miles these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Trying to use those AAdvantage miles before they devalue them next year, huh?  Lol.  I know the feeling!

I flew Cathay first class on miles once.  According to the experts at flyertalk.com, it's one of the best first class sections in the industry.  The only basis of comparison I have is against United transpacific first class(also on miles) and it's no contest.  From food to amenities to service, Cathay first class kicks United's butt. 

Done it few times. Pretty sweet. I preferred the hardware on Thai. Cathy FC still has the narrow wherevyour foot goes. Not comfortable after a while as i am used to sleeping on my side.

I ran into the same situation as you 5 years ago, no biz seats, but I could get 1st.  I am really glad I spent the extra miles.

I'm in seat 1K on CX about to take off LAX-HKG. Book soon AA is doubling the miles to SE Asia in first sometime in March.

619f6d6ab182777b3834a245e2c5e8f8.jpg

dont be silly, save the miles and get business class, thats all you need for a great ride.  You will be sleeping most of the time anyway

Ha. Yes booking before the 30k increase in April !!! At least AA grandfathers you in if you book before April, so if dates change its still the same..

I agree biz is good enough for me but only 1st class award ticket was available . On return I got JAL biz class, but hope something else opens because I reviewed JAL biz and they looked kind of shitty .

I'm in seat 1K on CX about to take off LAX-HKG. Book soon AA is doubling the miles to SE Asia in first sometime in March.

619f6d6ab182777b3834a245e2c5e8f8.jpg

Ahh seat 1k. That's the one I booked too... Can't wait. Think I'll drink a bottle of Krug at least ! I don't mind using the extra 12k miles for the experience. When will I ever fly an $18k ticket again. Plus I get to try the 1st class longe at HK. They look amazing. I love s good shower after a 14hr leg

If you do it on miles, why wouldn't you?? Its a long way from LAX.

Been on BA 1st a few times, nice, but I suspect Cathay is much better as BA is losing the plot.

I usually fly Eva Business from LHR as BA business is now rubbish. EVA very good in new config, no real advantage in paying more for 1st on other airlines IMO, but if it's on miles - no contest!!

Make sure you post us some photos when on board.

When I flew Cathay first class, the first class lounge in HK was under renovation so I had to use their business lounge. I was pretty damn impressed with the business lounge as it was so the first class lounge is probably pretty stellar.

I usually fly Eva Business from LHR as BA business is now rubbish.

BA business is enough value for money when they do sales and I can get ARN-LHR-BKK and back for under £1000. At "normal" prices, hell no.

I'm about to board my favourite airline for business in a little while here, i.e. Austrian. Best business seat for my build, and both the food and the crew are great. Imagine crew who are rational and efficient like Germans, just a lot more laid back and generally friendlier. As a bonus, they take coffee seriously, and even have a separate menu for it. (Großer Brauner, anyone?)

To be a little on topic, the OP is not really an actual question, now is it? 12k extra for First, why would anyone in their right mind hesitate? 12k miles doesn't even get me to fucking Frankfurt, at the back of the bus!

At £1,000 return I would fly BA, thats a good deal and although BA lags behind its competitors its still better than flying Premium or Economy.

Sadly that price is not available from the UK as far as i know, lowest I've seen is normally around double that. Happy to stand corrected if others know better.

Just shows how the 'local' airlines rip off their home customers.

If it wasn't for the hassle it would almost be worth a day in Stockholm there and back on a budget airline to get that fare!!

Yeah, well, direct is always much more expensive. Makes no sense, of course, that I should get the trip for half price with two extra intra-Europe flights thrown in. Then again, that's hardly the only thing that doesn't make sense in airline pricing...

Main reason it's a lot more expensive if starting in UK is the tax

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

If you do it on miles, why wouldn't you?? Its a long way from LAX.

Been on BA 1st a few times, nice, but I suspect Cathay is much better as BA is losing the plot.

I usually fly Eva Business from LHR as BA business is now rubbish. EVA very good in new config, no real advantage in paying more for 1st on other airlines IMO, but if it's on miles - no contest!!

Make sure you post us some photos when on board.

no more rides to Obamas USA for me anymore, but when I did it was Eva Business class.  Good deal on it, great service, good seating, nice TV, and good food....and some nice wines and cheese

You will not regret taking the 1st class seat. I have flown Cathay 1st a number of times. You also get the 1st lounge in Hong Kong. Enjoy, it is a world apart from Business Class. You only live once.

Flying first class on CX is something to be remembered.

JAL biz class is a bit of a let down, but I just scored a round trip ticket from the west coast to BKK on their 787, for a total of 110,000 miles and $70.50 in taxes and fees.

Flying first class on CX is something to be remembered.

JAL biz class is a bit of a let down, but I just scored a round trip ticket from the west coast to BKK on their 787, for a total of 110,000 miles and $70.50 in taxes and fees.

I did research on JAL Dreamliner as I'm scheduled to take that flight back to Cali. It's actually a shit biz product. Seats are not lie flat. Looking to go back on Cathay . That JAL biz product looks well behind other airlines

While they are not lay flat seats, they do recline and fold out nicely.

I do agree that JAL is not at the same level in comfort as CX, but taking the Japan flight saves me at least 4 hours of California freeway time.

And if you get an emergency row like row #7 it is a really nice seat to have.

Roadglide. Good info. Appreciate it. I may have to fly them if I can't find a better return flight. But again I'm complaining about biz class on 787 could be a lot worse.

When are you flying. ? This past year, I've become an aviation nerd, and if you fly before me would love some photos and reviews

flew Cathay F twice from HKG-JFK, and it's worth every 67500 points.  Booked few mores for next year before March devaluations.  Btw I did fly JFK-HKG Cathay Pacific business class, it's absolutely great and allow you to sleep tons before arriving swampy.  HKG-BKK, business only and nothing's special other than good foods and easy & fast exit out of the plane + priority immigration lanes.  

Love Krug, but I wish CX provide wifi..  it's pretty long ride (15.5 hours between HKG-JFK).

Archived