duckyousucker

Thai Motorcycle Helmets !

duckyousucker

During my last visit in 2013 it became apparent quite early on that the local bike helmets were next to useless. They are paper thin and would not be legal in EU/USA.

I'm intending to hire a 125cc Scooter for my full month in Thailand. I'm a ex UK bike cop with a full UK (A) licence. I realise the risks of riding the streets of Pattaya (local idiots and tourists who pass you on both sides).

I was wandering if its possible to source a proper helmet locally or whether I need to bring a cheap open face helmet with me from home? Obviously that would be a bit of a pain....

While here, can anyone point me in the direction of a good reliable Scooter hirer in Pattaya? By this I mean one that does not invent damage.

Thanks.

Hawkeye

You can buy all types of helmets in Pattaya and worth it to get a quality one as they are not too expensive so you can keep for future trips or just give away when leaving.  The ones provided when renting are just basic types which offer limited protection. 

I have rented from and can recommend Hallmark Motorbike Rentals and Pattaya Rent a Bike.  Both are expat run businesses and easy to work with.

duckyousucker

Thumbs up Hawkeye. I appreciate you taking time to reply.

I wish you well.

freedom42

I brought my own over last trip and left it with friends so I wouldn't have to lug it around. Bringing a modular full face / half face convertible over this trip for the move over.

I would say a 7-11 plastic bag would be safer on your head than most of the helmets the locals wear.

Harry Brown

Hallmark run a good reliable business, you won't get ripped off with them very reliable.

duckyousucker

Can anyone confirm exactly where I can buy a safe helmet from... By this I mean something EU/USA legal.

The local helmets are a joke. I'm surprised the Thai Government hasn't passed laws to stop these things from being made let alone sold.

Lugging a helmet from the UK as hand luggage is a pain but worth it if you can't buy a decent lid there...

duckyousucker

Hallmark it is then.

Thanks chaps.

If anyone like to meet up with me, I'm solo traveller arriving Pattaya 11 January 16 for 30 days.

Harry Brown

Can anyone confirm exactly where I can buy a safe helmet from... By this I mean something EU/USA legal.

The local helmets are a joke. I'm surprised the Thai Government hasn't passed laws to stop these things from being made let alone sold.

Lugging a helmet from the UK as hand luggage is a pain but worth it if you can't buy a decent lid there.. 

I do remember seeing some full face helmets in Tukcom near where they sell the drones on the ground floor.

I'm not sure but I'd imagine you'd find the better helmets would be sold at some of the hi end bike shops there,   On third road and Soi Chaiaphun  (I think) any way it's not far from theBoxing Roo bar on Third road but on the other side on one of the corners.

​I don't know about the standard conformed to but they look like the real deal.

Hopefully someone who's purchased one will be able to give you better info.

simon46

1. the heat mate

2. you are leaving it on the mirrors in a city not famed for the honesty of its natives or its visitors.

3. In the UK I only use full face, 20% of head injuries are saved by the chin bar, saved me!, ear plugs etc and sometimes big numbers, in Thailand I am happy with plastic down below my ears but dinky little numbers and in k/hr.

years back i dropped a bike here and bashed my open face arai.  tall, blackish, camouflage girl renter, Noon? stuck the bike back for a few hundred baht, offered her the helmet, give for free etc, simply not interested, too heavy too hot.  As you know a decent helmet is a one use item, even a drop will kill it.

I suggest about 1000 to 1200 baht from the big bike shops, probably plated yamaha, honda (hopefully not hello kitty fino).  Pull off the chin cup (WTF) add monk stamp or religious tattoo etc.

Note my insurer is changing conditions to "suitable protective gear", hopefully someone else will test this.  Flip flops, shorts, tee, helmet and lucky token on the keyring seem OK by me.

ingo67

I was wandering if its possible to source a proper helmet locally or whether I need to bring a cheap open face helmet with me from home? Obviously that would be a bit of a pain....

Good selection in small motorbike shop on South Road, the junction with Soi Kopai that has all the bollards in the middle of the road, about 0.5 kms up from the 3rd junction. REAL helmets are about as good as it gets for a Thai brand, not bad at all actually, 1500bht max  for open face or if you have a small head INDEX a bit cheaper, 1000bht max.

Lloydies

During my last visit in 2013 it became apparent quite early on that the local bike helmets were next to useless. They are paper thin and would not be legal in EU/USA.

I'm intending to hire a 125cc Scooter for my full month in Thailand. I'm a ex UK bike cop with a full UK (A) licence. I realise the risks of riding the streets of Pattaya (local idiots and tourists who pass you on both sides).

While here, can anyone point me in the direction of a good reliable Scooter hirer in Pattaya? By this I mean one that does not invent damage.

Thanks.

