IGNORED

How accurate are Agoda photos and descriptions?

ex-pat

I’m looking for a resort to stay at in Jomtien for a few nights. I found this one on Agoda for thb 2,500 reduced to 1,302. “Natural Park Resort” That is the cheapest room. It’s just a standard bedroom, shower bathroom. The Agoda listing has it as 40 sq. m.

As I live close to Jomtien I drove over to have a look. The room I saw appeared to be substantially less than 40 sq.m and with less furniture. It also lists at 2,500 but curiously they would not discount below 1,800. When I sort of challenged the manager (afterwards) about the Agoda listing, he just laughed and said he doesn’t know anything about Agoda.

Te situation seems to be that the room shown on the Agoda listing does not exist unless as a walkin customer they are hiding another thb 2,500 room from me – doesn’t seem very likely.

My question is, how accurate are the Agoda listings/photos generally, and do they have any guarantee that the room will be as pictured and amenities as described?

Thanks

Usually i get what i see on Agoda but customers who come in early that day will be given the least attractive room that is usually hard to rent out . 

If the customer doesn't complain it's all fine , you play up a bit and will be placed in a better room . 

Still don't get the Agoda policy with a lot of hotels . Walk in price 2500Bht .... Agoda 1300Bht (and they have to pay another 22% to Agoda of that) . 

Just give the customer the room for 1300Bht if he mentions Agoda . I have several times booked the hotel in the lobby , using the hotel's internet 

to get the price advertised on Agoda . Resulting in the hotel missing out on 22% extra money on the room and they have to wait another month

till Agoda has transfered the money into their account :Crazy1: . I don't really get it .  

Agoda only posts what the hotel's send them! I habeas been caught out a couple of times with descriptions and photos always best read third party reviews like trip adviser and check their location on A third party map.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

Usually i get what i see on Agoda but customers who come in early that day will be given the least attractive room that is usually hard to rent out . 

If the customer doesn't complain it's all fine , you play up a bit and will be placed in a better room . 

Still don't get the Agoda policy with a lot of hotels . Walk in price 2500Bht .... Agoda 1300Bht (and they have to pay another 22% to Agoda of that) . 

Just give the customer the room for 1300Bht if he mentions Agoda . I have several times booked the hotel in the lobby , using the hotel's internet 

to get the price advertised on Agoda . Resulting in the hotel missing out on 22% extra money on the room and they have to wait another month

till Agoda has transfered the money into their account :Crazy1: . I don't really get it .  

Yep done the same thing myself. Had the Agoda webpage up and asked for them to give it to me at that price or I would just book thru Agoda. There remark was "Up to you" so I sat down made the booking then 5 min later got the room. TIT.

I use Agoda rooms maybe 20 times a year. I would say they are totally accurate 90% of the time and reasonably accurate most of the other times. Only once did I get something totally different and in that case (Woraburi in Bangkok) they upgraded me.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Yep done the same thing myself. Had the Agoda webpage up and asked for them to give it to me at that price or I would just book thru Agoda. There remark was "Up to you" so I sat down made the booking then 5 min later got the room. TIT.

Done this myself in Bangkok - most hotels have internt acess in the lobby and those who dont there is never a net cafe with a printer far away.

The hotel, the Dawin would not budge on price anbd were 700 more than the Agoda price (although the Agoda prices was one of their daily specials I would admit). Printed the Agoda booking using their computer and their electricity (CC me). The managers chin almost hit the floor - the girl at reception was having to hide her smiles, she obviously enjoyed the manager being taken down a peg or two.

I agree with you bro - its silly. It must be either a "cant be bothered" attitude or its part of their agreement. I suspect the former.

They are as good as any and better than most but they can still be a little deceiving as you need to remember they are only going to show the room in the best light they can After all they are trying to sell you something.

I now tend to stay at 1 of 3 LK hotels but if I am going somewhere else I only book for the first couple of nights to see what the place is really like before committing for my whole stay, it may cost a little more this way but do you really want to stay in a shit hole for your 2 or 3 week holiday if the only other option is to write off the total cost and pay again somewhere else?

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

Standard procedure these days is look at the review score , everything under 7,5 is usually not much . 

i use booking.com but i believe it's the same company as Agoda and usually has the same pics.. all have been accurate for me to but bear in mind sometimes the pics are old, like taken when the hotel was new so maybe a bit more run down than the photos

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

i use booking.com but i believe it's the same company as agoda and usually has the same pics.. all have been accurate for me to but bear in mind sometimes the pics are old, like taken when the hotel was new so maybe a bit more run down than the photos

I also prefer using  booking.com; as I am tired at Agoda's advertising prices that appear to be cheaper - but don't include the Taxes - and when they are added-on, there is the same price as booking.com.

However, I had bad experiences in the past when I booked with Agoda for 3 nights - but only stayed 2 nights.... request for a refund were shuffled back-and-forth between Agoda and the hotel..... with neither refunding the unused night!!

As regarding the accuracy of photos & general descriptions of hotels are concerned - I agree with a previous comment - to check other providers  (Tripadvisor or Flip-Key)  - and also usually book 1-2 nights to ensure that the place is to my liking!!

I also prefer using  booking.com; as I am tired at Agoda's advertising prices that appear to be cheaper - but don't include the Taxes - and when they are added-on, there is the same price as booking.com.

