IGNORED

First timer in Pattaya

getudachoppa

Hi guys, New to the forum and excited for my first time trip to Pattaya.

Read through a lot of the threads and still need some advice.

Im coming with a group of 4-6 and we are planning to get 3 rounds of golf in while in pattaya for 6 days early March.

I read that some ppl recommend going to a golf society.  But does that advice go to groups as well?  How does it play out?  Shotgun start? or we wait for each group to tee off?  Depending on how many 4 somes, this could take a while.

We're just looking for something for best value for the money courses.  Would love to play Siam but its out of our price range.

So should we book directly with the golf courses and find our own transportation or book with a golf agency such as thaigergolf or golfasian?   4 of us will be bringing our own clubs and will need a van of some sort.

Lastly, how busy are the golf courses in March?  Do we need to prebook our tee times before arriving or can we just wait to book when we get there?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

March is generally the start of the low season so no need to book tee times until you arrive - plus unless you want to tee off very early you will get a better idea of which groups are playing which courses to either join or avoid depending on which way you go.

If 6 of you then you will need a small van so that will cost you about 1800-2400 baht a day dependant on distance of courses. 4 of you will be a squeeze in a car with driver and price not much cheaper. If you play through a bar transport is around the 300 baht per person level. Not sure what price TL or golfasian charge for transport or arranging fees.

To choose your courses check the Pattaya Sports Club prices - www.pattayasports.org/golf/golfrates/ Bear in mind depending on the season they have had March prices are likely to be similar possibly with more deals.

Pick the courses your interested in playing...Most golf shops have Maps of where the courses are...Book once your here...Hire a Baht Bus to carry you and pick you up OR go to any of the golf Bars which there are Many and talk to them..They either own Vans or hire a driver that knows the courses....

March is still busy for Golfers so plan accordingly..

Value for Money and I have played them All...Treasure Hill--Rated the 5th Hardest------Emerald disigned by Faldo and stop off at the Ban Chang bars on your return to pattaya....Navy called Putaluang 36 Hole course and not easy..Best Value here for the Money....Mountain Shawdow an Old Mango Plantation with Beautiful settings....

25 Courses to choose from but Enjoy yourself

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Fyi...I brought my clubs to my first trip to patts....never took them out the room... I still laugh about that to this day...never took them out of the travel bag..lol

Thanks for all the advice. Will wait for the march pattayasports rates to come out

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. Will wait for the march pattayasports rates to come out

if you are only playing 3 games of golf,the golden ferret golf society is probably your best bet,you just roll up and play,you can store your clubs (free of charge)on the premises,put your name on the board the day before,or ring peter,

Address:

Pattaya New Plaza (opposite Soi 8 ) 2nd Road, Pattaya 

Pattaya,Chon Buri,20150, Thailand

Phone: 038 720 915

Mobile:+66 087 815 0433

My advice would be to contact Thaigerline golf. Run by Fabien and his wife Kik, they have been around for years and their customer service is second to none.

Thai-Ger Line Golf

They will offer you 2 options:

a) Just join in with their daily golf trips (1,800 THB for most courses) mini bus leaves Thaigerline HQ soi choiapoon (near LK Metro at 9 am and then again at 11 am);

b) Go with a group package (this is a standard one, but he can tailor it to your requirements):

3-Round Golf Package

• Laem Chabang Golf Course
  • Khao Kheow Country Club
  • Greenwood Golf and Resort

2 Persons 3-4 Persons 5-6 Persons 7-8 Persons 9,700.- 8,800.- 8,200.- 7,600

Rates include:
Transfers from / to hotel in A/C Van, Green-Fees, Caddy-Fees,
Laem Chabang including carts.
Golf on Weekday only.

Hope the above helps....golf in Pattaya is fantastic!

Im coming with a group of 4-6 and we are planning to get 3 rounds of golf in while in pattaya for 6 days early March.

I read that some ppl recommend going to a golf society.  But does that advice go to groups as well?  How does it play out?  Shotgun start? or we wait for each group to tee off?  Depending on how many 4 somes, this could take a while.

We're just looking for something for best value for the money courses.  Would love to play Siam but its out of our price range.

So should we book directly with the golf courses and find our own transportation or book with a golf agency such as thaigergolf or golfasian?   4 of us will be bringing our own clubs and will need a van of some sort.

Lastly, how busy are the golf courses in March?  Do we need to prebook our tee times before arriving or can we just wait to book when we get there?  

No shotgun starts. The bars I've played with have booked starting times and generally average around 16-30 players or so. That's only about an hour's worth of tee times so your wait shouldn't be bad. I haven't played with a lot of them so you should ask how many players they usually have.

Most bars run a "comp" (competition). It's usually a Stableford competition. You do NOT have to be in the comp and you should have a USGA handicap if you want to be in it.

They would most likely let you guys play together as 1 4-some or 2 3-somes. If 3-somes they will generally have a single to play with you. Most places have club rentals.