Call 0861113148 talk with Chris, top bloke has about 60 bikes, maybe able to help you with helmet too.

chrisollis1@hotmail.com

He will deliver or you can go to him in Soi Nernplabwan

He is someone I trust in Pattaya and I dont say that about many

Edited by ll0ydie

davidge

There's a rental place in Jomtien that has a big sign stating they have "Christian Values"

Must be trustworthy.

LazyJay

check out

http://www.real-helmets.com/

for a decent locally produced helmet

but if you want to something closer to western standards for lower speeds on a scooter check out

http://www.indexhelmet.com/

you can get an index open face for about 800 baht in Lotus.

thumbs up from me for hallmark too...

http://hallmarkmotorbikerentals.com/

Edited by LazyJay

duckyousucker

Thanks guys.... Have just sent email to above contact.

I'm convinced I need a proper helmet. Will consider the Real brand above, they look much better than those pathetic things used by locals...

Might not save me in bad crash but will give a fighting chance.

The problem riding there is mad locals who pass at speed both sides!!!!!! Undertaking when turning!!!!!

Lloydies

Thanks guys.... Have just sent email to above contact.

I'm convinced I need a proper helmet. Will consider the Real brand above, they look much better than those pathetic things used by locals...

Might not save me in bad crash but will give a fighting chance.

The problem riding there is mad locals who pass at speed both sides!!!!!! Undertaking when turning!!!!!

Lucky they are not pissed too  :GoldenSmile1:

duckyousucker

Yeah that too!!!!!

I suppose a few westerners excell at that practice too!

This might sound elitist but the only tourists who should be riding Scooters are those who possess a full bike licence.

Last time I rode in Bangkok I was nearly wiped out twice by locals riding furiously 3 up on one bike. I went to turn left, indicated, did my lifesaver and upon starting to turn off an idiot who was riding beside me on my right decided to undertake me on the left. It left me nowhere to go and I only just missed hitting him (them).In the UK I'd have thrown the book at him for dangerous driving but in Thailand its common practice to undertake on left.

Now I'm an experienced rider having ridden and owned powerful machines since the early 1980s... No wonder increasing numbers of tourists are getting wiped out.

What concerns me here are people without riding experience advising other learners to simply find a deserted road to hone riding skills.....

Lloydies

Yeah that too!!!!!

This might sound elitist but the only tourists who should be riding scooters are those who possess a full bike licence.

Last time I rode in Bangkok I was nearly wiped out twice by locals riding furiously 3 up on one bike. I went to turn left, indicated, did my lifesaver and upon starting to turn off an idiot who was riding beside me on my right decided to undertake me on the left. It left me nowhere to go and I only just missed hitting him (them).In the UK I'd have thrown the book at him for dangerous driving but in Thailand its common practice to undertake on left.

Now I'm an experienced rider having ridden and owned powerful machines since the early 1980s... No wonder increasing numbers of tourists are getting wiped out.

What concerns me here are people without riding experience advising other learners to simply find a deserted road to hone riding skills.....

And remember any accident will be the farangs fault

Harry Brown

Yeah that too!!!!!

This might sound elitist but the only tourists who should be riding scooters are those who possess a full bike licence.

I agree with most of what you say.

And for  someone who hasn't ridden a bike I would agree catch the baht bus.

But if someone is intent on riding then it is best to familiarise yourself with the controls and balance before going into traffic.

Remember at some point in a riders driving life it had to be their first time in traffic, I would suggest to have some one very experienced and sensible tag along for the fist few times. I am an experienced rider as well, It would be best once he was proficient in the controls to find a school there but then what would the quality of the driving school be?

Also for insurance purposes and to be legal in Thailand he would need a Bike licence from his country, IDP, then if living there he would need to sit a test.

Mr Wombat

The only problem with using a decent helmet is that they are very hot. In Pattaya you are mostly at low speed or stopped at lights etc so no real ventilation.

Look for a helmet with excellent ventilation

duckyousucker

A 7/11 plastic bag will do that....with a few ventilation holes lol

I take you're point but in the realm of things, I feel this is a price worth paying for.

I'm not suggesting wearing full leathers or a textile suit after all. I agree its about getting the right balance with regard to the considerable risks involved in riding.

duckyousucker

Can't really see the difference between a cheap or expensive helmet in terms of heat retention. I think an open faced helmet in town is the way to go though.

Cerberus

There are two retail places that have a wide selection of better quality helmets, one is on the corner of the junction of Soi Leng Kee and third road, (just up from Retox) and the other is on the junction of Soi 15 and Soi Buakhao that one is called Mai Thai I recall

Edited by Cerberus

Linnets

Could also try GTRider on Pattaya Tai on the left towards the Big C end, they have a good selection. I brought my own Caberg Riviera open face helmet over from the uk, pretty decent helmet and not too hot to wear

davethailand

Don't know if it still does but the Kawasaki bike shop on sukhumvit (between Klang and Tai) used to do a large range of helmets, Index, shark etc.

:)