Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist Question: Getting Another 30 Days on my 30 Days Visa Exemption – Easy?

Henrik2000

Hi, my plan is to enter Thailand with a 30 days visa exemption. I want to get another 30 days shortly after arrival (so a total of 60 days, the extension costs 1900 THB). In the first few days after arrival in Thailand, i will be in Pattaya and i know where to find the immigration office in Jomtien. In weeks 2 – 4 of my trip i might be in the boondocks and might have problems locating an immigration office.

So my questions:

• Can i get a 30 days extension of my 30 days visa exemption just 2 or 4 days after arriving in Thailand, applying in Pattaya/Jomtien?
  • When i apply for another 30 days exemption and pay 1900 THB for that, will they ask for an outbound flight ticket at the immigration office?

Thanks for your real-life experience!

PS.

- I have entered Thailand many times and applied for 10-days extended visa exemptions at least five times without ever being asked for an onward ticket anywhere, but things might have changed.

- I am aware of the 60 days single entry visa to be bought before gong; but this is very complicated for me because i live far from the city. Also the form for that visa required me to show an outbound ticket and so far i have none.

I do not believe you can get 30 days tacked on to the 30 day on entry visa.  The smart thing to do is get a 60 day tourist visa at any one of their embassies.  I've done it for years.  Easy as can be and can be done via mail.

Subject to discretion of the immigration officer you can apply for a 30 day extension on the initial visa waiver program. However, it has been widely reported that such extension is only being granted near to the end of your initial visa waiver expiry date, say the 28th or 29th day.

Usually, they don't ask for a onward ticket while extending the visa. 

................................................................................................................

Mick, thanks for clear details!

Subject to discretion of the immigration officer you can apply for a 30 day extension on the initial visa waiver program. However, it has been widely reported that such extension is only being granted near to the end of your initial visa waiver expiry date, say the 28th or 29th day.

Usually, they don't ask for a onward ticket while extending the visa. 

I don't think they give 30 days on top of the standard 30 day entry.  Only a 10-15 day extension is granted,  But they are always changing so who knows.  I'd check at thaivisa.com if it were me.

PS.

- I have entered Thailand many times and applied for 10-days extended visa exemptions at least five times without ever being asked for an onward ticket anywhere, but things might have changed.

- I am aware of the 60 days single entry visa to be bought before gong; but this is very complicated for me because i live far from the city. Also the form for that visa required me to show an outbound ticket and so far i have none.

You may have an issue arriving at all if the airline sees a 60 day round trip and you only have eligibility for 30 day exemption on arrival. 

They can and have refuse boarding.

Get a visa or a ticket elsewhere for 29 days after arrival, refundable or a throwaway.

ricktoronto or anyone,can you see a difficulty if you have a return ticket for say 3 1/2 months UK-BKK with a 60 day visa but you also have a ticket to Vietnam for 59 days into your 60 day visa?

You then re-enter Thailand after 15 days spend another 30 days there and use your return ticket.

Or will they say your return ticket is for 3 1/2 months but visa only for 60 days and not take into account you have a onward ticket out of Thailand before your return flight to the UK.

I originally thought you did not have to show proof of a flight out if you had a 60 day TV.

If you have a tourist visa you don't have to show a return ticket.  Well, at least I haven't shown one in years and over a dozen arrivals.  Could be they like me,  

I would really recommend getting the tourist visa.  it can be done by mail if you aren't near an embassy.  I do it via mail between Arizona and Los Angeles all the time.  I am not certain you can get a 30 day extension on a visa on arrival.  Last time I had one was admittedly over 10 years ago but back then 15 days was all you could get.

Fatjack and Rick, thanks for input!

It seems the rules change from office to office, of course that is not what you want to hear but why do you want to get extension so quickly after arrival as I think that will be a stumbling block.

If you have a tourist visa you don't have to show a return ticket.  Well, at least I haven't shown one in years and over a dozen arrivals.  Could be they like me,  

I would really recommend getting the tourist visa.  it can be done by mail if you aren't near an embassy.  I do it via mail between Arizona and Los Angeles all the time.  I am not certain you can get a 30 day extension on a visa on arrival.  Last time I had one was admittedly over 10 years ago but back then 15 days was all you could get.

Vsa on arrival & visa waiver stamp are different. Post the rule changes last year 30 day extension is being granted on visa waiver entry (subject to discretion again). You are more likely to get it if you don't have frequent/too many visa waiver stamps on your passport. 

................................................................................................................

I don't think they give 30 days on top of the standard 30 day entry.  Only a 10-15 day extension is granted,  But they are always changing so who knows.  I'd check at thaivisa.com if it were me.

They will now give you 30 days more on a visa excempt,the cost is 1.900 baht.

They will now give you 30 days more on a visa excempt,the cost is 1.900 baht.

What is a Visa exempt?  Is that like just showing up with a US passport with no Visa?  And are you sure someone has done this?  

O know it's been a long time but when I used to show up without a visa I got 30 days and then they would only extend 15.  

What is a Visa exempt?  Is that like just showing up with a US passport with no Visa?  And are you sure someone has done this?  

O know it's been a long time but when I used to show up without a visa I got 30 days and then they would only extend 15.  

When was the last time you tried an extension?

You get the usual 30 days Visa excempt and before it expires you go to the nearest immigration office and for 1.900 baht + an onward flight ticket and 2 passport photoes,

Many years ago I remember you could get a 10 day extension,then it was reduced to 7 and has now been replaced by the regulation above.

And I got an extension like this in Bkk Immigration march 2015 ;-).

When was the last time you tried an extension?

I get them all the time.  Last July was the last one.  BUT I arrive on a 60 day tourist visa.  They have given 30 days on top of that via extension since I have been using them the last 10 years.  

The last time I arrived without a 60 day tourist visa is 10 years ago and back then they only allowed a 15 days extension on the visa on arrival.  In essence they only granted an extension of half the time of your original visa type.

If they now grant 30 days on arrival and a 30 day extension to that great.  But as it would be a change I would want to know from someone who has done exactly that.  The misunderstanding of extensions based on original visa might bite him in the ass if there has been a communications break down.

You get the usual 30 days Visa excempt and before it expires you go to the nearest immigration office and for 1.900 baht + an onward flight ticket and 2 passport photoes,

Many years ago I remember you could get a 10 day extension,then it was reduced to 7 and has now been replaced by the regulation above.

And I got an extension like this in Bkk Immigration march 2015 ;-).

1 passport photo not 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your impute to this topic as many individuals have these same questions.

Archived