IGNORED

Airport express train into Bangkok without air arrival to avoid traffic?

Hermansen

I am traveling by car from Pattaya to Sukh mid day in a few weeks. Last time, the traffic was really bad going in to Bangkok. This time I am considering having the car drop me off at the airport and then go by airport express train in to the city.

It there something keeping me from doing this? Like, do you need a recent flight arrival or something to access the airport express train? I am traveling with a carry-on only.

Thanks!

No problem,

just go to the railway station at the basement level of the airport.

Buy a ticket for the City Line, which costs about 45 baht, or take the faster and more comfortable Airport Express train for about 150 baht.

Do it all the time...  just plan your connections.   And last time, the express wasn't running, so you stop along the way... no problem.

You mention you will have carry on.   Should not be problem as you are getting on at first station (airport) and should be able to get a seat and put it in front of you.    If you are transfer to BTS / MTR just be prepared to navigate stairs. 

http://www.bangkok-maps.com/bts.htm

" Remember, no matter where you go, there you are " - Confucius

How much time you are going to save by doing that? 15 or 30 minutes? Would it be more comfortable just let the taxi to take you to your hotel???

How much time you are going to save by doing that? 15 or 30 minutes? Would it be more comfortable just let the taxi to take you to your hotel???

Not sure. The last time I was stuck on the off ramp down to Sukh for an hour.

Not sure. The last time I was stuck on the off ramp down to Sukh for an hour.

Stuck on the off ramp down to Sukhumvit for an hour doesn't happen offen. It usually take about 45 minutes to an hour from Bkk to Sukhumvit (Nana area) in the afternoon. Even you take the airport train, you still need to walk from the drop off area at the airport to the train station. You still need to wait for the train. When you arrive Makkasan, you still need to walk to the MRT station and wait for the train. If you hotel is not right next to the train station, you need to walk or find another taxi to the hotel after you get off the MRT.

You go with your own car or taxi?

If you go with taxi I think the best option for you is, the end station of skyway named Bearing.

Take the train and avoid all trafic jam on Sukumwith Road.

Did use the Airport Link for something different, after seeing my Mum on her way back to Oz.

I was staggered by the numbers of Japenese/Chinese/Koreans using this service.

My wife and I didn't have suitcases, so it was easy and fun.

With suitcases it would be a lot harder.

Worth a try. You might like it :D

Why go to the airport at all for this option?

Have the taxi stop at Bearing which is well south of the airport and has the same BTS line as Asoke and Nana on the Sukhumvit line. Or Udom SUk which is right off Highway 34.

Have to think one reason for buses leaving Ekkamai is that it is also south of the congestion and on the Suk BTS line.

I always use the train from the airport when I go to Bangkok.  Take the airport bus from Jomtien as well.  While it is nice that it is inexpensive, I find it to be a much safer and quicker way to get to the city.

Why go to the airport at all for this option?

Have the taxi stop at Bearing which is well south of the airport and has the same BTS line as Asoke and Nana on the Sukhumvit line. Or Udom SUk which is right off Highway 34.

Have to think one reason for buses leaving Ekkamai is that it is also south of the congestion and on the Suk BTS line.

The correct answer.

BTW Bearing is quite close to the Erawan Museum. If you're in Bangkok and your TG likes elephants (lots and lots and lots of them) it is a great visit. 

Archived