Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mcbook Air or an IPad?

chang beer

Jojo just wrote that Mcbook Air are more versatile. The reason I was planning on getting an IPad is because IPads were more versatile than a regular laptops I thought.....

"I'd say for the price of an iPad with decent storage just get the new MacBook Air, way more versatile and about as big! "

"I'd also vote for the MacBook Air. I've the 11" model and it's perfect for me. About the same form factor as the iPad yet far more versatile for doing actual work. "

Able to do things exactly like a laptop as long as you hook up a keyboard and able to use the touch screen so I thought on an IPAD........NO?

An I missing something here?

thanx

chang

Able to do things exactly like a laptop as long as you hook up a keyboard and able to use the touch screen so I thought on an IPAD........NO?

An I missing something here?

........NO.

An iPad is primarily a media consumption device, and a light productivity device if necessary. It's an adjunct to and complements having a 'real' computer (desktop or notebook) which is much more flexible.  

If your use case is internet browsing, watching videos/listening to music, and maybe some word processing away from a main computer, an iPad may be okay.  If you're looking to have one computing device, go for one of the MacBooks first.

Apple will keep playing their games and giving a little bit with new models regularly, while withholding important features.

The new iPad Pro ( available this month) will be awesome but 13 inches....similar to MacBookPro 13 screen.

And sure you can get a keyboard (wireless).

Then there's the iPad Air 2 which will be upgraded in 6 months.

Then the mini iPad Air (recently released).

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I have the old ipad2. As well as a MacPro.

I love the iPad. But it will NEVER do all the things the MacBook Pro will. But it does a lot of things better!

Nowadays I use the iPad more, as I need the laptop less for work .

For travel I take my iPad.

I was going to get the 'new iPad Air' yesterday. But I don't need a 13" screen on the iPad.

All about personal preferences and usage. You'll need to do your homework.

Ah yes. Then the choice of wireless/ cellular.

If you choose cellular...like your iPhone.....you can't use the same SIM card on your 'iPad' and 'iPhone'...another bummer.

Good luck.

I can't wait for the iPad Pro. Was at Siam Paragon yesterday but they said it wouldn't be available until next month. I'm still using an iPad 1, which has some problems with HTML5, so I really need an upgrade and I'm excited about the larger display. I rarely use my Google Nexus 7 because I can't read on it comfortably. But for productivity, I still use a PC.

Retired

To the OP - how about just telling us what it is you seek to do on the device, and then it will be easier to suggest what is best for you?

For me, I use my iPad for 90% of what I would have used my MacBook Pro for, but there are still cases where the MacBook Pro is better or easier. It all depends on what you do.

If you choose cellular...like your iPhone.....you can't use the same SIM card on your 'iPad' and 'iPhone'...another bummer.

I don't understand what you tried to say there? You certainly can use the same SIM card on your iPad, but why would you want to (plus, it depends on the carrier providing the SIM card).

The MacBook Air and the iPad are two different animals.  What you should do is look at them at tools, what are your needs?  If your building a house you need a framing hammer and a drywall hammer.  Both of them are hammers and "can" do the same job, but one is better than the other for a specific job.

So as DaffyDuck said...what are you going to be using the device for?

I prefer the OSX operating system to the iPad's iOS , also having  Retina display is  a very big thing for me ,the Macbook Air doesn't have Retina , so I would choose a 13" MacBook Pro.

Hi. I intend to use the devise to write email,surf the net,write to the forum such as this,watch youtube and perhaps streaming video and watch my own films I have on my external hard drive and do some editing on videos I shoot. 

Just sick and tired of hauling and lugging my stupid ass 17.5 laptop that weighs a ton in my back pack as I have traveled to 5 countries back and forth in the last 2 years.....

thanx

chang

Hi. I intend to use the devise to write email,surf the net,write to the forum such as this,watch youtube and perhaps streaming video and watch my own films I have on my external hard drive and do some editing on videos I shoot. 

Just sick and tired of hauling and lugging my stupid ass 17.5 laptop that weighs a ton in my back pack as I have traveled to 5 countries back and forth in the last 2 years.....

thanx

chang

In that case I would recommend the iPad Pro. Will be great for your usage requirements, especially with 13" screen and stylus.

Just bring your hard drive. Editing movies is easy on iPads.

