IGNORED

Gotcha With Extension To Stay And Re-Entry Permit Valid Until Dates

forcebwithu

I just learned of a gotcha with the extension to stay and re-entry permit valid until date.

Earlier this year I got a Re-Entry Permit with a valid until date of 16 Nov, 2015, which coincides with the permitted to stay date of my then current extension to stay.

On 29 Oct, prior to my visit back to the States, I applied for and received a new extension to stay with a new permitted to stay date of 16 Nov, 2016. I then left Thailand on 4 Nov and returned on 13 Nov, 3 days before my Re-Entry Permit and current extension to stay was set to expire.

Upon clearing immigration on the 13th, I looked at my passport and saw an Admit Until date of 16 Nov, 2015. I immediately went up to one of the supervisors and pointed out the discrepancy in dates. His reply was to go to Pattaya Immigration on Monday.

So today I spent over an hour at Immigration while they passed my passport around to at least eight different people. End result is because I got a new extension to stay on 29 Oct, that basically invalidated my Re-Entry Permit on that day, even though it has a valid until date of 16 Nov. That also means my Non-O Visa is now kaput as I re-entered Thailand w/o a valid re-entry permit and I now have to go through the time and expense of applying for a new Visa.

While at Pattaya Immigration I also pointed out that even with an invalid Non-O Visa, BKK immigration should have given me a 30 day stamp, not 3 days. Their response, I could either go back to BKK to fix their mistake or slip them 500B and they'd take care of it Pattaya.

So let this be a warning to anyone contemplating a trip out of Thailand around the time their extension to stay comes up for renewal. You'll need to get a Re-Entry Permit at the same time or you'll be wearing my shoes.

• 4 weeks later...

Update to my earlier post to let BM's know Pattaya immigration was wrong in their assessment of my visa status. The fact is my visa was, and is still good.

It occurred to me a couple of days after my trip to Pattaya immigration that not one of the officers bothered to check the computer system to confirm my visa status. Figuring there was a good chance they were wrong, I figured the easiest way to get access to their computer system was to submit the documents for a re-entry permit and not ask any questions. If the visa was no good then their computer system should kick out the re-entry permit application as invalid. So that's what I did, and to my great relief I was issued a re-entry permit in short order.

Now this being Thailand I still couldn't be 100% sure my visa was still good as there was a chance their computer system was dumb enough to allow issuance of a re-entry permit w/o a valid visa. The only way to be 100% certain was to travel out of Thailand and return. I just completed such a trip and I'm happy to report I now have an admit until stamp that matches my current extension to stay of 16 Nov, 2016.

It just boggles the mind that immigration officers that should know this shit almost managed to convince me I needed a new visa. Of course, never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

So no problem after all?

I'm guessing, but perhaps the officer at BKK simply looked at your old stamps.

Unfortunately, once they've made such a mistake it's very hard to get them to admit they were wrong.

Pattaya Immigration were less than helpful it seems, but then it wasn't their mistake - I think this is one of those times I'd have gone back to BKK Immigration.

Whenever you re-enter Thailand, it's always a good idea to offer your Passport open at the page with your current Visa on it and Point to it.

They'll pretend to ignore you and go to the photo page, but they've seen it and I've never had a problem since I started doing it.

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

So no problem after all?

I'm guessing, but perhaps the officer at BKK simply looked at your old stamps.

Unfortunately, once they've made such a mistake it's very hard to get them to admit they were wrong.

Pattaya Immigration were less than helpful it seems, but then it wasn't their mistake - I think this is one of those times I'd have gone back to BKK Immigration.

Whenever you re-enter Thailand, it's always a good idea to offer your Passport open at the page with your current Visa on it and Point to it.

They'll pretend to ignore you and go to the photo page, but they've seen it and I've never had a problem since I started doing it.

Never was a problem and BKK immigration didn't make a mistake when they stamped my passport on my previous re-entry to Thailand. At the time I was confused as to what s/b the correct admit until date and asked the question for clarification. At that time I was still covered by the extension to stay that was valid until 16 Nov, 2015. BKK immigration was correct when they stamped my admit until date to coincide with my then current extension to stay valid until date. The confusion was on my part thinking the admit until date s/b for the new extension to stay valid until date, which while stamped in my passport but as I now understand doesn't come into effect until the old run runs out.

Pattaya immigration, in addition to being less than helpful, clearly gave me erroneous information as to my visa status. They were clearly at fault for not understanding their country's immigration rules and procedures and almost had me needlessly applying for a new visa.

.................................At that time I was still covered by the extension to stay that was valid until 16 Nov, 2015. BKK immigration was correct when they stamped my admit until date to coincide with my then current extension to stay valid until date. The confusion was on my part thinking the admit until date s/b for the new extension to stay valid until date, which while stamped in my passport but as I now understand doesn't come into effect until the old run runs out..........................................

Maybe I'm misunderstanding then, but I'm still confused about the quoted part above.

I always apply for my new Extension as far in advance as possible and one time I had 17 months ahead covered.

The new Extension runs from the end date of the old one and it's the new one you should present.

I have travelled out/in during such periods and I was concerned that they might only give me Date Until based on the previous Extension, so I always pointed out the new Extension and always got the Date Until based on that stamp.

My guess remains the same.   :WinkGrin1:

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Pattaya Immigration, they are ok when everything is cut copy paste same like before, but if you have a unique situation they are dumbfounded. 

Archived