IGNORED

Trying to buy a ticket via EVA air

JamesFerris

Greetings all.  I'm trying to buy a ticket for my second trip via EVA air from NYC to Bangkok.  

The problem: under additional passenger info where it asks for passport info and such, it demands a travel visa number, date and place of issue, etc.

I have no such visa - I'm coming from the USA and should be exempt, staying less than 30 days.  I don't recall this being an issue on my last flight via Cathay.. am I missing something obvious?  There's no way to buy the ticket without filling in this information.  Do I need to go hit up the consulate or something ?

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Cheers

JF

Always happy to help a fellow monger :)  Stay safe & healthy gentlemen!!!  :hello09:

I would call them and book over the phone. That does not sound right as long as you are buying a return within 30 days.

I bought my ticket on line from Houston to BKK with no problems.

Just leave the travel visa section blank.

Passport (which you should have) is mandatory, but visa information isn't. So you can just leave visa information blank.

you are not booking one way are you?

i think travelling with no visa intending to claim 30 day visa exemption requires a return/ flight out ticket so eva may be windy.

Tried again this AM, and lo and behold, visa is no longer required.  Huzzah!  

Managed to get round trip from JFK -> Taipei -> Bangkok and return flight for $771 total - not bad, considering I paid around 803 last year to fly with Cathay Pacific.   It seems as though I could have spent less by flying China Eastern or Southern but reading reports on PA dissuaded me.  

Hopefully EVA air matches the standard set by Cathay - I've heard generally good things, hoping for the best on my 16 hour brutal trip across the pacific.

Big big thank you to those who replied and helped out.  It's much appreciated.

Perhaps I'll see some of you this coming January :)  

Much love!  

JF

Always happy to help a fellow monger :)  Stay safe & healthy gentlemen!!!  :hello09:

I have a different question for you: I also checked out Eva for jfk-Taiwan and noticed they're offering wifi on this flight. However my friend flew the same route a month ago and they didn't have wifi then. I wonder if it changed. If you can please post here after your trip your experience. It's a deal breaker for me.

I have a different question for you: I also checked out Eva for jfk-Taiwan and noticed they're offering wifi on this flight. However my friend flew the same route a month ago and they didn't have wifi then. I wonder if it changed. If you can please post here after your trip your experience. It's a deal breaker for me.

You know..  for the life of me, I can't find anywhere on my itinerary where it mentions it.  I feel as though when I used google flights to check for this route before, they DID mention wifi on the JFK -> TAIPEI leg, but no wifi on the TAIPEI -> BKK leg.  Not sure where to check that out.

I'll be happy to let you know - but I'm not leaving till December 31st :)

I'm flying China Southern, I know but was cheap anyway it stops in China do I need a visa for this?

A SMART MONKEY IS A MONKEY THAT DOESN'T MONKEY WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY.

Tried again this AM, and lo and behold, visa is no longer required. Huzzah!

Managed to get round trip from JFK -> Taipei -> Bangkok and return flight for $771 total - not bad, considering I paid around 803 last year to fly with Cathay Pacific. It seems as though I could have spent less by flying China Eastern or Southern but reading reports on PA dissuaded me.

Hopefully EVA air matches the standard set by Cathay - I've heard generally good things, hoping for the best on my 16 hour brutal trip across the pacific.

Big big thank you to those who replied and helped out. It's much appreciated.

Much love!

JF

In case it matters to you, at that fare class you do not earn miles.

For a couple hundred more I find it worthwhile to buy the fare class that earns my 20k miles.

In case it matters to you, at that fare class you do not earn miles.

For a couple hundred more I find it worthwhile to buy the fare class that earns my 20k miles.

I earn 50% miles.  Class Q.  But it doesn't really matter much to me - this will be my second time traveling ever (first time was of all places, to Pattaya :) ) and the miles expire after 3 years as I understand, so I doubt I'll be able to put them to much use anyhow - too busy with life.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with myself for a month in Thailand.. I need to make some goals.  Maybe shag a girl from each Soi 6 bar, now that Pook's is torn down..

If you like to travel, collecting miles and points can be fun! I will be doing business class next trip for FREE! That's like a $5000 ticket.

If you get bored, take a trip to one of the islands or even spend some time in BKK!

JamesF. I've used Eva air 3/4 times. I fly the lax/tpe/Bkk route with usually 60 min layover

You will find TPE extremely easy to navigate through transit. Go through transit security, up the escalated then usually to C concourse . Not a lot of eating options though ..

Wifi is typically offered on their 777-300 flights it's expensive , but I found their IFe system really good. They offer good selection of movies, some which are still in theaters

Food is just ok. You get dinner and breakfast. They do provide unlimited alcohol .. If you're flying the 777-300 beware of the IFE systems boxes on the isle seats. They can fuck up your leg stretching ability

Overall EVA has been very prompt , boarding goes smoothly too ...

I'm flying China Southern, I know but was cheap anyway it stops in China do I need a visa for this?

Generally speaking, no.  Travelers connecting through 15 cities in mainland China get a 72 hour Visa-free transit period.

China Southern almost always connects through Guangzhou, which is on the list of cities, so you should be fine (assuming you're not planning to spend more than 72 hours in Guangzhou!)

As I have stated in other threads, my experience on China Southern was favorable, and I am flying them again in about 10 days....BUT I was in business class (and am again).

FWIW, here are the 15 cities with the 72 hour visa-free transit period:

Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Harbin, Shenyang, Dalian, Xian, Guilin, Kunming, Wuhan, Xiamen, Tianjin and Hangzhou

Tried again this AM, and lo and behold, visa is no longer required.  Huzzah!  

Managed to get round trip from JFK -> Taipei -> Bangkok and return flight for $771 total - not bad, considering I paid around 803 last year to fly with Cathay Pacific.   It seems as though I could have spent less by flying China Eastern or Southern but reading reports on PA dissuaded me.  

Big big thank you to those who replied and helped out.  It's much appreciated.

Much love!  

JF

I can only speak to business class -- EVA's seat was very similar in design to Cathay's, but, to the best of my recollection, Cathay had better food.

I also think that EVA does NOT have first class -- just business, premium economy and economy (but with EVA's designation/name for each).  Cathay first class is off-the-charts expensive, but an AMAZING experience.  As good as Cathay's business class is, it cannot even hold a candle to their first class service.  I had forgotten, but just noticed that my flight booked for next February is in first class, not business, so I got that going for me (November trip is biz class).

As nickatnight mentioned, playing the frequent flier miles game can be fun and lucrative -- I hardly ever earn miles by actual flights (less than 5,000 a year), but get them by credit card sign up bonuses, and other means.  Those next 2 Cathay trips -- 1 RT in biz and 1 RT in first -- set me back 280,000 miles, but I'm still sitting on hundred of thousands of available miles.

Leave Visa space blank. Not needed

Archived