IGNORED

Swampy queue's

Baxidar ba

In 2014 i paid £255 for a upgrade to bussiness class on the Abu Dhabi leg to BKK. Even that I thought was too much lol

Although it was nice for the experience.

Vincent Law

WTF is a "flag lemming"?

Chinese tour group member obediently following the flag carrying tour leader

I never knew there was a 2nd immigration area, if it's chocca I'll carry straight on & try to find this 2nd area. Probably get lost & end up back where I started though.

I never knew there was a 2nd immigration area, if it's chocca I'll carry straight on & try to find this 2nd area. Probably get lost & end up back where I started though.

Hit or miss too. Last time I landed at 8am, both immigration areas were packed. Took less than an hour. Entered at the very end of lines roped off, almost at entry to immigration.

I arrived at Bangkok early morning normly a busy time for European flights on August 20th at 6.15am,

Very surprised only waited for 10 minutes at immigration and the wait for my baggage was longer.

Some days it's busy other not so swings and roundabouts i'm afraid.

Ok so landed Monday 8am, luckily was seated in row 60, so pretty close to the front. Took taylor1975's & hauled ass. Never used the mechanical walkways & took over everyone, queues were about 5 deep, cleared it in 15 mins. & what do you know my suitcase was 1st off the plane. I'd booked my bell bus ticket for 8:35. 10am bus, so freshened up & grabbed a bite to eat. Was in my room on soi Buakahow by 12pm.

Landed at 11am Sunday.  First que line was snaked up about in half of roped areas.  Quickly made it to lady checking Passports and immigration documents.   Was finished in about 20 minutes.  Got a little money, reached baggage and found my bags within 2 minutes.  Very fast this time.

If you sit near the front of the plane in economy, you are not far behind biz class passengers anyway.

Plus I can run faster than all of them anyway.

Always go for the second immigration area!

Yes, but many business class passengers have fast track. Nearly zero wait every time going through the fast track lane for me.

Two words: business class (if you can do it)

You dont have to fly business just be in the top tier of most ff programs and you will get the express arrivals card in economy

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I arrived at 09:50 on 30 august. There were no queues whatsoever. Maybe I got lucky but was at the baggage belt within about 15 minutes of landing. Only downside was I'm sure my bag was the very last one out, had to wait 45 minutes for it.

I guess with previous experience of long queues at Immigration we never noticed how slow the baggage system is. But last two trips the long wait for bag was the only hold up.

That's the other reason to go business or first class. In addition to FastTrak you get priority luggage handling. 

FastTrak gets you through immigration in minutes. Priority Luggage makes your bag one of the first off the belt. It covers both of the major bottlenecks at Swampy.

And no I don't pay. I use points.

No, there IS something you can do about it

Bangkok Flight Services will enable you to go through Premium arrival/immigration line (same as business & first class passengers) for 850 baht.  

Link:  https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/PremiumAirportServices.php?our_menu=pr1

The Chinese tour groups do NOT head through these lines, so they are generally MUCH shorter.

Now....is it WORTH 850 baht?  That depends entirely upon you.

I usually arrive in business class (using airline miles), but came in on economy on a recent flight, since it was such a short flight.  Paid BFS 850 baht (didn't pay for the cart, but the girl showed up with it any way).  I was through immigration within minutes, but must have arrived at a "slow time" for arrivals, because virtually everyone from my plane was at the baggage carousel with me by the time the bags started coming out.

My thoughts/impressions:

- good service for someone like me who is incredibly impatient and hates waiting in long lines

- if you check bags, it may not actually save you much time, because it does NOTHING to speed up the bags coming off of the plane

- if you carry-on, it could be a God-send, as you're out the door in minutes, as opposed to possibly being stuck behind a Chinese tour group

It's a crap shoot on when those tour planes arrive.  I tried to search via a website and it looked like a bunch of planes were arriving the same time as mine, but -- as I said -- the immigration lines obviously weren't that bad.  

Would I use it again?  Probably.  Even though it didn't end up saving me much, if any, time, I HATE waiting in long lines with a passion, and starting my vacation off by being stuck behind hundreds of people in an immigration line would be excruciating to me.  Plus, I consider myself jinxed, so, if I didn't pay, I'm sure I would be stuck behind TWO Chinese tour groups!  555

Thanks for the advice. I usually fly to BKK from Shanghai on a 100 Dollar flight with Spring Airlines. As the airplane is full of - you guessed it - Chnese tour-groups, it can take hours to get through immigration when everyone in front of you needs to apply for the recently introduced visa-on-arrival for Chinese cititzens. 

ISTR that the second Immigration area is called Immigration 3 and you get to it by walking past Immigration 1 & Immigration 2 (VIP) - you will start to lose faith, but then see the sign (I think they're blue) far in the distance for Immigration 3.  

No guarantee of it being clear, but the odds of it being quieter than Immigration 1 are high.

However, as we're travelling as a 4some on this trip with a newbie couple, we're very temped by the cart/VIP from BFS

https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/PremiumAirportServices.php?our_menu=pr1

Thanks for the pointer

M&C xxx

Archived