IGNORED

Buddhism!

Buddhism is not Buddhism without the concept of reincarnation. Main precepts of Buddhism are anicca (impermanence), anatta (literally no soul), existence of dukkha (dissatisfaction) and way to Nibbana. Try any books by Rahula Walpola, Gombrich, or Rupert Gethin to get a good base in Buddha's Dhamma instead of relying on novels written by romantic Orientalists.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddhism is not Buddhism without the concept of reincarnation. Main precepts of Buddhism are anicca (impermanence), anatta (literally no soul), existence of dukkha (dissatisfaction) and way to Nibbana. Try any books by Rahula Walpola, Gombrich, or Rupert Gethin to get a good base in Buddha's Dhamma instead of relying on novels written by romantic Orientalists.

Appreciate the suggestions but what do you object to about Hesse?

In order to test your theory you would need to go back to the time when Buddhism was introduced into Thailand and see if people were materialistic then.

Thanks, Sinbad. I wasn't really asking why did any religion begin where it began, but why it has 'taken hold' in the places where it's most practised. Is it because the beliefs are most needed? The Buddha came from a wealthy background. It's easier to reject material things if you do. I haven't heard that many poor people saying that their lives are better with nothing.

Good question. I personally think that organised religion tends to be induced by those in power as a means to control a populous. 

Could be; or they twist it to suit their motives, after realising that the religion is gathering momentum. Christianity is a good example. Those who could read and write, mostly elites, changed the original texts of the Bible, leaving out, for instance, any mention of Jesus' female disciples.

How does that work? Is it like "Serenity now"?

attachicon.gifserenity-now-544af7f25308d.gif

I couldn't get the link to work, but yes, I think so - I sort of know what you mean.  'Buddha within me, I give up, you do it' is telling yourself to think before you react - nothing revolutionary, just 'take a deep breath and count to 10' kind of wisdom, in cases of strife, tension, throughout the day. I love what the Buddha said to a man who shouted and screamed at him for some considerable time. He said, "I don't want your anger. It belongs to you. Keep it" I said this to a Thai girl once and you know what she said? She said, "I want you to have it" I fell about laughing and so did she.

Could be; or they twist it to suit their motives, after realising that the religion is gathering momentum. Christianity is a good example. Those who could read and write, mostly elites, changed the original texts of the Bible, leaving out, for instance, any mention of Jesus' female disciples.

They also got rid of reincarnation, I think during the time of that lunatic Justinian and his even worse, more dominant wife Theodora? (lived approx late 5th century AD)

Same reason, reincarnation allowed escape and therefore gave power to the common man and eternal damnation allowed serious, pitiless control of the flock. Funny enough it was the Eastern believers who pushed against the western faithful for this, created quite a schism.

I think Origen was (one of the major philosophical scholars of his time around 2nd century AD) a major advocate of reincarnation but the convoluted, internecine, political machinations of his era resulted in him becoming wiped almost from history along with his thoughts, although I do recall him converting an adoptionist into believing in the now traditional trinity (Adoptionism, sometimes called dynamic monarchianism, is nontrinitarian heretical theological teaching that Jesus was adopted as God's Son either at his baptism, his resurrection, or his ascension)

I have been reading up on Buddhism. Tbh i always seen Buddhism as just another religion where you live your life by a set off rules but thats not totally the case!

I find it very interesting. I feel it makes you question yourself. I am going to read up on it more and make a visit to a Buddhist monastery next year near my home.

Any off you UK based guys made this part off your life? 

Hey MunterHunter, I've a reasonable understanding of Buddhism and have leaned on the teachings a lot since returning to the UK.

The Capt has made some really good educated posts here which doesn't always go down well on a mongering board.

Buddhism gives you the tools to allow you to follow a personal path where you learn to deal with what has happened as well as face what will happen. Its allowed me to get through stuff that I truly had no idea I could.

Happy to continue this thread or take it offline.

Nice one mate.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Lets get my disarrangement out the way first. Buddhism does not follow reincarnation but rebirth.  Your next life does not have you as you see yourself now but as ANY sentinel being based upon the karma you obtained during your previous life. Act like a dog come back as an ant!

