Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

All American Restaurant. The Avenue

ALEXDELLARAY

Enough time ?

Guess so....................................., but will miss the place for it's food and the nice atmosphere.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my 100% Italian restaurant in LA, I served French Fries.  I tried not to do it, my chef got upset with me but I was losing a table of 4 since one had to have them, silly but why fight it.   I just made the best FF I could and sold them, a huge choice on a dinner plate

I go to the avenue often for a movie, and I always go with a Thai girl.  they dont like that food, and so we dont go.  I walk by it to get to the bottom every time.  I see many looking a the menu, many with their Thai girlfriend and leaving.

If you have high rent, and many places do, then you need customers to pay for it.  If you cut out half of your customer base you cannot make it.  Pretty simple

Baccara, for example, pays  a huge rent, but they are full....therefore they can afford it

I always love guys that never had a business telling someone how to run one, no clue.  You dont run it for yourself, but for everyone or you will be closed, just like this place

I guess you have a point, many Farangs would have baulked at paying the prices they charged for a companion as well as themselves, when the usual 30 baht plate of Khao Pat normally sufficed.

Had the ribs here last time and it was very nice. Little bit more expensive but I was the only customer fir about an hour, needs some hello welcome girls handing out flyers at the night market.

So in total, how long was it open?

It seems like they folded pretty quickly.

I really cant remember but it was there for a while, I was happy it opened but never went because of the Thai girl problem.  I would have gone every week

I went with my girlfriend all she could order was the salad and it took 40 min to a make a chicken salad we where the only ones there. Hopefully something better takes the space maybe a korean buffet or shabu which is poplar with the thais.

I went with my girlfriend all she could order was the salad and it took 40 min to a make a chicken salad we where the only ones there. Hopefully something better takes the space maybe a korean buffet or shabu which is poplar with the thais.

Good location for Hooters II

prices were simply too high in that place, and the Avenue location is a cursed one.

about a year i think

I really liked shenanigans there, good farang and Thai food.....just not run well

To throw in the towel after only 1 year shows the place must have really been losing it's ass. Not exactly what you'd call dedication.

Or something shady happened behind the scenes.

According to a post on facebook they had a rental agreement with a lower rent for the 1st year, that year was now up and rent reverted to the actual rate which is believed to be somewhere around 200 - 250k thb per month.

If true easy to see why the business could not continue.

The more the cash, the better the gash

Didn't they have a free beer promotion for the 4th of July? Place was packed so I guess plenty of people knew where it was.

I think that's a reasonable amount of time to determine viability.

I forget the statistics in the states but they were read out to me, many times by many people when I opened my first restaurant without having any experience.    I am guessing the numbers, long time ago but something like this, sure it can be googled

something like 80% of new restaurants  close within a year, and out of the ones left 50% close the next year.  Hard business and you got to be on top of everything

Hard to get a customer and easy to lose one.    They lost 20 meals from me by not having Thai food, in Thailand.

Despite its location if they were offering a consistently great product at a good price they would have been successful.

You gain a reputation from satisfied and dissatisfied customers.

The satisfied ones not only return but tell their friends, the dissatisfied ones though don't return and tell everyone.

The reviews for this place were very patchy so I didn't bother to try it last trip and I guess I was in the majority not bothering to see if was a good night or not.  .  

• 1 month later...

I really liked the place and was sad to see when they closed.  And yes, they did have some Thai dishes on the menu.  My wife would not have gone with me otherwise. :WinkGrin1:

I find the whole Avenue place rather odd. Couldn't work out if there's a main entrance or just the shops you see with doors to the outside or what??? Couldn't really be bothered to find out.

Good service in Starbucks but hardly worth going there just for that.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The Avenue is an odd place alright, there's a serious lack of signage and it's badly laid out, I went there for ages and never realised there was a supermarket. 

That restaurant's location failed on 2 previous occasions as Shenanigan's and The Acorn. The first problem is getting people to even look up to the 2nd floor where all they can see 24 hours/day is the reflection on the window. Some great live music has been made in there with nobody even knowing. I was half the audience on a few occasions.

The 2nd problem is the city bylaw that only permits staff to stand by the sidewalk up to 3 hours per day to hand out flyers or entice people up to the restaurant. 

Then there's all the other factors like more people seem attracted to British food (99 baht breakfast restaurants sell 100+ breakfasts every day) and the comically lack of social skills of the owner, Wes is already on his way back to America. If you had met him, you would understand.

After Acorn closed, the location sat empty for many years. 

11143556_10204611002902004_3038484936049941381_n.jpg

Cy6wVLWVIAEpCSn.jpg

Other than Villa Market, which carries a number of American food products not found anywhere else in town, the only thing that ever attracted me was the factory outlet stores like Adidas and Reebok. 

I thought it was funny at one point when there was an Adidas factory outlet store and then an actual Adidas store directly across from it. So you could go in the actual Adidas store and pay $120 for a pair of shoes, or go in the factory outlet Adidas only 20 feet away and get the same shoes for $30.

Other than Villa Market, which carries a number of American food products not found anywhere else in town, the only thing that ever attracted me was the factory outlet stores like Adidas and Reebok. 

I thought it was funny at one point when there was an Adidas factory outlet store and then an actual Adidas store directly across from it. So you could go in the actual Adidas store and pay $120 for a pair of shoes, or go in the factory outlet Adidas only 20 feet away and get the same shoes for $30.

The cinema is an attraction for me. I prefer Pepsi to Coke and the cinema at Central is a Coke domain.

Archived