Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Police checkpoints - latest scam

ingo67

A friend of mine (expat for 14 years) was stopped today at a police checkpoint this morning, 2nd Road, near Royal Gardens. Obviously he was wearing a helmet.

The policeman checked his;

1.Thai license

2. Tax on bike

Both present and correct. Then he asked for a copy of the Green Book, something he did not have on him. Never heard of this request before. Policeman took license and friend will now have to retrieve it from Soi9 for the appropriate fee.

So you have been warned.

Is it a legal requirement to have a coppy of the green book, if so then no scam. If not a legsl requirement, can he contest it at the station

They are working on the Christmas bonus. Must be doing quite well, as I was forced to contribute and the station was packed with contributors.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Daryle

I believe a copy of the green book is a legal requirement, otherwise my mrs wouldn't keep a copy with the bike. Been stopped a couple of times recently, everything in order, both times waved off by a smiling policeman giving me the thumbs up and saying everything very good.

Drivers Lic, tax and Green Book are checked regularly - no scam here at all.  I was also stop at the same checkpoint yesterday and nothing different to lots of checks in the past. Its inconvenient, but at least it keeps some unlicensed riders and unlicensed bikes off the road for a short time.

If anyone is about to rent a bike make sure the green book (or copy of it), rego and ins are all under the seat - its you who will be liable if stopped and found to be riding a bike without them.

Only in Thailand this is called a scam....

Get pulled over in Belgium without a helmet, valid liscense and paperwork.... you will need a good lawyer.

Here they let you drive away and the next day you go pay 1200 baht or something for all 3 offences combined, i'd wish there were more scams in Belgium. Oh wait there are, 50% + of my wage immediately goes to taxes.

I always keep a copy of my passport, tm card, visa, and 90 day extension along with my tax, registration, insurance and green book copy under my seat in zip lock bag. It takes no time to make copies and i'm 100% legal. Being pulled over and fined for not having proper documentation is not a scam, when they don't write you a ticket and charge you less in cash right on the spot that is called tea money

You will see that everybody is being stopped at these large police checks and that includes the MCT lads as they all have to have the ID licence on the back of their jackets now where it can be clearly seen.

It is not difficult to be legal so why pay anything. 

Wonder if they would accept electronic  (on your phone) copies of documents?  Except drivers license.  

If you have vehilce book copy, and it isn't in your name how do they know it isn't stolen.   Just curious.... 

" Remember, no matter where you go, there you are " - Confucius

• 3 weeks later...

I often laugh at how so many people see anything that is different to where they come from that cost money is a scam, yet stuff they want to do and pay money from is not. Human nature I think

What is a green book?

What is a green book?

an archaic method of keeping a record of the bikes rego and tax payments, like we had bank books in the past (and thailand still does those to)green.jpg

Member since Dec 06.

• 4 weeks later...

Pleased it hasn't turned into another bash the police thread.

He was in the wrong got fined - no scam.

Thanks for this post. I have just bought a bike and didn't know about the green book being part of the requirement when stopped. Thanks again forum.

Pleased it hasn't turned into another bash the police thread.

He was in the wrong got fined - no scam.

No it is a scam.  Another introduction of new policy selectively enforced while 12 year olds ride by three on a bike with no helmets.  You think these Thai bikes are carrying green books much less even currently registered think again.  No use defending money making practices.

So if i get stop and fined in the UK for no Insurance just because other people are driving around with no Insurance/licence/MOT and don't get stopped its a scam ?.

I agree about the kids and i hope they start to clamp down on it.

No it is a scam.  Another introduction of new policy selectively enforced while 12 year olds ride by three on a bike with no helmets.  You think these Thai bikes are carrying green books much less even currently registered think again.  No use defending money making practices.

Huh? Do you really think these kids would get waved through if they were stopped at a checkpoint?

It's absolutely not a scam; just a legal requirement of operating a vehicle.

i'd wish there were more scams in Belgium. Oh wait there are, 50% + of my wage immediately goes to taxes.

Yeah, that free healthcare is quite a scam.

A friend of mine (expat for 14 years) was stopped today at a police checkpoint this morning, 2nd Road, near Royal Gardens. Obviously he was wearing a helmet.

The policeman checked his;

1.Thai license

2. Tax on bike

Both present and correct. Then he asked for a copy of the Green Book, something he did not have on him. Never heard of this request before. Policeman took license and friend will now have to retrieve it from Soi9 for the appropriate fee.

So you have been ................................ 

Lived here 14 years and didn't know that ?      lmao4.gif

I can understand tourists getting caught out if they hire without getting a copy and I can understand that the BiB target those most likely to be offenders, but there's no scam.

Yeah, that free healthcare is quite a scam.

It doesn't all go to healthcare, that's actually the part i don't mind paying, together with free education for those who can't afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not carry the actual green book but a full copy along with all the other required documentation in a ziplock folder under the seat. To date this has always been satisfactory I just wait for the day some young bright and shiny new lad tells me it isn't. 

It doesn't all go to healthcare, that's actually the part i don't mind paying, together with free education for those who can't afford.

So far, I don't see any scam.

Archived