IGNORED

Your favourite thai dish , and who makes it the best?

Leap of Faith

I don't eat a lot of Thai food but I do like the chicken cashew stir fry. Its about the same everywhere and everyone has it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penang curry is another of my favorites, and tonight I had some of the best penang muu I have ever tasted. Little place on Soi Khao Noi, right next door to the Saxo Bar.

Figured it was worth mentioning.

NONE.

You do not eat thai food when you are in Thailand?

Making moves so i can step beyond the intellectual framework of the present day character structure

It's really hard to pick just one favorite but one of them is Hor Muk Talay in a coconut.

The trouble is I don't know a great place to get that in Pattaya.

The version at Surf Kitchen in Jomtien is OK though and cheap for that dish.

Any suggestions where to go for a better one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3WOKEhZwpM

Are there any street carts around that makes some good pad Thai with meat in it. I have seen it with shrimp and meatballs before in Bangkok. Any in Pattaya ?

I LOVE all spicy tasty food but HATE Lemongrass so anything in between will do me, I'm glad i found this site, i was in Pats last year for 2 weeks but will be there from 19th of Sept for 28 days , last time i ate in Irish/British pubs cos i knew what the dishes were and Indian curry joints which were great and a lot cheaper than home but also had some lovely Thai food, I've written down some of the suggestions, keep them coming, Thanks

Are there any street carts around that makes some good pad Thai with meat in it. I have seen it with shrimp and meatballs before in Bangkok. Any in Pattaya ?

Yes, but being food carts they move around a lot.

I have a fave Pad Thai place but it's way out on the darkside.

Khao Soi noodles in Chiang Mai. Never had a bad one although they do vary in sweetness from place to place. Green curry is also a favourite but varies hugely, best I've had was in Krua Apsorn in BKK. Expensive for Thai but never tasted anything like it. The deep fried crab omlettes I've had at some street stalls have been stellar too. Jesus I'm hungry now.

I came, I saw, I mongered!

Penang curry is another of my favorites, and tonight I had some of the best penang muu I have ever tasted. Little place on Soi Khao Noi, right next door to the Saxo Bar.

Figured it was worth mentioning.

penang is also. A favourite of mine, hotman does a nice seafood panang, the best I have ever tried was on the top floor of central plaza, the thai restaurant on the north side, it was great although a little pricey.

Tough question. Possibly Tom Khaa Kai. It's like a Tom Yam soup but with thick coconut milk added which I think rounds it off nicely and gives it a bit more substance.

I also really like a Northern Thai pork curry with ginger called Kaeng Hang Lae. I haven't looked that hard but I have only seen it in restaurants in the North of Thailand.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Yeah Tom Khaa Kai also has a lot more galangal than tom yum. It is a classic. That Northern Thai dish is more like a Burmese food than Thai and yes not common to find outside the North. 

I LOVE gang hang lay,the duck at MK restaurant,coconut soup the grilled sticky rice squares are awesome.I'm not sure of the spelling but the Kwitao noodle soup from the late night carts is just the thing after a night of singha and sin<or during whatever>

Tough question. Possibly Tom Khaa Kai. It's like a Tom Yam soup but with thick coconut milk added which I think rounds it off nicely and gives it a bit more substance.

I also really like a Northern Thai pork curry with ginger called Kaeng Hang Lae. I haven't looked that hard but I have only seen it in restaurants in the North of Thailand.

Sounds good! I hope I can find some someday. Maybe someone out there knows a local place that does northern dishes.

Sounds good! I hope I can find some someday. Maybe someone out there knows a local place that does northern dishes.

There might be somewhere in Pattaya, as I said I haven't looked that hard. Failing that contact Laamok, when I introduced him to the dish in Chiang Mai he bought about 100 locally prepared Kaeng Hang Lae curry paste sachets...he might have some left :wink:

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

There is no Thai restaurant in Pattaya that specializes in Lanna Northern Thai dishes. 

I can't believe no one mentioned Pad Ka-Prao yet! ;-)

Yeah, push comes to shove, that probably is my all time favorite.

I like Isaan laab salad as well. 

Tell them that place is closed. Out of business. Yes that was a good place. 

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them, but I still think such a place no longer exists here.

I love thai food. As I love hot spicy food, food without chilli is no good for me. I love the stuff. 

There are a few thai dishes that excel at giving the level of heat I enjoy the most. 

Dishes such khua kling a dry hot spicy meat dish , Lahb(larb) gai , a fresh chicken salad type dish, and a northern curry called gang pa (jungle curry) there is no coconut in this curry, it is hot and fiery, and full of flavour .

What is your favourite dish? And which restaurant / hole in the wall / cart is the est place to buy it from ?

I didn't get the part where you told the restaurant that makes these dishes best; are they in Pattaya?

Tell them that place is closed. Out of business. Yes that was a good place. 

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them, but I still think such a place no longer exists here.

Passed the word back to them, will see what they say.

Passed the word back to them, will see what they say.

Why so difficult ??? Just ask some girls about.

And they all will know about where to find this

food courts to enjoy the food you want.Easy like this.Cheers.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Why so difficult ??? Just ask some girls about.

And they all will know about where to find this

food courts to enjoy the food you want.Easy like this.Cheers.

The difficulty is that there seems to not be anywhere near Pattaya to get this style of regional Thai food.

Lots of good food to be had, sure. But we were talking about something specific.

Besides I don't like depending on the TGs to get things done.

You won't find in a food court here and I've only seen it here at a few Lanna restaurants that are now closed. However, you can buy an instant spice packet for it at supermarkets such as Friendship. I'm sure not the same as a from scratch cooked one but that's one way to get it. It's quite a mild dish which is why it's probably so popular with Europeans in Chiang Mai. 

"bami mu daeng"  = wheat noodles with grilled red pork in a lovely broth. Seems to be a few different variations, my favourite is one with little pork dumplings. Got addicted to it in Chiang Mai. 

Iv only seen it sold in stalls, used to be one far down soi buakhao close to WS outside a 7/11.  Would love a bowl now.

There is no Thai restaurant in Pattaya that specializes in Lanna Northern Thai dishes. 

Yeah, push comes to shove, that probably is my all time favorite.

I like Isaan laab salad as well. 

Unfortunate but just another excuse to visit Chiang Mai.

I came, I saw, I mongered!

Archived