IGNORED

Schwab debit card skimmed at SCB branch atm

Intrepidman

Just a heads up. Made a 7am ATM withdrawal at a SCB branch ATM up toward sriratcha. Upon review a couple additional withdrawals made same day and location subsequent at various locations. They got a bit under 60k bt. Appears all will be reimbursed on US bank. My biggest concern is having similar issue with my kasikorn card and having little to no hope for reimbursement.

On another note, ltgf lost 180k bt when someone set up internet banking on her behalf for her kasikorn account. Best I can tell she gave details on phone to a "bank employee". Took a 30k lawyer and 6 months but is now receiving 20k/mo to cover principle and legal costs or the prick goes to the monkey house. Bank provided recipient account details but that's it....

Be careful with Thai banking.

Yeah there is no protection with your kasikorn account. Always use ATMS in a bank if possible and check the keypad if it comes off and hide your pin.

Very true!  I only keep 2-3 weeks worth on cash in my Thai bank account at any time and I have lived here 5 years.  I have zero confidence in a Thai bank reimbursing my account if their is a security issue on their part or if my card is skimmed.  I had my US card skimmed once and all the bank where it happened could say was "Oh no not another one".  They had so many people being ripped off at that location that they replaced all of their ATM machines at this branch and kept a security guard watching the machines for a long time.

Made a 7am ATM withdrawal at a SCB branch ATM up toward sriratcha. 

Unclear from your wording, was this a standalone SCB machine, or at a physical bank branch?

Best advice is to only use ATMs attached to actual banks or in a secure location (inside a mall for example), not those 'on the street' or outside 7-11, etc.

Last trip, since I was staying at VT6, I did all my withdrawals from the ATM inside the SCB branch in Central Festival - in addition to the machine being inside a bank inside a mall, there was always a security guard within view which (I expect) deters any skimmer placement.

Obviously since you seemed to be out and about, best you could have done was test the machine by pulling on the card slider mechanism (to see if it was a skimmer) and covering up the keypad.  :Dunno:  Good thing you caught it later and will be reimbursed though.

Hard luck mate

I only use my ATM cards inside bank branches and thats not only in LOS, I'm just probably overly cautious though..

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

I got suckered by a phony ATM about 20 years ago in Connecticut. Since then I only use my ATM card at branch ATMs I am familiar with. I haven't drawn cash using my ATM from an ex-US bank in 20 years. If I need cash whilst abroad I draw from my back account using a teller at a bank branch that can manage the transfer.

If I was living abroad, I'd likely limit my ATM use to a few in-branch machines that I was very familiar with.

And I never use debit cards. They are less secure than a credit card.

The withdrawal was from a branch ATM. AFAIK schwab has me covered so not really a big deal other than dealing with it. Will stop in branch today to see what they say. I'm not currently a SCB customer so not expecting much love.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a Thai bank account but I think what I will do is open 2 accounts. 1 with ATM (that i use) and 1 to transfer money to. The transfer account will then also transfer money, online, to the ATM account.

“Style is when they're running you out of town and you make it look like you're leading the parade.â€

-- William Battie

I don't have a Thai bank account but I think what I will do is open 2 accounts. 1 with ATM (that i use) and 1 to transfer money to. The transfer account will then also transfer money, online, to the ATM account.

Not a bad idea. Although I don't live full time in Thailand I did always have a fair chunk of money sitting in my ATM account, with all these stories and expecting no back up from Kasikorn if the worst happens, I now have very little in my ATM account at any given time.

You can pay a small fee to set up an alert with Kasikorn Bank to get an SMS anytime there is activity on your bank account.  I even got and SMS when a few baht in interest was added.  It does not stop money being taken but you will know after the first withdrawal and you can limit how much can be taken on each ATM withdrawal.

The Russian scammers are now starting to bribe ATM technicians in places like Mexico to install a Bluetooth skimmer that allows them to grab your card details wirelessly.

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

Archived