The rest of you post is very accurate. Life is shit (dukkha), Life is eternal (samsara), Attachment causes suffering, the way from suffering is the 8 Fold Path.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Buddhism, more precisely Vipassana meditation saved my life. Its not easy growing up as an autistic person of Indian origin in good ole' Dixie, Buddha's teachings help me cope and accept my situation for what it is. Seriously Siddharta Gautama was the most extraordinary person who ever existed.

Thanks for being so open on your post. I have been fortunate to of been taught Vipassana and Brahma vihara philosophy and meditation and use it every day in life.

I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion but a philosophy. It is non-judgemental and I like the emphasis on living in the moment. The Buddhism practised by the Thai's is different to Tibetan Buddhism and is influenced by Hinduism. Centuries ago, as Captain Corageous has said, men got involved and used the popularity of Buddhism to promote their own ambitions and to control. They made "Rules" and set themselves up as the leaders of the religion in much the same way as the Romans did with Christianity.

if you ignore all that bullshit and stick to the principles it is a beautiful and peaceful philosophy. I never say I am a Buddhist as I don't like labels but I try to stay in contact with the philosophy and it helps me through the bad times.

Hi Sophia, Buddhism is a way of life as opposed to a religion but its a fine line trying to explain the differences to people at times which is why I don't bother. As you so nicely say 'take away the BS' and you are left with a way of life that encouraces you to be the best person you can. If when I die hell opens up and the devil starts laughing at me for believing in Buddhism because its wrong I wont care as it taught me to be the best I can be. I can live with that. :GoldenSmile1:

Again, i have enjoyed this thread and it keeps getting better! I asked my parents to buy me some books on buddhism for crimbo.

ohh yeah, have a fantastic christmas.

Love Paul

If i do decide to really get into it i will probably keep it to myself and not really discuss it with family, friends, etc. It tires me how people want to change the world but cant change themselves?. I am thinking this can lead me more down a path to be a better person. I have seen enough now in life to base my decisions on how i have lived my life in comparison to others! Not saying im right or know what's best but it cant see any real negatives in educating myself on Buddhism and making it part off my life.

Again thanks to those who have replied to this thread. Its been very interesting.

Let's invent a secret handshake ! 555555

If i do decide to really get into it i will probably keep it to myself and not really discuss it with family, friends, etc. It tires me how people want to change the world but cant change themselves?. I am thinking this can lead me more down a path to be a better person. I have seen enough now in life to base my decisions on how i have lived my life in comparison to others! Not saying im right or know what's best but it cant see any real negatives in educating myself on Buddhism and making it part off my life.

Again thanks to those who have replied to this thread. Its been very interesting.

Whats next Sinbad, maybe a Sound of Music film review, "I didn't like it, no blame US of A, crap"

Sinbad food reviews " Me not hungry, so must be crap"

Sinbad car review " Engine go broom, broom, wheels turn, Good car me buy!" :GoldenSmile1:

Oh dear, someone wasn't allowed to have Tonka Toys as a kid.....

They also got rid of reincarnation, I think during the time of that lunatic Justinian and his even worse, more dominant wife Theodora? (lived approx late 5th century AD)

Same reason, reincarnation allowed escape and therefore gave power to the common man and eternal damnation allowed serious, pitiless control of the flock. Funny enough it was the Eastern believers who pushed against the western faithful for this, created quite a schism.

I think Origen was (one of the major philosophical scholars of his time around 2nd century AD) a major advocate of reincarnation but the convoluted, internecine, political machinations of his era resulted in him becoming wiped almost from history along with his thoughts, although I do recall him converting an adoptionist into believing in the now traditional trinity (Adoptionism, sometimes called dynamic monarchianism, is nontrinitarian heretical theological teaching that Jesus was adopted as God's Son either at his baptism, his resurrection, or his ascension)

Christianity is a rip off of Buddhism mixed in with some Greek philosophy and Judaism. For example in the Near Eastern world of that time, celibacy was looked down upon and ridiculed, yet there was a sect during Jesus's (whom I consider a king among yogis) time called the Essenes which practiced celibacy. People would be surprised how deep Indic values infiltrated the "West".

Appreciate the suggestions but what do you object to about Hesse?

None at all, I just wouldn't consider it my first source on Buddhism, more for entertainment value and an introduction to Buddha's era.

Lets get my disarrangement out the way first. Buddhism does not follow reincarnation but rebirth.  Your next life does not have you as you see yourself now but as ANY sentinel being based upon the karma you obtained during your previous life. Act like a dog come back as an ant!

