IGNORED

La Taverna Del Passatore -- excellent casual Italian restaurant off Soi Buakhow

Kreggerz

In case you don't know about La Taverna Del Passatore already, I'd like to highly recommend this great little place.

Most of their customers are Italian but there don't seem to be as many Italians traveling to Pattaya lately. However,  the food is as good as ever.

The good news is you'll have no trouble getting a table. That might change as the winter season starts though. 

https://www.facebook.com/latavernadelpassatore

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4071799-Reviews-La_Taverna_del_Passatore-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

They have a full Italian menu except for pizza. The lady chef is from the Liguria region so sometimes Ligurian dishes are featured. Fresh seafood is often on special as well sourced from Naklua Market. The specials board is in Italian but you can google translate their facebook page or just ask what it is when you get there. 

The regular menu has every dish in English. 

Prices are moderate but definitely worth it. 

Pastas are generally 200 to 280.

Main dishes come with choice of a small side.

Bread is included with orders.

An after dinner shot like grappa or limoncello is also offered gratis. 

Pretty much everything is good and with the food, atmosphere, and Italian customers, you might just feel transported to Italy.

To find it from Soi Diana and Soi Buakhow, walk south on Soi Buakhow until you see the HOSPITAL on the left hand side. Opposite of the hospital, turn right and walk down the  soi where there is motorcycle repair business on the corner to the end of that soi. The restaurant is on the right. Dinner only. Closed Mondays. 

The guy usually gives a rundown of the specials board even if you've made your mind up already.

Even an Italian staple such as spaghetti bolognese tastes better than anything elsewhere in Pattaya, by a country kilometer in fact.  Even the bread is a treat.

Love the place. I eat there often, except during Songkran, as he goes home and I don't go out.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

we need a review with photos as soon as possible  :GoldenSmile1:

also a map showing the location from nixonsbest

Excellent maps on the place's location on the linked FB page.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I'm willing to give it a try, if they have fresh parmesan and black pepper grinder.

There are plenty of pictures on both of the links I posted.

They have a pepper mill but you have to ask for it. Not at table.

The cheese offered with pasta is pretty standard. 

It's not a fine dining venue. It's casual.  Sometimes you may even find a cat at your feet as in Roma. 

The only dishes that have been not great for me was the pasta puttanesca and the baked canneloni (on special sometimes.)

• 1 month later...

OK.

Sad to say I have some concerning news.

On this restaurant's facebook today a FOR SALE ad link has been posted.

I have no idea if this interest in selling is because business is down or other reasons, but it's not exactly a mystery that many restaurants have been struggling and closing due to changing tourist demographics.

Anyway, this is really a great restaurant and it won't be the same place with new owners and chef, so suggest enjoy it while you can. 

https://it-it.facebook.com/latavernadelpassatore

http://www.mollotutto.info/occasioni-immobiliari/60-ristorante-in-vendita-a-pattaya-thailandia

Location is a soi in front of Pattaya City Hospital

this is a true informal italian restaurant, there are plenty of good italian restaurant in Pattaya but Passatore is probaly the best in his category,..I mean the the category of informal places serving good and fresh food cooked at a fair price, by somebody that not only is italian but that also in Italy was a chef.

The chef is a woman from north Italy, the portions of the dishes are on the big size and for the ones familiar with Italy, this place is what italians call a Trattoria, a place where u are expected to eat just like at home...but cooked in a better way. The vast majority of customers are actually italians, including myself that I've eaten here at least 60 times but probably more...It is really a shame that the chef wants to go back to Italy, but in effect for a woman Pattaya can be boring after a few years. Good luck to the co-owner for a new and succesfull business, but sure all the italian comunity of mongers staying in the buakaow area will miss her food so much 

Well, the news of this little restaurant on sale spread quickly through the italian community pattaya-related on facebook and social forums, because of the good food and the familiar atmosphere. Reading what the lady chef writes on her fb page she got the decision because she needs a change of lifestyle even in the chance of a big spike in business… Anyway, it is still opened and serving delicious food, so…at least for now…Buon Appetito!

