IGNORED

Videos Encryption and Micro SD Cards Questions!

mrboring37

1) Are there any pre made encrypted Micro SD cards out there so the product itself is encrypted from the "get go" w/o downloading encryption software to your own computer?

2) If i can't get a encrypted micro sd card then what is the best and "EASIEST" way to encrypt videos from a micro sd card  w/o putting the videos onto your own computer???  what do i use or purchase and how does a person do it...please provide details

I think that for the first thing to work the camera would need to be able to write to an encrypted drive. I have never heard of a camera capable of doing that.

If your aim is to stop someone close to you or customs from finding your videos you should look at a file storage service. If you want them encrypted before uploading them you can try VeraCrypt.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Never used veracrypt but the problem from my perspective  with veracrypt is  you have to download it to your computer to use it.......and it being free you don't get live support 24/7 how to use it CORRECTLY....

Never used veracrypt but the problem from my perspective  with veracrypt is  you have to download it to your computer to use it.......and it being free you don't get live support 24/7 how to use it CORRECTLY....

Why the aversion to having something on your computer? You can run Veracrypt from a USB drive.

It doesn't take a lot of reading to learn how to use it and once you have set up an encrypted file it is easy to use.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

To encrypt a video you have to have software that does the encryption for you. Imagine a coffee machine: you put water and coffee beans inside (your video and a very good password) and coffee comes out on the other side (your encrypted video).

Flash drives are only here to store data. In the example above the flash drive is the cup that holds your coffee, not the coffee machine.

This means, in any case you need to have software installed that does the encryption for you.

I hope this helps, from a high level point of view.

Just upload your pics/video to an encrypted cloud service like Dropbox before you leave LOS (or where ever).  Then delete everything on the micro-sd card before you land back in the US.  If you don't and customs agents want to know what's on that card, they're going to ask you to decrypt it and if you refuse, they can make your life very miserable.  As a reminder, you have no constitutional rights while in the airport customs zone, even as an American citizen.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

You could make password protected Rar archives, then email them in separate batches.

Years back I had a camera with a memory card that was partitioned, whenever someone opened my camera to review the pics they only saw what was on the 1st half of the partition, not knowing there was a 2nd half with pics.

My issue is not with the cloud.... that can be solved; ...get your own cloud!!!! My problem is the encryption part!!! i am trying to figure out how to get encryption "BEFORE" the videos are made w/o leaving any pieces of files on my computer or phone!!! BASICALLY HOW TO ENCRYPT THE MICRO SD CARD  without any of "MY computer or phone HARDWARE INVOLVED!!!!! Somehow and i don't know how but to maybe use a internet cafe instead of my computer!!! I have no idea how its going to be done.....I think in order to encrypt and decrypt videos  u have to have the software on your phone or computer to do so????...Correct me if i am wrong!!......    

Right now i have a regular external drive, own cloud and a new pc,  2 micro sd cards and i have no idea what to do!!! I might not even go on vacation.....it seems like a hassle and not worth it but i haven't been on a vacation in years.....thank you guys for answering me but the answers are either FUZZY, not detailed enough for the non techie, information overload, or just "HALF" right!. I understand there are many ways to skin a cat but i rather learn the proven best, most efficient and non complex ways to do it w/o compromising my hardware.......

and  btw with Dropbox i heard a lot of  "STORIES"  and let me leave it like that....

***also if i do use a outside cloud service or vpn i prefer to use my own double encryption and NOT just THEIRS!!!!!!

Short answer at the moment is NO,  there is not the market for this.  Canon did try this with the OSK-E3 but it didn't take off.  If you are making the video on an android device, they can encrypt the sd card as standard, but guessing you are not using an android phone and have concerns over having 'fragments' on a phone.

The question is itself technical so you are going to get technical answers and a Pattaya forum is probably not the best place for it, try posting it on a video/photography forum, look at the links i give below they would be my way of doing it if i had to and if its of interest post any questions on a ubunto forum, wouldn't state the reasons why, just you want to encrypt some files.

The 'easiest' answer is to film the video as normal and then using a usb mounted os for example ubunto on a stick running from your computer to do the encryption, nothing should then hit the computers hard drive and you could always stamp on the stick if it was a worry to destroy it, you could probably run it on a machine in your hotel or internet cafe if needed.

