IGNORED

Do you only crap once?

Since my first visit for Songkron 08, i have devoured everything on this board. Some thread i like, some i don't, some make me laugh an some can make me boil a little. Still one thread held a picture that i used as my desktop screen for a long time, here it is. I may not have permission to show (if not, delete the entire thread plz mod)

thailangstart.jpg

I downloaded this of the board an never much paid attention to it until, i realise some of it had subconsciously slid into my mind.

Alloy, Cop-coon, my pen arie, cowpatguy (that'll help!!) chai, my chai, the lot.

Then my papas lady got her visa, they came for six weeks an the times i saw her, i asked for a phrase a day. My favourite is pom poo-ee(fat - pig).

Anyhows when i say each phrase i add the "CRAP" or , to me it sounds more like "KHRUP or just KRUP".She then goes an throws a spanner in the works an says, saying khrup, is like saying "yeah yeah" all the time, kind-off. She didn't realy explain after that or i never asked.

So, i take my new found language to the streets of cambridge today to see what happens.

I'm in the market in cambridge, an the noodle stall is run by thai girls. As i walk past i show a little interest. Like a bargirl on heat i hear the words "you hungry we make nice food for you", bless the serving girl, but she knew i was pulled into buying before i even knew it myself.

In english i get my two satay chicken strips an me bro's vegy spring rolls. I pay for both an put in a simple "copcoon", my first ever words (apart from papas tgf). She replies "you say "copcoon khrup" with a big cheery smile (was very nice), anyhows i get another reply "you like thailand" an my reply is "chai, but me, pom poo-ey" an i point a finger at my belly. Bless the sweet girl, she points to her larger mate an says "you not pom-poo-ey, she pom poo-ey" and all three girls crack up!

My question is simple for an absolute beginner, based upon the original picture, do you crap after everything? And if not, how much do you crap an exactly what is crap? I'm all crapped out now............

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

Khrup for men

Kah for females.

Edited by .Q.

There once was a man from china

he wasnt a very good climber

he slipped on a rock

and ripped off his cock

and now hes got a vagina

yes you can put it after everything if you want to be very polite. If they are close family or friends then you don't need to use it.

yes you can put it after everything if you want to be very polite. If they are close family or friends then you don't need to use it.

Krhup is for when you adress males thais.

Kah is when you adress females i thought?

There once was a man from china

he wasnt a very good climber

he slipped on a rock

and ripped off his cock

and now hes got a vagina

Moon71,

Apologies to contradict the previous entries, but you do NOT say Krup after everything.

Krup is ONLY used by males and Ka is only used by Females and LBs.....

BTW, the picture board is not 100% correct.

I have lived in Thailand for over a year before, and have recently taken a Thai language course so I have benefited from conversational and now a formal learning.

Yes, when you first meet and greet, you use krup.

eg - Sawatdee Krup, Sabai Dee Mai Krup. (this will just set the tone of the conversation and put you in a polite manner).

When it changes to conversation, you will put Krup at the end when you are finished talking.

eg - Today is very hot, Im going to Pat Pong and will buy jeans. How much will it cost in the taxi?

Wanee rawn mak, pom ja bpai Pat Pong le ja seoo yeen. Taxi meter taow rai KRUP ?

And then, when you are saying bye, use Krup at the end again.

Krup can also be used as a word on its own when you want to acknowledge something or agree with something. If someone tells you the bill is 200 baht, you can just say, "Krup" and then pay the cash.

BTW - The main problem with your thai language assistance board is that it is teaching you lazy Thai with pronouncing L instead of R. Westerners have no problems at all with pronouncing Rs so we should be saying the words properly.

How much - Taow Rai ? (not Tal eye)

Tasty - Aroi (not alloy)

What - Ar-eye(not Alay)

Bye-Do-Eye - I think a better translation is "Go/come Together" as this can be used with food, drinks, friends and not just a sex chat

Sorry - show be Kaw Tdot (not car tod)

Good question though for the board. It is a tricky one for newbies to get right (or even the seasoned mongers who think they know)

Edited by luvyoulongtime

When girl is nagging just sat cup cup cup ............................lol

Krup i guess is the right way to spell it but it sounds to me like cup!!!

Krhup is for when you adress males thais.

Kah is when you adress females i thought?