However, I had bad experiences in the past when I booked with Agoda for 3 nights - but only stayed 2 nights.... request for a refund were shuffled back-and-forth between Agoda and the Hotel..... with neither refunding the unused night!!

As regarding the accuracy of photos & general descriptions of Hotels are concerned - I agree with a previous comment - to check other providers  (Tripadvisor or Flip-Key)  - and also usually book 1-2 nights to ensure that the place is to my liking!!

Thats also the reason i use booking.com, i want to be concentrating on the hotel facilities when i'm booking not taking a maths exam adding up all the extras

Agoda only posts what the hotel's send them! I habeas been caught out a couple of times with descriptions and photos always best read third party reviews like trip adviser and check their location on A third party map.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

you need to do some proof-reading in future....

Thanks for that, you got anything to else positive to add to the thread or just to get your post count up!

..... I think your comment is a bit "harsh"....??? Not everybody commenting on this Board is lucky enough... to be a Native English Speaker... like yourself!!..... give the Guy some slack.... his message did come across .... even though there were some spelling errors....

about the same as the iBar pictures :)

about the same as the iBar pictures :)

Exactly this. Next time you book a hotel online, know that effectively what you're seeing is a room decked out in its best threads, with plenty of glossy make up and a padded bra.

But by the time the two of you are alone together - you and your room - a profound sense of disappointment often results.

Only difference is that while hotels use trick photography to make the rooms look bigger, girls tend to do the opposite.

Also best not to make online hotel bookings when under the influence of alcohol.

I use Booking.com and Agoda on a monthly basis for working reasons in Europe and have not had  "very bad" surprises so far. However, i will go, for most of the times, only for hotels that have a rating of at least 8.0 and will check their ratings also on other websites and read guest reviews on TripAdvisor or similar, before making a reservation. By selecting rooms with a rating of at least 8.0 i have been saved from very bad experiences so far in that description and photos were pretty much accurate, although, sometimes the room photos could be dated and the actual room was much more worn out, but a simple complaint to the desk will fix that, in most of the times.

If i am not wrong, booking.com and Agoda belong to the same people, difference being that with the former the prices shown are inclusive of taxes and the latter you will have to add the local taxes.

It can become worthwhile to subscribe to Agoda (its free), all it takes is that you subscribe on their website and when doing a research, to log in first, so that the special rates will appear on your screen. By doing this you will get special offer for members with some very interesting deals, for some of the hotels. In addition, for every dollar/euro spent you will accumulate points and once you reach a minimum level you can cash in these point against a new booking.

But it's always worth taking your time and do some shopping to compare rates. For this i use always: hotelscombined.com and trivago.com, many times you can find from other major websites shown on these two search engines the same room at a couple of dollars less. If you intend to stay for 2 or 3 weeks...it can add up to a nice little amount saving you maybe the cost of one night or for a nice meal out.

have you got anything to share with us???

If i am not wrong, booking.com and Agoda belong to the same people, difference being that with the former the prices shown are inclusive of taxes and the latter you will have to add the local taxes.

.... and the fact, that with Booking.com; the hotel does not automatically debit the Stay onto your Credit Card... it allows me to actually pay CASH at the hotel. That way I also save on "low Exchange Rates" from the Bank on my Credit Card - and also additional FOreign Transaction Fees  (another 3%) charged by the Credit Card Bank...

However, one bad experience (with a Refund) with Agoda - and never used them again!!

Thats also the reason i use booking.com, i want to be concentrating on the hotel facilities when i'm booking not taking a maths exam adding up all the extras

So all taxes are included with booking.com?

.... and the fact, that with Booking.com; the Hotel does not automatically debit the Stay onto your Credit Card... it allows me to actually pay CASH at the Hotel. That way I also save on "low Exchange Rates" from the Bank on my Credit Card - and also additional FOreign Transaction Fees  (another 3%) charged by the Credit Card Bank...

However, one bad experience (with a Refund) with AGODA - and never used them again!!

totally agree. for my private hotel reservations i normally use booking.com, also for the reasons described above. However i use for business travel always Agoda, the company is paying for the hotel expenses and i collect the points and once in a while when travelling privately i use those points to cash-in for a stay at a flash 5 star hotel....

So all taxes are included with booking.com?

yes.. they are here in uk. for Agoda we have to add on 17%

I use Agoda mostly and will check the hotel website if available and other booking sites to double check details and prices.

I get suspicious when a room has 9 photos.  All of them of different angles of the bed except maybe an arty photo of a side table or bathroom basin!

What are they hiding?

No shots of the bathroom (so small you have to leave it to turn around) or what the view is like (probably a brick wall).

So I steer clear of those room offers.

If it is a decent size and has a decent sized bathroom and bed then OK I'll book it.

I don't like showers over the bathtub or pokey showers with plastic shower curtains that stick to you!

I can't believe these rooms that advertise at $80 or more a night and only have 1 photo (maybe of the bed!)  WTF!

I prefer a separate double sized shower with glass doors and would forgo a bathtub.

So if the photos show these must-haves I usually book them and they mostly turn out to be as advertised.

The rooms sometimes look bigger in photos than what they really are, but are usually big enough for me.

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

Archived