Encryption of data at any real security level is a relatively resource intensive process,  would need a good cpu and plenty of fast memory even then with throughput required for HD videos it would be challenging to do this in realtime resulting in an increase in cost for something most people wouldnt use.

In regards to drop box, cloud services et al basic premise of don't put anything on them that could get you in to trouble should be followed, they are great for sharing photos, odd document etc  but they all fall down at the weakest link, us, the soft squidgy bit, weak passwords, using the same password on multiple accounts, disgruntled employees, flaws in the software and the same goes for any internet facing private clouds.  At the very least use your own encryption software on everything personal something like truecrypt.

In case anyone is thinking it, no i am not a conspiracy nut, just had over 20 years experience of working in IT developing anything from basic systems to bespoke healthcare products used by thousands of people, so picked up a little on the way and while i like computers have caution about the average security setup.

....At the very least use your own encryption software on everything personal something like truecrypt.

Do not use Truecrypt as it is no longer being developed and no doubt has security flaws. The program that I suggested earlier (Veracrypt) builds on Truecrypt and is being developed.

Guys thanks for all your responses.. right now i am researching and looking at the possibilities...its becoming increasingly difficult because you have to do a lot of patchwork and not everything your told is 100 percent true

1) some people purposely mis-inform and  trying to trick you

2) some people are trying to be very helpful and informative but they been trained the wrong way to do things

3) some people know what to do but don't have the mental capabilities to explain it to others in a logical manner or the time to explain it completely....

keep giving ur open opinions.....

right now i am thinking of transferring maybe a encrypted  usb drive or encrypted external drive........ummm thinking thinking thinking....... be mindful a lot of devices  that are encrypted  "become" unencrypted when it leaves the encrypted device!!!!!!

Don't understand veracrypt or axcrypt that much

l

Do not use Truecrypt as it is no longer being developed and no doubt has security flaws. The program that I suggested earlier (Veracrypt) builds on Truecrypt and is being developed.

Sorry yes you are correct it was last year i looked into it, things move on so quickly.

I am stepping away from this thread not sure what the op wants or is trying to achieve on one hands says he needs it explaining to someone with no technical knowledge and then writes his last post basically stating that everyone who has posted is wrong or doesn't have the mental capabilities to explain.

I am stepping away from this thread not sure what the op wants or is trying to achieve on one hands says he needs it explaining to someone with no technical knowledge and then writes his last post basically stating that everyone who has posted is wrong or doesn't have the mental capabilities to explain.

That makes two of us...lol

so sorry tyke it came out like that to you... didn't mean it too... i actually liked ur post the most tyke!!! But and its a big but ...what i am telling you is true when it comes to "certain topics"! lets for example talk business in general

1) Renting a car -A) they tell u its 20 bucks a day ..u ask if there are any more hidden fees ..they say no but when u arrive they tell you its 20 bucks a day "BUT" its not unlimited mileage!!!

2) Movers= they tell you its only 50 dollars a hr....it takes 15 minutes and they charge you 150 because they say there is a "3 hr minimum" or they pull its 50 dollars a hr per person on u (3 people)....or they say it took me 2hrs travel time to get to you and thats included in the price!!

GET THE PICTURE TYKE (no pun intended)..tyke please don't hate meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

P.S tyke :) i didn't say everyone I said SOME PEOPLE!!!!!! look at my post again!!!!

w/o the correct and complete details people get screwed everyday in life, business, travel etc.....

Just the other day a guy posted he got screwed while trying to travel ...no body told him he needed a visa for brazil!!!!!

Expats get screwed in thailand all the time because they don't know the rules involving buying real estate or owning a business...

i can go on and on.... :)

sorry again tyke look forward to your future posts....... and by the way not every1 knows what "OP" stands for..... i didn't even know until i looked it up for 5-10 minutes!!!!! it stands for original poster guys!!!!

I have a different opinion .. I still use Truecrypt and plan to for some time.  Amazon still uses truecrypt and truecrypt survived a security audit (funded independently). 

As for Dropbox, OMG!  I would never upload anything personal (unencrypted) to dropbox.

