IGNORED

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 for Windows 7 sp1

likethaigirls

Hi, I just got Windows 7 re-installed yesterday as I was having 'Net connectivity problems.

Today, I got a load of these .NET updates to install. I Googled, but it's not clear to me what .NET is for. Is it for developers?

I'm just your typical user, Facebook, Google, email, this site- nothing special or fancy.

If .NET makes my PC more secure, I guess I should install the updates. But if it's for designing programs, I don't do that and wouldn't need to install the updates.

Can anyone shed some light on this, I'd be grateful. I googled it, still not really clear to me.

I use an iPad most of the time anyway.

Thanks!

It is used by developers to run programs under Windows (ie third party programs need it to run). You should keep it updated.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks, Scumbag,

I'm quite tired, but I get you as saying that although I'm not a developer, 3rd party programs need it to run; therefore keep it updated.

It's not related to Windows security.

As I mentioned in my OP, I got Windows 7 (sp1) reinstalled yesterday (at TukCom).

Today, Windows update informs me that I have 203 updates to install. WTF?!!

So, I didn't want to waste time installing unnecessary updates!

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks, Scumbag,

I'm quite tired, but I get you as saying that although I'm not a developer, 3rd party programs need it to run; therefore keep it updated.

It's not related to Windows security.

As I mentioned in my OP, I got Windows 7 (sp1) reinstalled yesterday (at TukCom).

Today, Windows update informs me that I have 203 updates to install. WTF?!!

So, I didn't want to waste time installing unnecessary updates!

Thanks again for your reply.

But it is related to security. At least some of the updates will be to increase security. Unless you want to spend a lot of time deciding which ones to install and which ones not to it is a shit load easy just installing them all.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Hi Scumbag,

I've installed them all now, on your advice. In Thailand (and elsewhere) 'Net connections can be, as you say,"shit load easy," and on other days so effin' slow and problem, problem, problem!

As you seem like you know about tech, can I ask you: Some hotels & restaurants over here have really poor quality WiFi, so I was thinking about getting a MiFi. That's like having my own hotspot (network) connection. Maybe that way, I could always be well connected, not having to depend on the hotel's setup? OTOH, I don't mind spending, but I don't like spending foolishly/needlessly. A guy I know spent $75 for the one in the photo. But he got it in Cambodia. If I did get one, I bet TukCom would be cheaper and equal or better quality and selection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

image.jpeg

I would first check if you can use your phone to perform the same function. Here are some instructions: How to use your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot: a guide to internet tethering on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry

Here is some more information: Wi-Fi tethering 101: Use a smartphone as a mobile hotspot

Thanks again, Scumbag,

I will check out the links you kindly included. Thing is, I don't have a smartphone (call it 'semi-smart :)) and I don't make many phone calls. Plus, the Samsung phone I have is about 3 years old and my iPad doesn't support it for Bluetooth. So, I don't see much need to have a smartphone. haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if smartphones are, on average, more expensive than MiFi's.

Now I'll check your links.

Best!

Archived