The Sly Fox

Top attractions between HCMC & Hanoi?

The Sly Fox

What are the top attractions between HCMC & Hanoi - Dalat, Hoi An, Hue....what else? What are considered the nicest beach spots? 

kgbagent

Nihn Bihn south of Hanoi - inland Halong

Dong Hoi - beaches and caves

The DMZ - remnants of the war

Danang - under-rated and has girls

Hai Van -  rent a motorbike in Hoi An, follow the coast rd including the peninsular just past Danang city then over the pass go as far as  China beach then back over the pass again

Hue also has a nice beach

Dalat

Cheers

The Sly Fox

Nihn Bihn south of Hanoi - inland Halong

Dong Hoi - beaches and caves

The DMZ - remnants of the war

Danang - under-rated and has girls

Hai Van -  rent a motorbike in Hoi An, follow the coast rd including the peninsular just past Danang city then over the pass go as far as  China beach then back over the pass again

Hue also has a nice beach

Dalat

Cheers

Cheers, I'm planning a trip for early next year, so this gives me some ideas to start doing Google searches.

kgbagent

Dong Hoi is really beautiful with great beaches awesome seafood and virtually no tourists.

It's a big fishing port and the boats are really colourful. I usually stay at the Mao Hong right on the riverside.

Rent a bike and cross the river and follow the coast down to the cave.

Its on the main train line so if you catch the 11pm express it stops at Dong Hoi around 6am.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The Sly Fox

Dong Hoi is really beautiful with great beaches awesome seafood and virtually no tourists.

It's a big fishing port and the boats are really colourful. I usually stay at the Mao Hong right on the riverside.

Rent a bike and cross the river and follow the coast down to the cave.

Its on the main train line so if you catch the 11pm express it stops at Dong Hoi around 6am.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Thanks again, the plan so far is to fly BKK to HCMC and then travel by trains/buses to HaNoi to pickup a pre-booked flight back to BKK (or vice versa) I've been to Vietnam twice before, 1st time to HaNoi & Halong Bay, and 2nd time to HCMC & VaungTau. But it's Central Vietnam that I'm more interested in visiting. What you have told me here is very helful. 

I'll be traveling with TGF so no mongering for me. We'll both get VOAs (her Thai passort, no visa needed, me UK passport, no visa needed) What do you think would be a reasonable time to go from HCMC to HanNoi (or vice versa) stopping off for a couple days at the most interesting spots?

kgbagent

South to north ---- I would

• bus to Dalat 2 nights
  • bus Nga Trang 1-2 nights
  • train to Hue 2 days easy
  • train to Danang - go daytime for the views an amazing train ride get seats on the LH side
  • Hoi An 3 days - goto Mama Ly on the far end of the main Cua Dai beach closest to HA end - buy a baguette and order her fresh bbq clams ( the small sweet ones) and stuff them in the bread fucking heaven
  • Hire a motorbike and leave about 9am and head as mentioned above
  • Hire a car/driver to take u thru DMZ and drop off Dong Hoi - look for the ornate French cathedral and note that you can see the Laos border in the mountains but you will not see any growth for 80kms due to Agent Orange - quite bizarre
  • Dong Hoi 2 nights - rent a bike
  • Train to Hanoi

Cheers 

Bottlerocket

Dalat is considered at "Honeymooners" town so a good place to take girlfriend. The weather is cooler due to the altitude. There used to be a bunch of ex-SVA guys called the Easy Riders who did tours on Harleys - don't know if they are still around. You'll see coffee plantations, silk factories, enormous glasshouses that export fresh flowers all around the world and more.

post-144395-0-53728500-1440675828.jpgpost-144395-0-30436800-1440675831.jpgpost-144395-0-88281200-1440675835.jpgpost-144395-0-05392200-1440675839.jpg

Hue is a highlight - not so much the town itself, but get a couple of bikes (or hire bike guides) to take you around the amazing imperial temples, palaces and so on. They are very picturesque.

post-144395-0-11245100-1440676311.jpgpost-144395-0-27526500-1440676317.jpgpost-144395-0-95644100-1440676320.jpgpost-144395-0-93789000-1440676323.jpg

Hoi An is a nice little town too. Famous for getting tailored clothes and has some nice old architecture (shop houses etc) and cultural things a great market, and also getting little boat rides.

post-144395-0-72952500-1440676886.jpgpost-144395-0-62395500-1440676889.jpgpost-144395-0-33175900-1440676898.jpg

I'll add a few pictures in a minute.