The rest of you post is very accurate. Life is shit (dukkha), Life is eternal (samsara), Attachment causes suffering, the way from suffering is the 8 Fold Path.

Yes I agree completely, the Sanskrit term for rebirth is "purnajanam", with "janam" literally meaning birth. Not sure about Pali. A lot of things get lost in translation. For example Dhamma/Dharma has no real English equivalent.

Oh dear, someone wasn't allowed to have Tonka Toys as a kid.....

The cheek...why I'll have you know I had 2 great Tonka toys, a big red tractor and a large green crane, wish I had them still they were great (probably worth a few bob too) :GoldenSmile1:

The cheek...why I'll have you know I had 2 great Tonka toys, a big red tractor and a large green crane, wish I had them still they were great (probably worth a few bob too) :GoldenSmile1:

Errr.......mmmmm.....I wasn't allowed to have any.... 5555

Errr.......mmmmm.....I wasn't allowed to have any.... 5555

Didn't have Tonka Toys back then, lol. Was Mechano toys. I remember. I missed out too. LoL

Didn't have Tonka Toys back then, lol. Was Mechano toys. I remember. I missed out too. LoL

Wooden blocks, hammer and nails in my day.......some kid called Jesus keep getting his hands in the way....

Loved my Meccano construction sets they were awesome, 70's had some mad stuff, Evil knievil, scalextric, corgi cars, etc.

Im away to Peru in April. 7 days will be spent in the jungle doing ayahausca.

I spent years sneaking through fucking jungles......no enlightenment there mate.

Well not until Nigel Nog sets off a Trip Flare at night ! 555555

Loved my Meccano construction sets they were awesome, 70's had some mad stuff, Evil knievil, scalextric, corgi cars, etc.

Yeah, we had hands on creative toys in our era.

Anyone remember the Guillotine kit ?

Seriously it was a 12 inch high fully working Guillotine with a Stanley Blade.

It even had a tilting platform like the real thing during the French Revolution.

Many a Mouse died humanely on my Guilotine in those long lost days of capital punishment 555555

I have been reading up on Buddhism. Tbh i always seen Buddhism as just another religion where you live your life by a set off rules but thats not totally the case!

I find it very interesting. I feel it makes you question yourself. I am going to read up on it more and make a visit to a Buddhist monastery next year near my home.

Any off you UK based guys made this part off your life?

I find it talks about looking at yourself , listen to your feeling then you know right from wrong. I am quite spiritual and look to buddhism as a guide.

(Though have a feeling most religions say the same thing just some writing are used the wrong way)

I might be wrong but they are one of the few religions who have never gone to war over their beliefs. I find Buddhism very accepting of your own personal valves and makes you ask questions about yourself as you have stated and from that if you truly listen to the answers via your feeling ( you know when something is right) can bring you great peace and a sense of purpose. Mainly via meditation now I dont mean sitting humming in the corner of a room just quieten the mind and listen to how you are feeling.

I find it very useful especially in time of indecision which brings on stress

Yes I agree completely, the Sanskrit term for rebirth is "purnajanam", with "janam" literally meaning birth. Not sure about Pali. A lot of things get lost in translation. For example Dhamma/Dharma has no real English equivalent.

You are obviously well educated on the subject my friend.

With no direct Pali to English translations everything is Pali to Thai then English which makes a things real hard especially the chanting books.

I find it talks about looking at yourself , listen to your feeling then you know right from wrong. I am quite spiritual and look to buddhism as a guide.

(Though have a feeling most religions say the same thing just some writing are used the wrong way)

I might be wrong but they are one of the few religions who have never gone to war over their beliefs. I find Buddhism very accepting of your own personal valves and makes you ask questions about yourself as you have stated and from that if you truly listen to the answers via your feeling ( you know when something is right) can bring you great peace and a sense of purpose. Mainly via meditation now I dont mean sitting humming in the corner of a room just quieten the mind and listen to how you are feeling.

I find it very useful especially in time of indecision which brings on stress

Thank you Richard Gere....

Since the Chinese invasion of Tibet in 1957 and the brutal armed supression that immediately followed, the Tibetan Buddhists at least have accepted reality.

Meanwhile in the comfortable decadent west.......

Dalai Lama.jpg

image405.jpg

Archived