Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Living in Thailand as a visa runner: still possible?

thexman

I´m a little confused after recent changes in visas. I´ve read a lot of info about visa runs but I don´t know if they are still an option to stay long term in Thailand.

I´ll arrive in March with a tourist visa (60 days+30 days extension). Is it still possible to do a visa run and repeat the process (60+30) again and again? I know it´s possible to be rejected if you exit the country for just one day and visit the nearest countries, but,what about if you fly to another country for a week? 

If this is not an option, what´s the cheaper and most practical way to stay in Thailand with tourist visas?

Since they offer a 6 month / 60 day multiple entry visa why wouldn't you start with that? You get it in your country of residence. You can leave any border and come back for a new entry every two months.

All you can apply for in other countries are 60 day one time visas, so you could fly to HK or Singapore,  and apply for that one, though at some point someone will say no.

Of fly home, wait a month and try for another 6 month/60 day visa. 

If you look at the list of requirements for the new 6 month visa - at least in the UK - I'll be very surprised if anyone bothers.

They have said they are again going to enforce the 180 days a year rule - but who knows as they regularly change how they apply the rules anyway.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

You shouldn't have issues if you exit and obtain proper tourist visa at the embassy. Usually it will take few days to get it issued anyway. Immigration officials have been tightening up on visa exempt entries; not so much on tourist visas.

You shouldn't have issues if you exit and obtain proper tourist visa at the embassy. Usually it will take few days to get it issued anyway. Immigration officials have been tightening up on visa exempt entries; not so much on tourist visas.

Then

Tourist visa (60)+ Extension (30)+ Visa Run-Tourist visa (60)+ Extension(30) is still doable?

If you look at the list of requirements for the new 6 month visa - at least in the UK - I'll be very surprised if anyone bothers.

They have said they are again going to enforce the 180 days a year rule - but who knows as they regularly change how they apply the rules anyway.

I´m not sure if the 180 days a year rule is active. I think there are people living in Thailand more than 180 days a year with visa runs

Since they offer a 6 month / 60 day multiple entry visa why wouldn't you start with that? You get it in your country of residence. You can leave any border and come back for a new entry every two months.

All you can apply for in other countries are 60 day one time visas, so you could fly to HK or Singapore,  and apply for that one, though at some point someone will say no.

Of fly home, wait a month and try for another 6 month/60 day visa. 

METV is more expensive, and you need to buy flying tickets in advance. It´s not for me.

The 180 days a year rule doesn`t exist any more,it was scrapped in 2008.

The 180 days a year rule doesn`t exist any more,it was scrapped in 2008.

You can't be throwing facts like that around, it will destroy the hysteria and lead to a forum shutdown.

It's a lot easier to stay long term in Cambodia no visa runs required.

To answer your question.. Yes as of today you can still live in Thailand as a visa runner as all border crossingings have relaxed.  The real question is living on borrowed time, you know you need to get straight so maybe this is a good time to work at getting the correct long term visa.

Kurt

--- Is it in yet?

It's a lot easier to stay long term in Cambodia no visa runs required.

Maybe, but there´s no a cambodian Pattaya. And I think accommodation is more expensive. I´ve been checking apartments in Cambodia and there is nothing in the same quality level/price ratio. 

Archived