IGNORED

Anti depressent meds that don't affect sex drive!

ace123

I have been a sufferer of Depression and Anxiety for the past 10 years. I have been on and off different medications but every one of them effected my Sex drive.

Unfortunately after trying many different medications I found that the side effects I suffered were worse off then the lack of sex drive. One Medication turned me into a zombie, One gave me constant headaches, One a rash. In the end I went back to my original Medication because my mental health was more important to me then my sexual health.

Don't get me wrong I still like to have sex, Just not like when I was 16 and had it on my mind 24/7. It did not help with the ex-wife as she wanted it so much it was not funny. In the end I forced myself to have sex on many occasions and seemed to get me back into the swing of things after a little bit

• Like 1

H888, I think you've somewhat missed the point of the article you linked.  

It's actually a satirical take on the cynical marketing tactics employed by Big Pharma. Your Dr. Healy is not seriously suggesting that alcohol be reclassified as an antidepressant. Please read the comments section.

I agree with almost all of your OP, but to suggest that someone suffering from depression should go and knock back a few pints is a bit irresponsible IMO.

You won't find many mainstream health practitioners supporting this view.

Cheers,

Q

Thanks for your response Questor.

My reference to the article was tongue in cheek and agree with your summation of that article.

I also agree with you that alcohol used as an antidepressant LONGTERM would be irresposnsible. Maybe not more irresponsible than the allopathic approach to treating depression/anxiety.

The debate around anxiety and depression is akin to the chicken and the egg theory. 

Perhaps it would have been more prudent that I said alcohol is a "Relaxant". Which in appropriate quantities it can be. Over-used...well we know the short and long term sequelae.

I merely suggested that the OP could use low quantities of alcohol to minimise his anxiety and use ED medication if he needed to.

This was only as a SHORT TERM management of his anxiety, as his antidepressant meds were causing him grief.

I agree that anyone using alcohol as a means of coping with anxiety/depression LONG term would be extremely foolish and I apologise for any confusion my posts may have caused.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers,

H888

PS The best antidepressant is a gorgeous woman to add some spice and meaning to one's life. Lots of those in Pattaya. 

• Like 2

PS The best antidepressant is a gorgeous woman to add some spice and meaning to one's life. Lots of those in Pattaya. 

100% with Dr. Happy on this one. To be taken three times daily after meals. Before or during meals also okay too.

My own experience of using alcohol to combat anxiety was that it did work as a short-term relaxant, but gave me a nasty rebound the next morning. The same thing with benzo drugs, which work on the same pathways. Temptation then is to self-medicate with higher doses, and this can quickly escalate out of control.

For anyone already taking one or more anti-depressants, adding alcohol - another powerful drug - to the mix is a like playing the lottery with your brain. Doctors effectively prescribe AD drugs in a 'lucky-dip' manner i.e."let's try this one, it might work." Future generations will look at our current menu of psych meds with the same astonishment that we reserve for the earlier notion that a course of leeches would cure all possible ills.

• Like 2

Walking in nature for 1 hour a day was shown to be as effective as Prozac, exercise and also mindfulness are very effective as relieving depression and anxiety.

Walking in nature for 1 hour a day was shown to be as effective as Prozac, exercise and also mindfulness are very effective as relieving depression and anxiety.

Very true.

Unfortunately, pharmaceutical companies have a vested interest in keeping people 'sick', and so the search for the 'Silver Bullet' will continue, and medications remain the main source of management rather than 'natural, healthy modalities'.

Cheers

H888

There are people who are very sad or distraught or fallen on hard times that interpret their feelings to be depression. For this, sometimes, exercise induced endorphin and serotonin release will calm their feelings. For the majority or "Clinically Depressed", their only relief is either increasing the serotonin or reducing the effectiveness with which the brains serotonin reuptake receptors function. I have experienced at least 2 people I knew reading holistic information, stopping their medication abruptly and then committing suicide within a month or two. Publishers will say anything to get their magazines published with the protection of the 1st amendment to exonerate them from any complicity in the suicides they cause by negligently nudging "clinically Depressed" to cease medication and turn to suicide as the only solace for their pain.

While I agree "for the clinically depressed", a combination of endorphin releasing exercise and consistent observation and balance of medication may be necessary. Belief that stopping all medication and choosing exercise as your "Antidote" can be a prescription to suicide. If you choose to try to eliminate any prescription medication do so gradually and add exercise generously to compensate. Always have someone watching your back for signs of falling into suicidal depression before it's too late.

Today different degrees of depression that are addressed by Medical and Holistic science only have suggestions to temporarily elevate the symptoms, no one has a "Cure-All.

If you take depression medication, you need to be CAREFUL if you choose to stop taking all medication "cold-turkey". BUT. THATS. JUST. MY. OPINION.

I agree and also stated something similar above, if your going to get off them taper off slowly with your doctors help.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have some further questions to some of the posts but i will pm to make it more private

Edited by ace123

All of the SSRI's will cause delayed ejaculation with some being worse than others.  Zoloft is especially known for this. Most antidepressants list a lowered sex drive as one of the possible side-effects.  Two drugs much less likely to cause lowered sex drive are Wellbutrin (Buproprion) and Effexor (Venlafaxine).  Both these drugs can potential lower sex drive but are far less likely to than the SSRI's and neither are SSRI's..  I would also avoid MAO inhibitors and the ancient tricyclic antidepressants which are rarely given these days because they don't "work" as well as the SSRI's and potential for lethal overdose is much greater.

