IGNORED

Heavy Data Sim Card - Jan 2016 trip

duckyousucker

Hello chaps,

Can anyone kindly provide advice on local Pattaya Sim cards...

My hotel has WiFi but in the past this kind of connection is not reliable. Often the hotel staff give you a blank stare when you point out that you booked the room on the basis the room itself had a reliable WiFi signal.

Instead of relying on WiFi alone I thought this time I'd buy a fast data package.

I intend to keep in touch with family using wattsapp.

I also want to listen to UK radio and telly. I imagine using FilmOn will allow access to UK TV? I might also use a VPN Hola to bypass regional bars...

Can anyone tell me if watching telly on FilmOn is possible there.

I'm staying a full month so what's my best option? I heard fast internet only covers first 2GB then is throttled down to slow speeds? I presume it's possible to then just go out and buy another Sim? (Hand my slow data sim over to another tourist).

I got a True SIM at the airport in June/July which was unlimited data for a month. It was around 1000 baht.

There was something about a speed boost for an initial amount of data - sorry don't understand enough about these things to know the details. I did get a message at some point about this being close to running out.

Got 4G coverage a lot of the time. It was 3G when I was in the Condo in Jomtien but even this was often better than the wi-fi!

No problems using FaceTime walking along the beach.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

DTAC offers 12GB package for 799 thb. When you use all data you can activate it again. Check their website for details.

I paid around that for 6gb with true h. That was on special package as well which said normally 3gb.

How long would you be here for ? 12gb would be enough the most I ever used in the UK was around 20gb but I work away a lot and tether my iPad for TV and movies

DTAC offers 12GB package for 799 thb. When you use all data you can activate it again. Check their website for details.

It is over a 1000bt for 12gb package at the airport counter. I showed a pic of the 799bt 12gb package to one rude ass dtac service girl. That bitch just looked at my phone and pointed down at a paper with the normal price of 1000bt!

Vincent Law

It is over a 1000bt for 12gb package at the airport counter. I showed a pic of the 799bt 12gb package to one rude ass dtac service girl. That bitch just looked at my phone and pointed down at a paper with the normal price of 1000bt!

I doubt all staff is aware of all packages. But you can easily do it yourself - just top up your sim card (either online or at 7-11) and then activate data plan (there is shortcut on the website I linked). Alternatively you can call DTAC call center (1678) and they will activate plan you want. Once you receive confirmation sms you can start surfing.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info so far, thanks a lot! I'm curious though if there are certain carriers that provide a stronger signal with faster service like some of us have back home? The price difference is probably not too bad from worse to best and I would rather have constant/speedy service than to save a few bucks. Thanks!

399 baht a month with TRUE gives me all I need  , why you guys paying so much  ? 

Because some people may need more data than you do?   :Think1:

Yeah, I can't imagine needing 12GB of data a month in Thailand, but then again I stay places with good wifi and don't do data-heavy activity on holiday anyway.

Others on the board who are relying solely on their mobile connection to stream movies and tv for much of the time, however...  :Hello5:

Great info so far, thanks a lot! I'm curious though if there are certain carriers that provide a stronger signal with faster service like some of us have back home? The price difference is probably not too bad from worse to best and I would rather have constant/speedy service than to save a few bucks. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with DTAC in Pattaya. Bear in mind that all three main mobile providers are going to have good 4G coverage in Pattaya, it probably doesn't matter which service you choose in town... going upcountry may be different.

Thanks for the info guys good read, as my job needs speedy internet connection lm not so sure about the hotel signal being strong at all during Skype calls for business.

Ive had a friend tell me in the airport he just picks up a sim with plenty of data and hasn't let him down with signal coverage for data use.

An make sure for anyone that's a first time traveler always take out your sim card from your original phone before you get to the holiday destination unless you want a lump sump bill when you get home $$$$ ( or turn off data roam ) but take out sim to be 110% don't risk it.

I'm moving over permanent shortly and my condo dies have Internet to the rooms. For the lot going term is the dtac deal still the best?

I usually pick up a 4G unlimited SIM card (DTAC or True) for 7-800B at the Oppo booth in Central Festival. Usually takes about 10 minutes for them to set it up.

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

I usually pick up a 4G unlimited SIM card (DTAC or True) for 7-800B at the Oppo booth in Central Festival. Usually takes about 10 minutes for them to set it up.

Hey hey. Sounds great Tokiojoe

Beeing an absolute noob with theese issues, and also quite pissed with TOT for the time beeing. The contract/period of many years with tot broadband to my condo has expired and to just renew the conditions with TOT were very very difficult on my last visit. But I spend only a month a year in thai so an easier and more flexible fix sounds great.

So, - is it really easy and possible to just walk up to a booth in CF and get help to set up a smartphone for datatraffic like tokiojoe says above, and then use this as a router for tablet and/or computer.

For less than 1000 bath? No need of other gismos, dings and beepbeep devices? Should I bring anything more with me?, (except my samsung GT 19300, passport,long trousers a shirt with a collar and a handfull of bath). This will be an old mobilephone of mine for thaiuse only btw.

When it comes to internet issues any guidance and help is wormly welcommed.

Where exacly in central? Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Gogolover15, the Oppo booth (green color) is in the middle of the 4th floor of Central Festival. It's not a full shop, they have a couple of freestanding counters selling phones and SIM cards. The cards are usually DTAC or True depending on what they have. Last time I noticed there is a DTAC shop close by, but haven't tried them.

Just picked up a 4G unlimited DTAC SIM card (one month) from Oppo again for 900B. They are actually on the third, not fourth, floor of Central.

Just picked up a 4G unlimited DTAC SIM card (one month) from Oppo again for 900B. They are actually on the third, not fourth, floor of Central.

Hi is that the 12gb one?

Vincent Law

Vincent, the service portion was 700B so I think it is the 9G plan.

http://dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/happy-unlimited-internet-package.html

Hey hey. Sounds great Tokiojoe

Beeing an absolute noob with theese issues, and also quite pissed with TOT for the time beeing. The contract/period of many years with tot broadband to my condo has expired and to just renew the conditions with TOT were very very difficult on my last visit. But I spend only a month a year in thai so an easier and more flexible fix sounds great.

So, - is it really easy and possible to just walk up to a booth in CF and get help to set up a smartphone for datatraffic like tokiojoe says above, and then use this as a router for tablet and/or computer.

For less than 1000 bath? No need of other gismos, dings and beepbeep devices? Should I bring anything more with me?, (except my samsung GT 19300, passport,long trousers a shirt with a collar and a handfull of bath). This will be an old mobilephone of mine for thaiuse only btw.

When it comes to internet issues any guidance and help is wormly welcommed.

I do this quite often in UK, when out of WIFI range, I turn my Samsung phone into a mobile hotspot via the data package on the phone, depending on the signal it is plenty good enough to watch netflix etc, on my laptop and tablet.

Or you can tether it to certain other devices by so that when they are within range, they will pick up your phone signal. 

Archived