Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

UK The airport VAT scam

Docker

From today's Independent

Some of Britain’s top retailers are facing calls to be more honest with airport customers as they pocket millions of pounds in VAT discounts on duty free items without passing on the savings.

Many stores in airports across the UK now demand that passengers present their boarding cards at checkouts before paying for any goods. But that is not a legal requirement, and instead the information is being used by stores to avoid paying 20 per cent VAT on everything they sell to customers who are travelling outside the European Union.

Research by The Independent suggests the majority of these stores are passing little if any of the savings to customers, and instead are using the tax rebate to boost the profits of their airport franchises.

Consumer rights experts have accused shops of failing to be clear about the practice, and called for customers to be much more wary about so-called duty free purchases.

“I think the problem here is that the retailers are not being straight with the public,” said the consumer affairs expert, Paul Lewis. “They are asking to see passengers’ boarding cards but not telling them that this is so they can make more money by not paying the VAT on what they’re selling. What of course they should be doing is passing on the savings that they make to the passengers who are travelling outside Europe. “The problem is, though, that they have got a captive audience,” said the BBC radio presenter of Money Box Live.

Ref: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/retailers-told-to-come-clean-after-being-accused-of-pocketing-millions-from-vat-discounts-on-airport-dutyfree-sales-10446111.html

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

Exactly why I can't remember the last time I purchased anything from a duty free shop in the UK. It just isn't cheap when you compare it to other duty free places outside the EU.

Hi Guys

Will be flying to Bangkok from Heathrow next week and will join the anti revolt against

the showing of boarding cards with purchase of goods or anything.

Just another rip off at airports for duty free goods which are cheaper on the high street.

Exactly why I can't remember the last time I purchased anything from a duty free shop in the UK. It just isn't cheap when you compare it to other duty free places outside the EU.

I will still be buying my bottle of JD on the way out to Thailand but will be refusing to show my boarding pass. Robbing b******s

f** em!   boycott!   

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

I will still be buying my bottle of JD on the way out to Thailand

I hope that you haven't fallen for the same thing as me. Whiskeys in LOS have a sort of in built plastic filter in the opening but those in UK do not. So I open the bottle, go to pour it with a few vigorous shakes and pour most of it over the table..!!

Regarding UK Duty Free: The only thing I ever bought that was worth the money both in terms of savings and longevity was a plastic swatch watch.........................

I hope that you haven't fallen for the same thing as me. Whiskeys in LOS have a sort of in built plastic filter in the opening but those in UK do not. So I open the bottle, go to pour it with a few vigorous shakes and pour most of it over the table..!!

Regarding UK Duty Free: The only thing I ever bought that was worth the money both in terms of savings and longevity was a plastic swatch watch.........................

I would never or at least never admit to spilling my JD, I buy it at the duty free because of the security regulations @ the airport on liquids it is not really that much cheaper and I like to have a drink in the room.

I actually gave up the booze for nearly a year and then got right back into it when i came back to LOS in May this year. At least I know what is going to kill me :-)

thats an Optic bottle , its quite easy to get the contents out just get the right angle of the bottle and it pours as normal

• 3 weeks later...

Typical of the ppl running our big businesses. I remember the number of shops that didn't pass the vat cut on when the govt reduced it for a year or 18 months during the financial crisis. Robbing cunts should be slammed up in a gulag!!!

Archived