IGNORED

.. K-Pop Band Detained at LA, Suspected as Sex Workers

brutox

.. this would be f##@king hilarious were it not so emblematic of our American government .. in many aspects, politically and bureaucratically, it has decayed to 3rd world incompetence .. hard really to trust anything they try to do anymore .. reading this, Koreans must be seriously concerned that US forces in Korea are under the command of politicians that produce these sorts of solutions .. bloody .. f#@kin' .. hell, they are morons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35071156/k-pop-group-oh-my-girl-detained-at-la-airport-on-suspicion-of-being-sex-workers

K-Pop group Oh My Girl detained at LA airport on suspicion of being sex workers

_87154278_ohmygod.jpg

A pop group has flown back to South Korea after officials in Los Angeles thought they might be sex workers.

The eight members were travelling to America for an album cover shoot but were detained for 15 hours in customs.

A statement from the group's record company, WM Entertainment, said authorities held them after going through their costumes and props.

"They seem to have mistaken them as sex workers," said a spokesman.

Oh My Girl, who formed in March, are thought to be back in South Korean capital Seoul after being released by officials at Los Angeles International Airport.

_87160710_ohmygirl2.jpg

WM Entertainment says it is taking legal advice in the US to find out whether the band's detention was legal.

The record company also said there might have been an issue with the type of visa the band members presented.

They had also been booked to perform at a gala event in Los Angeles on Saturday.

It's unclear if they will try to return to America to complete their album cover shoot.

_87160713_ohmygirl3_976.jpg

Oh My Girl (or OMG) brought their debut single Cupid out in April with a second mini-album and title track Closer released in October.

The band members are all aged between 16 and 21.

South Korean pop music, known as K-pop, is dominated by girl and boy bands whose members are sometimes as young as 13 or 14 years old.

In 2012, the government clamped down on over-sexualised performances by threatening to give higher age ratings to films, music videos and TV shows which exaggerated the sexuality of younger singers and bands.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Kinda wish they were just looking at  the pics

Wow, wow , wow, as an American this is extremely embarrassing and shows a distorted view of the rest of the world. Although it is going to come out of my pocket, I hope they sue the hell out CBP. Strange thing though, I haven't heard anything about this in the US, I wonder why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a frequent traveler, this is the norm. I will go out on a limb and say most of these CBP clowns have no international "etiquette" and are quick to jump to assumptions. Not only is this embarrasing, unfortunately this isn't the first time and will definately not be the last.

<iframe src="https://www.arewethere.yt/The-Hunt-Begins/35111.htm?type=embed"width="350" height="200" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Wow, wow , wow, as an American this is extremely embarrassing and shows a distorted view of the rest of the world. Although it is going to come out of my pocket, I hope they sue the hell out CBP. Strange thing though, I haven't heard anything about this in the US, I wonder why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was not in the news in the U.S. or anywhere else pretty much because it is a non-story.  ICE, as well as immigration in every other country, refuses entry to people every day.  In the case of this group they were not allowed in because ICE became suspicious with the amount of luggage, clothing, props and costumes they had.  They lied about the purpose for their visit and did not have the appropriate visa.  The one that should be blamed is the group's manager for not managing the travel arrangements correctly.  By the way, ICE is not going to be sued at all, as it is within their authority to refuse entry to anyone with or without cause.  You are crazy if you think ICE is acting out of line.  Given the ISIS threat expect it to get a lot tougher as well as now they are going to be looking at the visa waiver program.  

As a frequent traveler, this is the norm. I will go out on a limb and say most of these CBP clowns have no international "etiquette" and are quick to jump to assumptions. Not only is this embarrasing, unfortunately this isn't the first time and will definately not be the last.

They did not jump to assumptions.  They became suspicious about the amount and contents of their luggage and lied about it.  The ones that should be embarrassed is the group's management.  ICE was just doing their job.

They did not jump to assumptions.  They became suspicious about the amount and contents of their luggage and lied about it.  The ones that should be embarrassed is the group's management.  ICE was just doing their job.

Yep, and we've already discussed this in another thread. They did not suspect the ladies in question were would-be sex workers as the group's spokesman is quoted as saying. Instead, it was correctly determined that they would be working without the appropriate visas, not that they would be 'working girls'. Maybe something was lost in translation. 

I'm not going to be embarrassed by the ignorance of fellow citizens or BM's. But to borrow some of the Brutox's descriptive wording above, what is f##@king hilarious are the folks that trust anything they read ... hell, they are morons.

Archived