IGNORED

Windows password help.

Steven B'stard

To whom That Can Be Bothered

My dear old mother has a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7,  she has never created or used a windows password at the boot up point.  At the weekend my sister was over and my 2 nephews were playing games on the laptop.  

Last night my mother boots the laptop and hits enter with the password box blank as usual.  There is an error massage saying the password is incorrect.  Tried many times and can't get in.  

After going over to have a look myself i googled the problem and the most common suggestion was to download a hack software to disc.  Insert it into the locked pc before  boot up but it didn't work. I chose a seemingly common one called  OPHCrack.  (ISO) file

Any simple solutions?  Or am i better taking it to a shop for repair?  

Suggestions welcome.  

BTW,  nephews both deny creating a password   lol

Stevie

Any chance the kids logged in with a different user? Maybe just verify the user displayed. It's possible the kids logged into a Microsoft site and that user got carried over to the win login.  Seems unlikely to me the kids would set up a password for the system.

Also, have you tried booting into safe mode.

Thanks i will take a look.  

I created a Windows System Repair Disc on my own laptop as i saw suggested,  doesn't seem to be working either.  I have it in now.  nothing happening 

Stevie

Also, have you tried booting into safe mode.

How do i do that?   Thanks in advance

Stevie

How do i do that?   Thanks in advance

Just before the Windows 7 splash screen appears, press the F8 key to enter advance boot options.

This one works 100%, I have used it many times:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Download the CD iso, then google and download Rufus. Rufus will make a usb-stick bootable with the ISO image. Set the BIOS on your pc to boot on a usb. Then reboot your pc and follow the instructions. Easy peasy  :laugh:

This one works 100%, I have used it many times:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Download the CD iso, then google and download Rufus. Rufus will make a usb-stick bootable with the ISO image. Set the BIOS on your pc to boot on a usb. Then reboot your pc and follow the instructions. Easy peasy  :laugh:

Thanks i will give it a go. 

Stevie

Use a restore point.

or

http://www.wimware.com/windows-7-password-recovery/

or

Step 1. Boot the laptop using a installation disk. When prompted, click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left-hand corner.

Step 2. Click Command Prompt.

Step 3. When a window of Command Prompt appears, type "copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\" and press Enter. And then also type "copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe" afterwards press Enter key.

Step 4. Restart your laptop. On the logon screen, tap Shift key five times and you'll see a command prompt in administrator mode, and you can reset password now. Type "net user UserName NewPassword" (replace the UserName and UserPassword with yours) and press Enter key. Close the window and then you can login Windows 7 with new password

Hey fellas,  thanks to all who replied,   i tried a couple of the easy suggestions myself to no avail.  I took it to work today for a friend who knows a whole lot more than i do to have a look at it,,  he has it now.  Seems confident he can fix it.

Thanks again 

Stevie

Archived