Edited by Bottlerocket

kgbagent

Yes Hue is underated - pretty interesting place and food special to the region.

HA - dont take the boat trip to the islands

The Sly Fox

South to north ---- I would

• bus to Dalat 2 nights
  • bus Nga Trang 1-2 nights
  • train to Hue 2 days easy
  • train to Danang - go daytime for the views an amazing train ride get seats on the LH side
  • Hoi An 3 days - goto Mama Ly on the far end of the main Cua Dai beach closest to HA end - buy a baguette and order her fresh bbq clams ( the small sweet ones) and stuff them in the bread fucking heaven
  • Hire a motorbike and leave about 9am and head as mentioned above
  • Hire a car/driver to take u thru DMZ and drop off Dong Hoi - look for the ornate French cathedral and note that you can see the Laos border in the mountains but you will not see any growth for 80kms due to Agent Orange - quite bizarre
  • Dong Hoi 2 nights - rent a bike
  • Train to Hanoi

Cheers 

OK I was think about 3 weeks, so what you suggest here comes to about 2 weeks, and 2-3 days in HCMC and 2-3 days in Hanoi will bring it to about 3 weeks. That'll be a good holiday. I'm interested in the DMZ, so would like to go out to Khe Sahn and see what else is around that area. Originally I was thinking about only going that far and then cutting across Lao to Savannakhet - Mukdahan - Pattaya, but that'll mean too much boring bus travel. I'd rather keep going all way to HaNoi and take an AA flight to BKK.

The Sly Fox

Would you go South to North or North to South, or doesn't it matter?

sagitarius123

Am I correct in saying that UK passport holders can travel into Vietnam now for up to 15 days visa exempt?

kgbagent

OK I was think about 3 weeks, so what you suggest here comes to about 2 weeks, and 2-3 days in HCMC and 2-3 days in Hanoi will bring it to about 3 weeks. That'll be a good holiday. I'm interested in the DMZ, so would like to go out to Khe Sahn and see what else is around that area. Originally I was thinking about only going that far and then cutting across Lao to Savannakhet - Mukdahan - Pattaya, but that'll mean too much boring bus travel. I'd rather keep going all way to HaNoi and take an AA flight to BKK.

Yes ... fly is better option

Next trip can I suggest going from Hanoi to Lao Cai border, cross into China, and head for Yuan Yang which has the most amazing rice terrace you will ever see - then thru the Stone Forest and visit Kunming / Lijiang / Dali.

You can fly from Kunming to BKK several times a day

Check this guys pics

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/China/South/Yunnan/Yuanyang/

He also sent me this PDF yuanyang.pdf

The Sly Fox

Am I correct in saying that UK passport holders can travel into Vietnam now for up to 15 days visa exempt?

Correct, I just checked, 15 days visa exempt. For some reason I thought it was 30 days, that's what a Thai (ASEAN) gets.

Oh well, 15 days will be OK, no need to spend much time in HCMC or HaNoi, both places i have been to already. It's that central region I want to explore this trip. I can do it OK in 15 days.

kgbagent

Would you go South to North or North to South, or doesn't it matter?

Depends on the time of year - Xmas can be pretty cold in the north so depends on your choices - flying back to LOS is equally easy from either direction

sagitarius123

Thanks for the confirmation Sly.

Certainly makes sense for me to go to vietnam for a few days rather than do a kamikaze border run!

The Sly Fox

Depends on the time of year - Xmas can be pretty cold in the north so depends on your choices - flying back to LOS is equally easy from either direction

It'll probably be around April-May-June. I just checked a weather page and it indicates that's a good time of year for North & Center. 

When i went to Hanoi some years ago it was early Jan, and as you say bloody cold, was OK though, I had TGF with me and we had plenty of quilts on the bed, so i was warm at night...:-)

kgbagent

It'll probably be around April-May-June. I just checked a weather page and it indicates that's a good time of year for North & Center. 