If you play with a bar the typical greens fee is somewhere between $30-$50. Carts are $20. Caddie are $10 and most guys tip the caddie another $10. Bus transport is $10 and the comp fee is another $6. All-in it's from $86-$106. You can walk a lot of the course so $20 can be saved there. You MUST take a caddie however.

All things considered Siam probably wouldn't be THAT much more expensive than some of the other trips. IIRC Siam comes in around $125 (All IN) not including transport but you must be brought in by a member. Not sure if you can get on Siam without a member but if you can I expect it'd definitely be out of your price range.

Best value courses - Greenwood and Pattavia Century are 2 courses I like. Good tests and lower pricing. Khao Kheow is another excellent course. Played Phoenix Gold the other day for the first time and it's a very nice course too - also closest to Pattaya proper.

One last thing. You get the bar discounted rate only if you are a PSC (Pattaya Sports Club) member. $12 initiation fee and $15 one year membership fee.

Having said that, the first couple of times I came to Pattaya and played with a bar, we all go to the cashier as a group and they simply/automatically gave everyone the same rate. Nobody asked to see the PSC membership card.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Sorry but you are having a laugh aren't you -

All things considered Siam probably wouldn't be THAT much more expensive...........

Taking current rates in baht (exchange rates can change so quickly lol) Siam will cost you 3,250 plus 450 caddy fee plus 750 cart so 4,450 plus your tip. Playing as a members guest will save you maybe 700 baht (I used to play there as a guest but not for a couple of years).

Compare that to Greenwood which you mentioned and its 1,150 for green fee, caddy and cart at the moment with other good value specials at Pattana, Treasure Hill and Bangpra still under 2,000 baht all in.

Your right if you compare to Laem Chabang, Burapha or St Andrews but you would still be saving 500-1000 baht per round.

On the subject of playing through bars if you want friendly and non competitive try Witherspoons with no onus on staying afterwards if you want to do other things :GoldenSmile1:

No shotgun starts. The bars I've played with have booked starting times and generally average around 16-30 players or so. That's only about an hour's worth of tee times so your wait shouldn't be bad. I haven't played with a lot of them so you should ask how many players they usually have.

Most bars run a "comp" (competition). It's usually a Stableford competition. You do NOT have to be in the comp and you should have a USGA handicap if you want to be in it.

They would most likely let you guys play together as 1 4-some or 2 3-somes. If 3-somes they will generally have a single to play with you. Most places have club rentals.

If you play with a bar the typical greens fee is somewhere between $30-$50. Carts are $20. Caddie are $10 and most guys tip the caddie another $10. Bus transport is $10 and the comp fee is another $6. All-in it's from $86-$106. You can walk a lot of the course so $20 can be saved there. You MUST take a caddie however.

All things considered Siam probably wouldn't be THAT much more expensive than some of the other trips. IIRC Siam comes in around $125 (All IN) not including transport but you must be brought in by a member. Not sure if you can get on Siam without a member but if you can I expect it'd definitely be out of your price range.

Best value courses - Greenwood and Pattavia Century are 2 courses I like. Good tests and lower pricing. Khao Kheow is another excellent course. Played Phoenix Gold the other day for the first time and it's a very nice course too - also closest to Pattaya proper.

One last thing. You get the bar discounted rate only if you are a PSC (Pattaya Sports Club) member. $12 initiation fee and $15 one year membership fee.

Having said that, the first couple of times I came to Pattaya and played with a bar, we all go to the cashier as a group and they simply/automatically gave everyone the same rate. Nobody asked to see the PSC membership card.

Thanks so much.  Exactly what i was looking for.

Last question, do i need to still go with a society to get the discount? or can i just purchase the PSC membership and fly solo?  30 people or 8 groups is a long wait and with a limited stay, want to play and "play" efficiently

Taking current rates in baht (exchange rates can change so quickly lol) Siam will cost you 3,250 plus 450 caddy fee plus 750 cart so 4,450 plus your tip. Playing as a members guest will save you maybe 700 baht (I used to play there as a guest but not for a couple of years).

Compare that to Greenwood which you mentioned and its 1,150 for green fee, caddy and cart at the moment with other good value specials at Pattana, Treasure Hill and Bangpra still under 2,000 baht all in.

Your right if you compare to Laem Chabang, Burapha or St Andrews but you would still be saving 500-1000 baht per round.

On the subject of playing through bars if you want friendly and non competitive try Witherspoons with no onus on staying afterwards if you want to do other things :GoldenSmile1:

Thank you!  Will definitely check out Witherspoons as several guys do not have a USGA handi setup and we'd like to just bet amongst ourselves although we have no objection with meeting a great group of guys.

As for the golf societies it is a day out thing and just as much as a social thing as it is golf.

Roll up in morning travel out chat to some blokes have a game go have a beer and head back to the bar for a few more.

Sure as shit it eats in to your day but you are usually free by 2-3pm anyway which is plenty of time to get out and get massage ST or whatever you fancy

No, not "having a laugh" at all. I said Siam is not that much more expensive than SOME of the other courses.

He asked for value so I gave him Greenwood.