Back to the original poster, mrboring37:

There is a camera that encrypts on the fly using a custom rom and firmware.  It is untested in the real word and not available commercially.

There are other ways to do what you want but they involve installing software (apps) -- which you said you didn't want.  One of them is SafeCamera (for android).

Safe Camera ENCRYPTS the video or pics you are taken in real-time, using its own camera -- so that an unencrypted version of the photo/video never exists on your phone.  That is the best I can offer. :)

The OP hasn't really explained the rationale behind his Desire for this level of OpSec. The general consensus in the computer security field is that the big government security agencies, like the NSA, can decrypt just about anything, if sufficiently motivated. Doing so is costly and time consuming, so they're not going to bother with photos of sex acts between consenting adults, even if there's P2P in the mix. However, if they feel you're smuggling nuclear Secrets to terrorist organizations, all bets are off. If the latter is the case in this thread, then there's no hope.

Standard practice is the hacker community is to use a bootable USB drive to load a complete operating system on your computer without touching the computer's storage devices. If you're concerned about leaving a trail of your IP addresses from Thailand, then Tails is the operating system to use on the USB stick. Tails only accesses the Internet through TOR, meaning that your IP is hidden to all but the most dedicated, motivated, and deep pocketed security services.

Encryption requires a basic understanding of the principles of public/private key use. Public keys are used to encrypt and the matching private key is used to decrypt. This means you can travel anywhere with your public key and give it to anyone...Unless they are the NSA, or similar, they will never be able to derive your private key. You must leave your private key, to be used for decryption at home in a very safe place.

The Linux encrypt/decrypt app on all systems, including Tails, is GPG. Generate your public and private keys before you travel on a different computer that's secure at home, transfer the public key to your travel USB stick, but not the private key.

While traveling, when you're ready to encrypt and upload your files, boot your computer to the USB drive, plug in the micro SD to the computer, encrypt and upload. The USB operating system knows nothing of your computer's internal storage and nothing will touch that storage in this process.

Doing this on an Internet cafe computer is more risky because many of them have hardware key loggers. While the logger will capture all your keystrokes, including your passwords, the integrity of the encrypted file remains secure because you don't possess the private decryption key.

Finally, if you're paranoid, physically destroy the bootable USB drive and the micro SD. Hammer, intense heat, and dumping the remains deep in Pattaya Bay in combination is a good method. Each of the two drives is worth about $10 in a 16gb configuration. A small price to pay for the level of security desired.

There are no hardware encrypting SD drives on the market, save a few unreliable internal Chinese OEM vendors. There are plenty of hardware encrypted USB sticks, but that doesn't help a person wanting to encrypt within a camera.

Ultimately, the security steps you take should be based on your reasons for wanting specific data encrypted. In the case of photos and videos, consenting adult sex pics are not of pressing interest to any entity capable of rooting through encrypted and erased files on your computer. If you've got photos of material that is of national security interest, just assume that the files will be cracked if the agencies are motivated.

High end computer security is not within the reach of the general public. It's not a point and click technology. Plenty of people far smarter and more experienced than me have been caught out by sophisticated hackers and security services. There is an illusion amongst the public that data security is 100% reliable. It is not, but you can rely on the concept of value in hacking, that hackers, security agencies, and divorce lawyers only bother to hack those things that have significant value. Otherwise, they will ignore you or give up quite quickly.

Virtually all intrusions into computer security are due to human error, not technical wizardry. Assume that you will slip up somewhere. A magic self-encrypting SD card doesn't eliminate the human side of the equation. If you, the user, knows how to decrypt your SD, a talented adversary will find a way to gain access. The best defenses are to take great care, understand the limits and methods of your techniques, and not make anyone aware that your data exists or in any way make yourself a target.

Encryption of data at any real security level is a relatively resource intensive process,  would need a good cpu and plenty of fast memory even then with throughput required for HD videos it would be challenging to do this in realtime resulting in an increase in cost for something most people wouldnt use.

Encryption is not compute intensive. Encryption is designed to be easy to do one way, that is encrypting stuff but mathematically hard to do in reverse so if you don't know the password it is very hard to unencrypt the file by trying all possible passwords until you find one that works.