Some SSRI's--Paxil, Prozac, Celexa, e.g., are claimed to treat depression and anxiety, which often go hand-in-hand.  The efficacy of these drugs to treat anxiety is questionable and most doctors that prescribe them to treat depression and anxiety do so because they have a bias against the Benzodiazepines which tend to work well but can be addictive and potentially lethal if mixed with alcohol. This bias is also a result of the over-regulation of Western society and its craziness.  To wit, in Oregon, the site of our most recent mass-killing, it is legal to have someone assist you in committing suicide (under certain circumstances) but if you are caught visiting a prostitute this is a crime.  Things are slightly better in the UK where you're at.  I tend to feel much less anxious when I am in Thailand with the prospect of porking some cute young (or middle-aged) strumpet--if she can be torn away from her phone long enough to close the deal :).  This is by way of saying that unless your anxiety is severe I see NO reason you would take a Benzo before beginning your mongering.  If you do have generalized anxiety or panic attacks then a small dose of a benzo (Xanax(Alprazolam), IMO, is probably the best) can even you out.  I would not add alcohol to this mix or use alcohol with an antidepressant, either; though many do mix them thinking this is no big deal.  Ativan (Lorazepam) is also a good choice because it is the only Benzodiazepine and one of the few drugs that is metabolized via the kidneys instead of the liver, thus is easier on the body.. 

The posters above, especially Dickygozinya, should be heeded.  It is not wise to stop any SSRI abruptly as this can lead to unpleasant side-effects and can exacerbate an actual clinical depression.  Exercise is an excellent idea whether the depression is situational or has no known external cause.  Blow jobs, nuru massages and a lot of copulation can also be quite salubrious :)--as many posters above have mentioned..  You don't seem extremely clinically depressed because it's doubtful a person in a deep depression would be planning a mongering trip.  I'm not speaking of the normal sadness of life and the misery most of us feel residing in sexless countries filled with women who outweigh us and have no Desire for sex.  A severely depressed person often loses sexual Desire with or without medicine, among many other unpleasant symptoms.  Enjoy your trip! 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want further recommendations.

Best anti-depressant is a hot Thai girl, you don't need this other shit. The Docs want to keep you as a dependent so they can keep billing you. You have the capacity to cure yourself with your will power.

Retired

• 4 years later...
On 21/08/2015 at 03:18, dickygozinya said:

Doc switched me from Zoloft because although zoloft increases sex drive it makes your erections softer

I’ve never heard of this...

are you sure this is what happened to you?? Because it’s the complete opposite for me.

I’m taking the same med for my anxiety and I find that sex drive has extremely low. Almost non existent. 

On 26/12/2019 at 13:16, Rob8489 said:

I’ve never heard of this...

are you sure this is what happened to you?? Because it’s the complete opposite for me.

I’m taking the same med for my anxiety and I find that sex drive has extremely low. Almost non existent. 

My post was about erections being softer on Zoloft.  However....In my experience Zoloft severely weakened my sex drive until I exercised more 30-minutes each day and took a low dose of testosterone.  Even with this regimen I went from daily sex Desire to one time a week.

Saves a lot of money.  I used to be Baht-1200x7 weekly, now Baht 1500x1 week(I now tip 300 too).

A depressed person could:

1. try Liquid alimemazin, an antihistamine, for sleep - at least 25 drops. He will sleep very well and there should be minimal drowsiness the day after and no effect on sexual functioning. Sleeping well is a very good treatment for depression. No addiction potential.

2. During daytime use coffe and nicotine lozenges (not smoking or vaping) to energize yourself. Be careful not to overdo this or you will just feel anxious.

3. Walk or run while listening to your favorite music. 

4. The antiepilectic pregabalin takes 2-5 hours to work but its a miracle drug for some and is avalible in Thailand. For some it delays ejaculation so it might so be better to try from home first.

5. Later during the day, drink alkohol in moderation, to boost your mood.. 

This regimen has helped me immensely.

I would be happy if someone else would find benefit in it.

Porque la vida es sueño, y los sueños sueños son

Hey mate, I’m not sure I follow. Are you able to rephrase your most recent post somewhat?

zoloft increases sex drive

Zoloft severely weakened my sex drive

I’ve never heard of Zoloft increasing sex drive. Where did you get this info from?

Zoloft severely weakened my sex drive until I exercised 30-minutes each day and took a low dose of testosterone.

Even with this regimen I went from daily sex desire to one time a week.

...this is where I’m confused. Didn’t exercising and taking testosterone increase your sexual Desire?

I went from daily sex desire to one time a week.

...what made your sexual Desire drop from daily to weekly?

Saves a lot of money.  I used to be Baht-1200x7 weekly, now Baht 1500x1 week(I now tip 300 too).

Yeah I know what you mean. Years ago, I used to see this as a positive as well. But at this stage of my life, I’m not too concerned about saving cash. I’d rather have the 1200x7 option.

23 hours ago, Rob8489 said:

Hey mate, I’m not sure I follow. Are you able to rephrase your most recent post somewhat?

my bad .   I switched to Prozac which for

me stopped all Desire.   With Zoloft before age 50 had no affect on Desire.   After 50 needed exercise and testosterone

23 hours ago, Rob8489 said:

I’ve never heard of Zoloft increasing sex drive. Where did you get this info from?

...this is where I’m confused. Didn’t exercising and taking testosterone increase your sexual Desire?

...what made your sexual Desire drop from daily to weekly?

Yeah I know what you mean. Years ago, I used to see this as a positive as well. But at this stage of my life, I’m not too concerned about saving cash. I’d rather have the 1200x7 option.

Hopes that is clearer