He also specifically asked about Siam. So according to you Siam is 3700 Bht (as a member's guest)

Rayong Green Valley (IN season as he's not here right now) - 2100 including cart, 300 transport fee, 200 comp fee, 400 caddie tip - total 3000 Bht.

Difference 700 Bht, about $21 USD - As I said, not THAT much more expensive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks so much.  Exactly what i was looking for.

Last question, do i need to still go with a society to get the discount? or can i just purchase the PSC membership and fly solo?  30 people or 8 groups is a long wait and with a limited stay, want to play and "play" efficiently

I'm pretty sure you can join PSC for 900 Bht (about $26 USD) individually and get the discount without joining any of the bars' outings.

when im in patts i play 3 times per week.

play out of phantom bar at soi buakhao.

they are well run, frienly guys, store your clubs and provide supper when you come back.

if its a 1 off you probably wont have to join the Pattaya sports club

more about them and others here.

http://pattayasports.org/news/psc-golf-bar-news/

As for the golf societies it is a day out thing and just as much as a social thing as it is golf.

Roll up in morning travel out chat to some blokes have a game go have a beer and head back to the bar for a few more.

Sure as shit it eats in to your day but you are usually free by 2-3pm anyway which is plenty of time to get out and get massage ST or whatever you fancy

In my experience, you not back till  4-5pm. Say Meet bar at 8.00 and leave 8.30. Arrive 9.30. Tee off 10 ish. Finish 2 ish. Shower and on course beer and back on bus for around 3.00. back in Patts after 4pm +. No big deal, but it does eat up most of your day. 

G'day mate, I'm coming into this thread a bit late, been away and not logged on for 6 weeks. 

Just adding my 2 cents worth even though already most posts have given you plenty of good advice.

I've done 13 golf trips to Pattaya...and believe me, once you've done one you will be planning your next one as you walk off the last green. My 1st trip was going to be a 

"one off" now I do 2 a year.

I travel with 3 mates, we used to pay a golf company to transport us and arrange our golf but we were being shafted so now we do our own thing.

We joined the Pattaya sports Club and you can get your rates schedule from their office or print it from the website. we try and pick courses which have a discount or "sports" day to keep costs down. We avoid Siam, Siam Plantation and Siam Waterside. Our one "treat" is to play Laem Chabang, IMHO the best course there....and sometimes you can even get a reduced rate there as well.

We have an excellent taxi lady who picks us up at 7.30am (we like to get out early) and we book our golf for 8.30 to 9.00 am starts. The driver waits until we're finished and takes us back to our hotel.  If you use this lady with 6 guys you will have to request a minivan which seats about 8.

So, as you can see, we do our own thing, we always have an absolute blast, the caddies are a delight and make the whole experience just amazing. We're finished no later than 1.00pm, we shower and lunch at the golf club (very cheap) and are back in Pattaya mid afternoon for a relaxing massage.

For dollar value and excellent courses try Khao Kheow, Mountain Shadow, Emerald , Navy , Burapha....and Laem Chabang simply for a quality world class course.

Enjoy!!

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

G'day mate, I'm coming into this thread a bit late, been away and not logged on for 6 weeks. 

Just adding my 2 cents worth even though already most posts have given you plenty of good advice.

I've done 13 golf trips to Pattaya...and believe me, once you've done one you will be planning your next one as you walk off the last green. My 1st trip was going to be a 

I travel with 3 mates, we used to pay a golf company to transport us and arrange our golf but we were being shafted so now we do our own thing.

We joined the Pattaya sports Club and you can get your rates schedule from their office or print it from the website. we try and pick courses which have a discount or "sports" day to keep costs down. We avoid Siam, Siam Plantation and Siam Waterside. Our one "treat" is to play Laem Chabang, IMHO the best course there....and sometimes you can even get a reduced rate there as well.

We have an excellent taxi lady who picks us up at 7.30am (we like to get out early) and we book our golf for 8.30 to 9.00 am starts. The driver waits until we're finished and takes us back to our hotel.  If you use this lady with 6 guys you will have to request a minivan which seats about 8.

So, as you can see, we do our own thing, we always have an absolute blast, the caddies are a delight and make the whole experience just amazing. We're finished no later than 1.00pm, we shower and lunch at the golf club (very cheap) and are back in Pattaya mid afternoon for a relaxing massage.

For dollar value and excellent courses try Khao Kheow, Mountain Shadow, Emerald , Navy , Burapha....and Laem Chabang simply for a quality world class course.

Enjoy!!

Superb post....golf in Patts is simply the best!

• 1 month later...

We have an excellent taxi lady who picks us up at 7.30am (we like to get out early) and we book our golf for 8.30 to 9.00 am starts. The driver waits until we're finished and takes us back to our hotel. If you use this lady with 6 guys you will have to request a minivan which seats about 8.

Enjoy!!

Thx for the awesome response. Would u mind giving me contact info of your taxi you use and price?

Thx for the awesome response. Would u mind giving me contact info of your taxi you use and price?

No worries...PM sent to you

• 2 weeks later...

Me too please.

Thanks

no probs James but it will have to be tomorrow

Archived