Well, the news of this little restaurant on sale spread quickly through the italian community pattaya-related on facebook and social forums, because of the good food and the familiar atmosphere. Reading what the lady chef writes on her fb page she got the decision because she needs a change of lifestyle even in the chance of a big spike in business… Anyway, it is still opened and serving delicious food, so…at least for now…Buon Appetito!

Thanks for that.

Can you mention other local Italian places that are good in their category? I don't know any that compare at all, so I'd like to hear.

• 6 months later...

There has been a change there.

Chef Laura has left town but the other Italian owner is still there and now cooking.

The menu has been pared down quite a bit and changed somewhat.

Some seating has been removed, presumably because the kitchen capacity is not up to high volume anymore.

There is no longer pesto on it ... so now I'm looking for another place that does good homemade pesto.

Some places here use stuff out of bottles ... yuck.

There are still usually daily specials but for now just one a day.

Location location location???????

in here between the mai thai motorcy shops......

dec 28 034 (Custom).JPG

may 22 014 (Custom).JPG

seen with the zoom from buakoaw, comes up on the right hand side

• 2 months later...

We had dinner there the other night. The place is still full of Italians and they do manage to do certain things right. pasta is cooked perfectly al dente, olive oil on the table, real Parmesan etc. House table white l wine was also very nice and reasonable at 300 baht for a 1/2 liter. Service is also good and the owner super friendly. You really get the feeling you are back in the Mediterranean.

Nevertheless, I was not all that impressed with the food.the Bruschetta were served on awful bread that fell apart as you bit into it. Home made salsice on bruschetta  was very strange and not at all cured. 

Meat ravioli with sage butter came without the sage, much to my friends disappointment and were pretty bland. 

My Amatriciana lacked the smokiness and depth of flavor you get when they use really good guanciale.

My lady friend's black ravioli with shrimp and smoked salmon were also pretty bland and the shrimp tasted kind of like they were  canned, as did the salmon filling of the raviolis. 

You kind of get the feeling they skimp on the ingredients in some of the dishes.

The rest of our crew had the grilled pork. Good but nothing extraordinary. 

Not sure I would repeat. But I am picky when it comes to Italian food as I grew up holidaying in the Mediterranean.

IMG_20160818_174706.jpg

IMG_20160818_174700.jpg

I was hoping someone would mention this restaurant again .

I've been there the last two nights and will be going back for more .

I may not know much about Italian food ,but this is good enough for me . Enough for me to try my hand at some Italian recipes at home .

Don't be to critical of the place it is what it is . A nice restaurant with a casual atmosphere.

The owner & staff ,very helpful.

Naturally, it isn't the same since the original Italian lady chef left.

So no it's isn't the remarkable gem it once was (never a high end gourmet place) but still within the Pattaya scene probably still worth checking out.

Sure. For Pattaya it is great. And atmosphere especially nice.

But I can do better on many of the dishes at home with ingredients from Villa market. 555

Sent from my ZTE T920 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I mentioned on another thread that I tried it, (La Taverna Del Passatore) yesterday, and was impressed. I appreciate the Facebook link. Beats having to walk past it to check out the daily specials. Now to find some more good pizza places. I know about Bronx Pizza, but a thicker crust would be a nice change up. 

I am astonished at how well I’m eating here, and for 300 baht or less usually. Today I had the special at Smokin’ Joes BBQ. A splendid half chicken with two sides. And the macaroni and cheese was great as well. Of course, the ribs are good, and what I usually get.

The food is NOT the reason I came to Pattaya. But it is a nice bonus.

It's a great place and was a great find last year on my 4th trip to Patts, the food is absolutely superb, although not cheap for Thailand, it is really cheap and as you say for under 300bh you have an absolute feast, I try to eat a diverse menu when away but sometimes you can't beat a bit of tried n trusted comfort food and believe me this place tick all the boxes !!

Truth in posting, on occasion I get a meal at La Taverna that isn't up to their usual level. Even sometimes the same dish that is usually very good. Never anything horrible though. If I got one of those off day meals on my first visit, I probably would assume it's not as good as it is. That happens sometimes. 

Archived