When i went to Hanoi some years ago it was early Jan, and as you say bloody cold, was OK though, I had TGF with me and we had plenty of quilts on the bed, so i was warm at night...:-)

Ahhh ... yes April/ May is perfect

The Sly Fox

Thanks for the confirmation Sly.

Certainly makes sense for me to go to vietnam for a few days rather than do a kamikaze border run!

Some ridiculously cheap flights with Air Asia. We'll be going with them. Tigerair also have good cheap flights.

The Sly Fox
So the ideal route will be:

HCMC

Dalat

Nha Trang

Hoi An/Danang

Hue/Dong Ha/Khe Sahn

Dong Hoi

HaNoi

If we had 2 days stops at HCMC/Dalat/Nha Trang/Dong Hoi/HaNoi, that comes to 10 days, and that leaves 5 days to explore - Hoi An/Hue/DMZ - which is the region I most want to see. 

Looks like a pretty good itinary so far.

kgbagent

So the ideal route will be:

HCMC
Dalat
Nha Trang
Hoi An/Danang
Hue/Dong Ha/Khe Sahn
Dong Hoi
HaNoi

If we had 2 days stops at HCMC/Dalat/Nha Trang/Dong Hoi/HaNoi, that comes to 10 days, and that leaves 5 days to explore - Hoi An/Hue/DMZ - which is the region I most want to see. 

Looks like a pretty good itinary so far.

Hmmm ... yes ... bear in mind tho that most of those trains (Nha Trang to Danang ) will tend to be in daylight so that eats some time although they are not long journeys.

Hue or Dong Hoi are both well placed for the DMZ section so if you hire a car / driver thats easy done - 1 day should see most of the DMZ attractions if you leave about 7am

Cheers

The Sly Fox

Hmmm ... yes ... bear in mind tho that most of those trains (Nha Trang to Danang ) will tend to be in daylight so that eats some time although they are not long journeys.

Hue or Dong Hoi are both well placed for the DMZ section so if you hire a car / driver thats easy done - 1 day should see most of the DMZ attractions if you leave about 7am

Cheers

What do you think is the most interesting & scenic section - from HCMC - Danang, or from Hanoi - Danang?

I'm now thinking doing the entire length of Vietnam will be too much travel for 15 days, I like to chill out for a few days at nice places, not be on the moved every couple days. I've noticed Vietnam airlines has cheap flights from HCMC & Hanoi to Danang, so thinking now it'll be better to do half by train stopping off here and there, and then fly the other half to get our flight back to BKK.

kgbagent

What do you think is the most interesting & scenic section - from HCMC - Danang, or from Hanoi - Danang?

I'm now thinking doing the entire length of Vietnam will be too much travel for 15 days, I like to chill out for a few days at nice places, not be on the moved every couple days. I've noticed Vietnam airlines has cheap flights from HCMC & Hanoi to Danang, so thinking now it'll be better to do half by train stopping off here and there, and then fly the other half to get our flight back to BKK.

Assuming your main focus is the DMZ / Central part then I personally would skip Dalat / NT and fly HCMC direct to Hue or Danang - this would give you another 4 days easy.

Freeze

Thanks for post.  I'm planning a Hanoi to Pattaya trip, this information is priceless :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Freeze

The Sly Fox

Thanks for post.  I'm planning a Hanoi to Pattaya trip, this information is priceless :GoldenSmile1:

It is Freeze, lots of valuable info so far in this thread. Have you been to HaNoi before? As I mention above I went there once before, had a week in HaNoi and did the Halong Bay tour, really enjoyed everything, I far prefered HaNoi to HCMC.

ValleyCowboy

Great info guys, thanks!

I've been thinking along the same lines as Sly Fox for some time now. Would really like to go to Vietnam with primary interest of central and Hanoi. Did some searching a year or so ago and came on a tour guide that will custom tailor tours to your specs. He is supposed to be a walking history book especially the war era which is my main interest as far as the history goes. I would be taking my Pinay wife. I'm still in the "thinking about it stages". We are planning a trip to Thailand Nov/Dec and a trip the the US in Feb, so first things first.