Cheers,

H888

I don't understand what you tried to say there? You certainly can use the same SIM card on your iPad, but why would you want to (plus, it depends on the carrier providing the SIM card).

Hi DD.

Apple people told me that I need two separate SIM cards. 1 for my iPhone. 1 for a cellular iPad and they must be different numbers,irrespective of the carrier(in Australia).

Doesn't make sense to me either, as my iPhone's unlocked and I use a Thai SIM card in Thailand with no problems.

Cheers,

H888

Hi DD.

Apple people told me that I need two separate SIM cards. 1 for my iPhone. 1 for a cellular iPad and they must be different numbers,irrespective of the carrier(in Australia).

Doesn't make sense to me either, as my iPhone's unlocked and I use a Thai SIM card in Thailand with no problems.

Cheers,

H888

You can set up a personal hotspot and tether your iPad to your phone. You then don't need a SIM in your iPad.

It's what I did in Pattaya this Summer.

I bought a SIM for my phone with unlimited data and the iPad worked through this.

No issues - and I'm not very good at this tech stuff!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thought I'd hijack the thread for a minute..........

As I said, I'm not very good at this tech stuff!

1. How do you connect a hard drive to the iPad? No USB connections etc???

2. Can you download a video from a website/APP ( eg YouTube) onto an iPad? I know there's software for laptops are there APPS that do it on iPad?

Thanks.

davidge, good question I am also curious to know how. Also how to connect ipad to a printer in an internet shop if you need a hard copy

davidge, good question I am also curious to know how. Also how to connect ipad to a printer in an internet shop if you need a hard copy

You need a wi-fi printer to print at home.

In the Kodak shop in Jomtien I had to email them my boarding card for them to print it for me.

Just realised my first question was daft! The charging cable has a USB on one end so I guess you just plug that into a hard drive!

Told you I was no good at this stuff :-)

Now...best APP for video capture? Recommendations, kind sirs??

You can't just plug a USB drive into your iPad - for starters, it won't be able to power the hard drive, but even if it could, an iPad is not set up to use an external USB drive (it won't recognize it). You either need a wifi drive, or an adapter that turns your hard drive into a wireless one.

iPad will print to many (but not all) wireless printers - they need to support a feature called 'AirPrint'. Otherwise, as suggested, just email the document to the print shop.

Hi DD.

If you want to use both devices simultaneously in digest locations, you'd need two SIM cards - that is true. Otherwise, if your iPhone will always be close to your iPad, then just turn on the personal hotspot feature on the iPhone, and your iPad hooks up to it, sharing the single connection on your iPhone.

TRUE, in Thailand, offers a pre-paid plan with an extra SIM for your iPad that uses a single data plan - ie your iPhone gets a certain amount of data, and both iPhone and iPad use from that data pool. This also requires you have a separate SIM card.

Either way, if buying an iPad, it's always smarter to buy the one with cellular option, even if you'd only soaringly use it - because when you need it (not if) you'll be glad you have the option.

Thought I'd hijack the thread for a minute..........

As I said, I'm not very good at this tech stuff!

1. How do you connect a hard drive to the iPad? No USB connections etc???

2. Can you download a video from a website/APP ( eg YouTube) onto an iPad? I know there's software for laptops are there APPS that do it on iPad?

Thanks.

You'll need a wifi enabled hard drive. Or mount it to a network connecteddevice and connect that way.

Not really sure about the video downloading. I don't think it's intuitive. I prefer doing this from the terminal in Mac OS, so not an option on the iPad. You can view and cut/paste the source file from the website code within Safari, but it requires a bit of work on your end and not as easy as a couple of taps on a button here and there.

For working on large documents, connecting through VPN tunnels, accessing data on storage media, etc - I prefer the MacBook Air.

Thanks for all the replies.

Know where I am with hard drive now anyway.

I'll have to keep looking as to video downloads.

I found one App that does it by acting as a browser but really wanted something that could capture from within Apps. Maybe it's not possible.

If you want to capture video, the MacBook is your best bet - there are safari plugins that automate this for you.

Haven't seen any easy way on the iPad for that.

If you want to capture video, the MacBook is your best bet - there are safari plugins that automate this for you.

Haven't seen any easy way on the iPad for that.

Lots of apps for video capture for iPads...

image.jpg

None reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have tried them all...good call.

I think most of those Apps allow you to capture video from the iPad camera rather than download those you view on web or through Apps such as YouTube?

Archived