Q on my 1st visit to patts I always wondered why the female room service would giggle at me. I even checked myself in the mirror to see if summat was wrong. The reason was because I would say kop khun kaa as thankyou...that is what females should say...i should have used the male/khrap version.

"To monger, or not to monger, that is the question"

Yeap ladies say kaa(sounds like car) we guys are meant to say cup or whatever khrap/krup sounds like cup to me!!

I wouldnt pronounce the words like they are on that board though as you'll sound a little strange from looking at it.

People say it different ways but its generally understoood. Between friends I never use it much but it is usefull to affirm your understanding when they are yabbering on at you.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Moon71,

Apologies to contradict the previous entries, but you do NOT say Krup after everything.

Krup is ONLY used by males and Ka is only used by Females and LBs.....

BTW, the picture board is not 100% correct.

I have lived in Thailand for over a year before, and have recently taken a Thai language course so I have benefited from conversational and now a formal learning.

Yes, when you first meet and greet, you use krup.

eg - Sawatdee Krup, Sabai Dee Mai Krup. (this will just set the tone of the conversation and put you in a polite manner).

When it changes to conversation, you will put Krup at the end when you are finished talking.

eg - Today is very hot, Im going to Pat Pong and will buy jeans. How much will it cost in the taxi?

Wanee rawn mak, pom ja bpai Pat Pong le ja seoo yeen. Taxi meter taow rai KRUP ?

And then, when you are saying bye, use Krup at the end again.

Krup can also be used as a word on its own when you want to acknowledge something or agree with something. If someone tells you the bill is 200 baht, you can just say, "Krup" and then pay the cash.

BTW - The main problem with your thai language assistance board is that it is teaching you lazy Thai with pronouncing L instead of R. Westerners have no problems at all with pronouncing Rs so we should be saying the words properly.

How much - Taow Rai ? (not Tal eye)

Tasty - Aroi (not alloy)

What - Ar-eye(not Alay)

Bye-Do-Eye - I think a better translation is "Go/come Together" as this can be used with food, drinks, friends and not just a sex chat

Sorry - show be Kaw Tdot (not car tod)

Good question though for the board. It is a tricky one for newbies to get right (or even the seasoned mongers who think they know)

I read the reply several days ago, appreciated it and left it. Will i ever decide to learn real thai, not lazy thai, i honestly dont know, but thanks for the corrections. What i think i'd realy appreciate from this board is something more than what i learnt from the picture tutorial.

The man that produces a thread "50 thais phrases that will really help you tourist" would be a legend in my eyes. Any takers?

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

Men say Kap to both sexes - I bet Q has had a few funny looks in his time.

Kap, Karp, Krap - it doesn't matter.

Kap is common to most of Thailand but Krap is the predominant term in Bangkok Thai. Dont worry about it though, use Kap, its easiest.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

You should say it after everything, it is a polite particle of whatever someone is saying. I would spell it more like beginning with a K, if you use a C in Thai it is pronounced more like a J. The r is rolling so it sounds more like khrrrrap, or khlap (no pun intended)

that picture has possibly the worst thai script to english translation i've ever seen

In gratitude..

krab - is like english for 'ta' or 'cheers', example someone passes you your beer at the table or you pass the baht bus driver sip baht.

kob koon krab - is like english for 'thankyou'

kob koon ma krab - is like 'thannkyou very much'

Edited by herds

You should say it after everything, it is a polite particle of whatever someone is saying. I would spell it more like beginning with a K, if you use a C in Thai it is pronounced more like a J. The r is rolling so it sounds more like khrrrrap, or khlap (no pun intended)

Excuse me for contradiction, but you are a little wrong on saying it after everything. You will sound like you are over punctuating a sentence with too many kraps.

Beginning, middle and end (if you can speak thai sentences fluently).

For basic thai (hello, how much, good bye), then yes it would be fine to say it in this pigeon-thai situation

Obviously, if you are just chatting amongst friends or a LT gf, krap is not necessary once you know each other well enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Q on my 1st visit to patts I always wondered why the female room service would giggle at me. I even checked myself in the mirror to see if summat was wrong. The reason was because I would say kop khun kaa as thankyou...that is what females should say...i should have used the male/khrap version.

That is funny. ladyboys use "ka". You can see why they laughed.