Compressing a raw video stream down to an mp4 or equivalent compressed file format, which is what all video cameras must do, is way way more compute intensive than encrypting a file. Even playing a compressed .mp4 file is way more compute intensive than encrypting or unencrypting a file.

Touchagrey 

all i can say is WOWWWWWWW very impressed by your answer and mental aptitude........... every time I try to learn about this topic it becomes more and more complicated and more and more mental torture to try to learn it..... I am at the more than half way point of putting up the white flag and submissively saying uncle ....this task seems like a never completed  puzzle but a FOREVER "infinitely" changing PUZZLE 

Touchagrey

all i can say is WOWWWWWWW very impressed by your answer and mental aptitude........... every time I try to learn about this topic it becomes more and more complicated and more and more mental torture to try to learn it..... I am at the more than half way point of putting up the white flag and submissively saying uncle ....this task seems like a never completed puzzle but a FOREVER "infinitely" changing PUZZLE

Mostly it's adversarial. Too many people, corporations and governments trying to beat encryption and privacy. Lots of very clever people on both sides. I'm just barely smart enough to know that I can't begin to compete!

Our saving grace is that most encrypted stuff just isn't worth the effort to crack. That probably includes most BMs photos of sex acts. There's bigger and juicer images all over the Internet. Thai authorities don't really hunt down amateur tourist photographers and scan empty SD cards, and in most western countries, unless you're on some crazy customs watch list, they're not going to root through your discs seeking the contents of erased files, and even so, you're mostly risking a few embarrassing moments, provided there's nothing that gives the appearance of underage participants. Don't do something so heinous that you become a target and your password protected photos in the cloud will be fine until you get home.

thinking of traveling the world but some countries on my list don't allow

1) Adult site content from other websites on your computer like nudevista, beeg.com etc

2) Consented adult videos even between a married couples

3)  And the penalties may even harsher for adult lesbian, gay, swinger, group sex action in some countries....

• 3 months later...

Just upload your pics/video to an encrypted cloud service like Dropbox before you leave LOS (or where ever).  Then delete everything on the micro-sd card before you land back in the US.  If you don't and customs agents want to know what's on that card, they're going to ask you to decrypt it and if you refuse, they can make your life very miserable.  As a reminder, you have no constitutional rights while in the airport customs zone, even as an American citizen.

I  like the dropbox idea.  Is the speed of the internet connection in Pattaya a factor?  The wi-fi at some hotels I’ve stayed at is rather slow. I  would think uploading a large video file would take quite some time. Any thoughts on how to deal with the slow speed? 

Any thoughts on how to deal with the slow speed? 

Leave your computer on while you are out and/or sleeping... :GoldenSmile1:

Leave your computer on while you are out and/or sleeping... :GoldenSmile1:

Why not take the computer with him and run with it :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Veracrypt for over 6 months now and love it. If you do it properly no one will know you have

a hidden encrypted partition because it will not show up as a drive until you mount the drive.

create the hidden partition (volume) and save it as a file name and call it "TrainingVideo.wmv" so the larger size of

a video file would make sense but If you click on the actual file you would get an error message. ohhh.. file

must have gotten corrupted I guess  ;)

What is also cool, is that you can create a "dummy drive". Lets say your mafia enemy, wife, etc...

finds the Veracrypt file somehow (which I also rename and bury in a folder with hundreds of other Windows files

so its kind of lost in there unless you know what you are looking for.

You can create a "dummy" mountable drive in Veracrypt. So you have 2 passwords. One for your real mountable drive that

has all your ladyboy porn   ;)   then you have the 2nd password for the "sensitive" stuff that you

are pretending to be hiding. (Maybe bank statements, financial docs, business contracts, etc...) which would be a legit

reason to hide them in case your laptop was stolen, etc... to whomever you might have to explain why you needed

to hide anything...

"Porn on your laptop? Aussie customs looks for it"

http://www.cnet.com/news/porn-on-your-laptop-aussie-customs-looks-for-it/

here is a youtube video on how to do setup Veracrypt

some links with reviews.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/veracrypt-review-truecrypt-alternative

Another option is to keep your kinky stuff on an offshore storage with end to end encryption and strong privacy.

I like MEGA (Free 50GB of storage) https://mega.co.nz/

Peace

Archived